Marantz CD63 & CD67 mods list

Matthieu, I've never had a tube amp, only owned a Sherwood receiver (A/B solid), Roksan Kandy (A/B solid), Roksan Caspian (A/B solid), LM3886 DIY chip amp (class B chip), Marantz MA500s (monoblocks class A/B solid) and Carlsbro PA amp (class A/B solid).

Currently the rig is bass on modded Carlsbro amp and mid & tweet on LM3886. There's no trace of the class T problems and not a tube or class A beast in sight.... though a class A amp would deliver quite the opposite of the T-amps in some areas (ie weak areas replaced by strong yet both delivering much detail and openness). As far as I can hear the closer you are to class A the better an amp is likely to sound (other variables blurring this "truth" to varying degrees.) Amps like Brent has (mostly class A) or Lee has (again, mostly class A) show, to my ears, that it's the only way to go. Only time I've heard Pass Aleph amps I also felt it was 100% correct with no weakness. From the few dozen amps or systems I've heard it seems unless it's class A (or maybe at least very low crossover distortion - as maybe attained by the LM3886 and similar good power op-amps) you just don't get the natural life in the midrange, an open sound or natural detailing. It will always be a bit compressed and nasal with somewhat etched and tiresome transients and sibilants.
Just purchased a chinese amp a yaquin mc 10L VALVE job what an amp 50 watts rms into 8omns so smooth my mordant shorts love it . ive got 2 or 3 class a amps here no where close to what im hearing from this 300 gbp amp .
cheers alan

I hope you've read the various threads about these Chinese amps.
They seem to fry themselves and some have earth and other faults.

Andy

The problem with chinese amps is the voltage 220v mine so i dropped the input to 220v via a tranny runs sweet now did get hot at first cool now heater voltage @6.3v as el34bs should run overall a well made amp just needed a few tweeks. ( think they have modded them @ the factory now to gb voltage 240 .)
thanks alan.

I was having a bad week and over-reacted. I assumed it was the palyer and didn't try another amp and just furiously paced it up and sent to Brent. I should have now better,especially as B. has never made a mistake (with me)! Also I have never had any shipping damage. SOOOOOOOOOO. I'm a true blue wank-er. Costly mistake. Well anyway while it's there, some more wee mods are in order. I'm seriously embarrased and admit it publically. So there!