Marantz CD63 & CD67 mods list

Alan, the cd52 is the better sounding player if you prefer a warmer sound, but the CD63 is amazingly well-proven in terms of mods and the gains they bring!

I could have told you you'd not like the HDAM bypass without other serious work (in fact, didn't I tell you?) lol. Don't worry though, the servo mods will make big gains with ZERO negatives, unless the machine functions erratically due to regs not having enough juice / headroom. That is only if you go as far as putting those regs in though.

Stabby, Ian's advice regarding the resistor/wire link regulator placement is exactly what I'd have said had I not been eating pizza or in the pub. Thanks Ian!

Alan, the cd52 is the better sounding player if you prefer a warmer sound, but the CD63 is amazingly well-proven in terms of mods and the gains they bring!

I could have told you you'd not like the HDAM bypass without other serious work (in fact, didn't I tell you?) lol. Don't worry though, the servo mods will make big gains with ZERO negatives, unless the machine functions erratically due to regs not having enough juice / headroom. That is only if you go as far as putting those regs in though.

Stabby, Ian's advice regarding the resistor/wire link regulator placement is exactly what I'd have said had I not been eating pizza or in the pub. Thanks Ian!
Fair play simon,
need the regs done may i email that ok. ;
cheers alan

Gentlemen,
i have a question about this coax mod (cd63) -drive > hf-amp- : How do i connect the shield without creating a ground-loop? I was searching the thread but couldn't find a clear answer.
I was told to connect the shield always at both ends, otherwise it would work as an antenna, picking up noise...
Some comments from those who already performed this mod?

Regards,
Mickie

Wow what a huge thread !!!

Have anyone tried to change TCA0372 with LM3886 ?
This should work at +/-12v voltage supply quite well.

I plan to implement such mod into an AvantGarde CDI and I wonder if someone have some experience.

Thanks/Regards,
Tibi

I'm quoting this from page 663 as I was wondering if anyone had done such extensive modding on their servo section yet?

What got me thinking about it is the clearly superior (to most players) sound of the Marantz CD94 which, amongst other things, has a beefier servo section than later and/or cheaper players.

When this was raised 3 years ago it was shot down by Martin Clark as unlikely to be an improvement, but I'd at least like to know what else, then, makes the CD94 such a monster. I get the feeling that other players with a similar chipset will always lack a certain something even with extremely extensive mods. I have my reasons for saying this and wondered if anyone here knew about those parts of the old players and how it could be used to upgrade something like a CD63/7.

Simon

You can do the 63 without regulating and/or with regulating the servo driver psu, of course regualiting improves further. The one thing that needs sorting regardless is the psu. Disconnecting the tx for the +/- 10V is required and fit in the player a 2x 12V 30va - 50va tx to supply these rails. It makes a massive improvement. You can then run the regs at +/- 12V dc

Brent

Joined 2006
Paid Member
I have a dedicated psu for the servo chip with local sregs and a clock but i did not regulate the drivers. I had a misfortune while doing it and blew one of the driver opamps so I decided to leave them alone... The pcb is quite damaged in that place. I am sorry I did not know better in those days :)

I will keep it in mind when I get another cd53 to work on.

Think I may have bitten off more than I can chew guys! Still cant seem to get the unit to power up at all, also the solder I bought through eBay doesn't go shiny after use, its more like a dull silver...its supposed to be multicore branded 4% silver.

Tried the mains input but no luck. Just to check the neutral (blue) should be soldered to cold and the live (brown) should be soldered to hot?

Running out of ideas and thinking that this might not have been such a good idea after all!

Adam :(

Think I may have bitten off more than I can chew guys! Still cant seem to get the unit to power up at all, also the solder I bought through eBay doesn't go shiny after use, its more like a dull silver...its supposed to be multicore branded 4% silver.

Tried the mains input but no luck. Just to check the neutral (blue) should be soldered to cold and the live (brown) should be soldered to hot?

Running out of ideas and thinking that this might not have been such a good idea after all!

Adam :(
What you doing adam iec conversion,
CHEERS ALAN
:)