Marantz CD63 & CD67 mods list

This is with Ray's Dos board, not Burson, but yes the running in is pretty frustrating and you wonder if it will ever get there. I don't know how much adding more s'regs will achieve but I would like to have ray's Flea board as well. I think the long run in is due to the new SI caps and the Blackgates more than anything else. As I am feeling greedy ( read neurotic) I am saving pennies for an alternative sound/version; namely a 63 KI done differntly (but just as deeply) In self interest and so no one snaps it up before me, I'm withholding the source! I reckon actually that both Ray and brent are underestimating the breakin in time for their work; I would say it's going to be more like 200 hours before it reaches its level. People who say there is no such thing have serious hearing problems and should not be into audio....the first 75 hours were grim: no bass, shouting mids and total flat soundstaging. You gotta be a nut to go thru this. I don't know if it made any difference but I took advice this time and proceeded as follows; 12 hours on with something running continuosly thru, and 12 hours off. I could wish for more fluidity...silk, velvet, warm air (did I mention I was a neurotic, weened on TAS?) but maybe I'm expecting too much from a frumpy old black box.

Last edited:
Ah the dreaded polystyrenes! I keep promising a picture but putting it off because it means lifting the chassis brace and getting the light just right, otherwise you can't really see anything. Has anyone got a player with both the DOS board and the FLEA on-board? any thoughts on this combo? Yeah I have the itch.... I was given a very unexpected and nice cd recently, that really shows off what this player is capable of; Jane Birkin "Arabesque". Glorious live recording, very interesting arrangements and for a change her mousey voice is charming. HOT TIP!

NOT FAIR! come one, beat your own drum! hey you're one of the alpha males, you have the right.

Ok: I lay on my couch every day, listening to streams of silver music entering my livingroom. I am dazed by the music, not able to think straight, comfortably numb....

If you don't have that, you are definitely in need of a Flea! :D

Attachments

• DAC_TDA1541A_1.jpg
    DAC_TDA1541A_1.jpg
    234.4 KB · Views: 143
Thanks guys!

Yep, it's the AnalogMetric PCB. I think it's a nice and simple way to start my TDA1541 adventure. The 7220 doesn't have it's own supply, but all the chips do have their own voltage regulator(s). There's room for an oscillator and 4040 to do some direct clocking, but i've re-wired it so the CS8414's clock signals are used. I want to start at the beginning first and see what happens if the clocking is improved.

Ray