Marantz CD63 & CD67 mods list

dear friends,
my first encounter & mod with CD63 is over. DAC out direct to SRPP, 6X4 tube rectifier & a pair of 6N1P with voltage divider on output is finally done, including a DIY chassis. IMO, not quite a TDA1541 NOS-Tube Out on mids & highs, should came closer with matching resistors & coupling caps..but boy..I envy that sweet bass!

thanks all & the cheese talks reminded me of nice 'jong-belegen', now I hope to get one CD63-67 for my self ..

best
TeguhPS

IMGDEAD]

IMGDEAD]

Hi friends,
My name is Sid. I am relatively very new to the forum and this is my first post.

I am basically an owner of Quad electronics - 99/909/11L2 with which i have Marantz 7001 as a source.

Now i have my friend who assists me with the mods here with the bit of knowledge to solder here n there that he has. As many i am also too convinced with Ray's suggestions as they come from experience.

And i had hence placed the order for the Black Gate & Nichigon caps to be going into the 7001.

I just have caught by apprehensions before getting them placed on the board, basically replacing the old ones. So need a bit of help from Ray & other senior members:

1) CAUTIONS
What cautions need be taken w.r.t circuitary before/while putting these caps on the locations as prescribed? (*i mean, do we need to disable a circuit or make mods to any of the existing ones?)

2) COMPLICATIONS
I was told by someone, that there could be issues of HISS, issues in rev/cue issues with introduction of these parts. I am a lil skeptical, since i did get a Hiss when i had modded my 909 with Blackgates/Nichigons. But thats an acceptable tweeter Hiss, which fades while playing the music and not audible after 5-7ft distance.

3) I shall certainly come back with the positions which I have asked to place the BlackGates/Nichigons on, as suggested by Ray.

Unfortunately i am from farlands, else would have happily pass the set onto Ray so receive his technical assistance on the set.

I shall have to request more pointers w.r.t DAC & Phase-ii of Marantz 7001 upgrade in times to come. Yet it shall be generous of experts to assist w.r.t get the best off my Marantz SA7001 for now.

Many thanks
Sid

trehansid ( at ) gmail.com

Hi TeguhPS,
nice work even if as you may have read before you started by changing tires to slick instead of making a race engine ;) It sound changes the most with work before the DAC, seros regulation, clean PSUs ( at least separated 5Vs... ). Anyway, good start!

Sid,
I've never heard of problem or even noises, nor had problem or noises, when changing caps. They change the sound "color" and "quality" bot nothing more. Maybe when new for few hours?
Go and enjoy!

Matthieu

Hi Matthieu, thanks. I certainly will mod the engine first on my own marantz when I got one. My friend just too eager and can not wait any longer, don't even want to change the caps around the DAC as well...grrrrh! just bypass the poor old brown elna's with orange drop

and Sid, go ahead, enjoy your tweak !

TeguhPS

Hi Matthieu, thanks. I certainly will mod the engine first on my own marantz when I got one. My friend just too eager and can not wait any longer, don't even want to change the caps around the DAC as well...grrrrh! just bypass the poor old brown elna's with orange drop

TeguhPS

Thanks for the tip & assurance dear.
Somehow my comment could not be added to your msg that i quoted in my last reply via mobile.

@ everyone
Any further pointers to do up the Marantz 7001 are more than welcome.
i use B&W 805s with them, along with XLO Ultra-6 + muscled up Quad 909.

A sincere note of thanks!

TeguhPS

@ everyone
Any further pointers to do up the Marantz 7001 are more than welcome

Hi Sid, and welcome to this thread. Tweaking the 7001 will give great results IMO, it has lots of potential. If you'd like to take it slow to begin with, just start with some simple mods. Swap out some electrolytics in the power supply and change the filter caps in the analog filter. Save the original components, in case you don't like the results (which is doubtful...) but do give it some time to settle after a mod.

Regards,

Ray

Thanks Ray.

Its only ur mod list and words shared on the website that got me some confidence to try n open my beloved player.

Might bother you again. Have actually started a new thread as didnt want to mix things up here on the thread. Over there, i could share pics of the board and my views post the listening session.

Pleasure to be here and many thanks for your kind words. I shall certainly follow pointers shared in here by you and other friends.

Thanks once again.

My regards
Sid

dear friends,
my first encounter & mod with CD63 is over. DAC out direct to SRPP, 6X4 tube rectifier & a pair of 6N1P with voltage divider on output is finally done, including a DIY chassis. IMO, not quite a TDA1541 NOS-Tube Out on mids & highs, should came closer with matching resistors & coupling caps..but boy..I envy that sweet bass!

thanks all & the cheese talks reminded me of nice 'jong-belegen', now I hope to get one CD63-67 for my self ..

best
TeguhPS

Nice work! But those old caps really have to go... :D

Since you are having too much gain (I reckon that's why you use a divider), may I recommend a passive filter (DOS-style) between the output stage and the DAC? It will get rid of most HF garbage, and reduce the overall gain of the stage because it attenuates around 6dB. This way you may not have to use the divider.

Ray

Hi Ray, I know, those brownies elco's should go, sigh..if only I've had cerafines then..
You're right Ray, gain is high, luckily the dividers are Allen Bradley's. I hope it will reduce some upstream 'damages'. I'm still collecting your tips hehe..adding the DOS..wish me luck finding CD63 -67 here locally

TeguhPS

Hi there,

after having fried a poor TDA1541A and noticed prior to this sad end a warm top lid on that player I'm know loosing my sanity finding the CD43's top lid warm also :'(
Is it the case of yours? My cheap thermometer indicates 34°C, wonder how much the air and parts are inside... maybe I'm no more sain a long time ago, maybe when stock a CD-43 still runs warm around TX... or not...

Do I need to rush to the plug prior to house's fire?