Marantz CD63 & CD67 mods list

Joined 2006
Paid Member
Yes keep going it is much cheaper this way ;)

Brent

Now these are very good news :):):)

I recently atended the Audio Fair in Estoril and found myself puzzled because I only liked the mega€ systems.

Even the AR with the little puppyes did not excite me.... I wonder if it has something to do with the kind of sound I am used today at home :D

And my CDP is only slightly better than stock compared to yours.

Ricardo

Cool action Brent! :cool:

Your über-modded player wipes the floor :D. This nicely illustrates what these players are capable of. What output stage is in there, Bursons?

BTW, did you see my C2 review?

Ray

Hi Ray

Oh I missed that post about the C2. Thank you very much ;)

My output is the original DOS using Fets but with 0.1% resistors , Silver Mica caps, uprated coils in filter, BG FK , 4x SPower regs and Mundorf Silver/Gold for output.

Brent

...One note upfront, the CFP version has a 1dB higher output value then the standard DOS. The standard DOS btw was equal to a standard philips player.

The measurement with 1kHz testtone, set at 0dB at the analyser:

__________________2kHz__________3kHz
371 standard player_-65dB__________-65dB
DOS______________-68dB__________-55dB
CFP______________-68dB__________-60dB

So some 5dB better at 3kHz. Does this allign with the theory ??? :D

Hi Guido,

Nice results! Seems fine to me, less third harmonic is good, because that one sounds less pleasant to the human ear. Distortion goes from 0,18% to 0,10%, which seems marginal, but it has almost halved. This is what i've found during the simulations also: distortion is already low, but with CFP it's about half the value.

I'm working on mine at the moment, still waiting for some parts. But most important is that it sounds very good! We all know that this can not always be captured with measuring equipment... ;)

Ray

We all know that this can not always be captured with measuring equipment... ;)

Ray

Yeah, according to the theory and measurements, the 371 should sound best ;)

But i need to have a look for some narrowband filtering equipment. So i can remove the 1kHz and really look at the other frequencies. There is some stuff like that on ebay, mmm.

But i now have a working DOS (i hope, modded the second channel aswell, but not tested yet). So it is time to continue with the other idea i had. It's in this thread somewhere :cool: but at the time, nobody noticed.

My DOS board is ready and willing and soon on Brent's bench to be installed with other goodies. I'll probably never catch up to the Meister, but I can try! It's really encouraging to know that we can whip those poor uber players at their game. The only occasion I've had to compair mine (which is middle level modded) was with a Teac of a similar generation. Totally unfair of course! even with a VDAC (Musical Fidelity) trying gamely to help it out, the Teac sounded rough and closed in. My only gripe is that every time I take a step forward, you guys come up with something new and I have to pack it up again. The last time was during the big snow in UK and it ended up being routed to Memphis Tenn. and took weeks to come home. One day it will get lost if this keeps up...I fear for my sanity.