Marantz CD63 & CD67 mods list

I use a C-L-C filter with a 32+32uF (2.5mohm) and a 100+100uF (0.8mohm), and behind that a 50+50uF (1.6mohm) for the driver and preamp stage. All are the radial HV types.

<STRIKE>I think you have a typo on your website, 22 ohm is a bit high :D</STRIKE>

EDIT: ESR is measured at 100Hz with these, but a few mohm is low, could they really be that low??? I just copied the numbers from the Mundorf datasheet... Your's look more feasable Brent.

Ray

Hi Ray

Mundorf had a typo on some their pdfs, originally their 25V 22000uF stated 0.22 ohm which was too low. The updated sheet then stated 22 ohm. Comparing that with a 25V 22000 BHC Aerovox with 48 ohm @ 100Hz.

Those Oscon SEPC 6.3V 470uF I use on digital rails have an esr of 0.07 ohm @ 100Khz & ripple rated @ 5600 mA!!

Great thread this, I can't see it dying for quite a long time yet.

Brent

Joined 2006
Paid Member
Well, in that case these caps must really sound very good.

IMO, low ESR is fundamental for overall definition.

In attach you can find my collection of low ESR caps with values.

Recently found a BC components (Philips) 22.000uF 63v with 5mohm ESR !

Attachments

• Low esr caps.zip
    8.9 KB · Views: 60
Last edited:
Back when a cd63 was my main music maker I had a coax run doing the HF signal from the mech board to the main pcb. It covers quite a lot of ground and saves the signal from going through a lot of pcb traces and a connector or two.

It makes the sound a lot more analogue, removing harshness and grit. Some call this type of improvement a reduction in digitalitis.

Simon