Marantz CD63 & CD67 mods list

Just a few PSU caps and perhaps some 4.7R resistors on the power rails. The power transformer is the main thing. Be careful how you wire it up, I think it will be a fairly annoying job.

Ray - you can't go wrong although I seem to have acquired a lot of new noise. I will re-route a power wire and see if it goes. I think in a quick dem the tx sound will lose every time, even to the HDAMs as it's much more subtle and less vibrant. But it is so much purer and less aggressive. My girlfriend and I both clearly preferred it playing Judith Owen (very well recorded jazz/folk) as the active stage was very in your face by comparison and less natural.

Simon

Hi Andy, nice to hear some more impressions about the transformers. My Lundahls say they are for microphones on them but in reality they suit a variety of line level applications and are quite versatile having a good frequency response and twin primaries and secondaries.

I think connecting after the first op-amp could give what's missing and hopefully not ruin the mature, refined sound they give.

Simon

Have you tried different connections??

i.e. parallel / serial on either primary or secondary

Andy

I use a C-L-C filter with a 32+32uF (2.5mohm) and a 100+100uF (0.8mohm), and behind that a 50+50uF (1.6mohm) for the driver and preamp stage. All are the radial HV types.

<STRIKE>I think you have a typo on your website, 22 ohm is a bit high :D</STRIKE>

EDIT: ESR is measured at 100Hz with these, but a few mohm is low, could they really be that low??? I just copied the numbers from the Mundorf datasheet... Your's look more feasable Brent.

Ray

Last edited: