Marantz CD63 & CD67 mods list

Hi Steve,

Try here Lee's (Thomo) site for the opamps and caps as well as some other goodies you might fancy trying!

Definately a seperate regulator on the 5v feed to the analogue DAC. Even better a low noise reg! If you fancy going that far let i'll post instruction!

Also, read rays mod list in the 1st post. Although it starts as a component replacement list, there are some details for other mods at the end of the doc (heaphone bypass, mute disable etc)

Ian

Last edited:
Another very tidy looking board Ray! How many boards did you have made? i'm wondering about the set up costs for a small PCB. Ian

Thanks, I like it when things look nice and neat :D

I ordered a small batch of just 10 pcs. at The PCBShop.com. There are no startup or tooling costs. The PCB's are made in a print-pooling system, where small batches are clustered with 'the big guys', so costs are relatively low. Took them less than 10 days to deliver them :cool:.

And for those who are interested: Partsconnexion has a 20% off (almost) everything sale. They carry a good inventory of BG's...

Regards,

Ray

Ray,

I took out the old regs so I had 3 empty holes, and was soldering a wire (unconnected on the other side) to the Vin (coming from the transformer) hole. The spark happened as I approached Vin with my soldering iron, and might have been caused by:

VIn - Soldering iron
VIn - Soldering Iron - Ground
VIn - Soldering Iron - VOut

At the time the board was out of the chassis/frame, so there was no ground really.

Probably a capacitor discharge Vin <> GND. The main smoothing caps cannot release their charge if the regulators are out, so there is a remaining energy in the caps, even if the PCB is disconnected for some time. Check with a voltmeter and discharge with a 100R resistor.

Like Ian says, put the original ones back in, to make sure nothing's damaged. Otherwise you'll be solving two problems at once if one of your regs doesn't work.

Regards,

Ray

Last edited:
It's alive! .... Alive!

At least when using the old regs. After I discovered it's still alive, I put in the lm317/337 and alas, that didn't work (disc spins, just no sound at all, no errors)...

Output voltages of the lm317/377 were 11.9V and 10,9V (which is a bit odd, but could be measurement error due to my testing setup).

3 wires, what do you mean? I used 3 wires for testing as you said.
Connected Vin and Ground to the Reg, and Vout and Ground to the multimeter.

Very likely I busted the PCB traces and metal around the holes since I soldered and desoldered a couple of times (desoldering the old ones,testing new ones, putting back old ones to see if the machine still works, desoldering, putting in the new ones etc etc). So I will probably need to hard-wire the broken connections to the next point (e.g. Vin to the Vout of the nearest elco)

Last edited:
Thanks, it looks so much cooler than a home-made PCB, with solder mask and silk screen :cool:
I'm thinking about rebuilding the one in my SA8400 :D

Finally this forum accepts larger image sizes :up:

Ray,
Those boards look really nice.
However, the lack of having one last year made me learn how to design one, and taught me a new skill.
But with you now having those nice boards more people can easily make up a DOS, which everyone should have in their players!
The DOS is still the single biggest improvement I have ever made in audio.

Steve