Marantz CD63 & CD67 mods list

Hi Matthieu

I believe you made a perfect sumary of the main mods.

The LM340AT for the main +5v and the styroflex 2.2n at the decoder are really sound openers.
The LM4562 on dedicated regs are very powerfull mods (of course one needs to loose the HDAM and output caps and resistors)

PS: What type of TT are you using ?

Ricardo

Hi Ricardo!

I must have miss the styroflex 2.2n mod at the decoder while browsing this thread lastime. Which part of the decoder should I put this on? Thanks!

Eddy

Problem solved... had a look at the schematics and realized I just cut the output by removing the caps... Wired them, and works again.

I guess I don't need to tell you this but the difference is HUGE!
Placing becomes more accurate (not as blurry as it was) and detail improves. Very happy with my first tweak!:):)

Good work!

Eddy,
it's the C505 cap.

IMO, Ruby ZA are quite good in digital areas but in analog supplies they tend to produce a "thin" sound...... wonderfull detail with low distortion but somehow lacking in the low freq area.

What I notice whenever I've used Black Gates is a more forward midrange that is fluid and sweet. The sound is detailed in spite of a relaxed presentation. If only some other caps could confer this type of improvement :(

Silmics are really smooth and full-bodied sounding caps with a nice, flowing nature. They are veiled in the detail department compared to Black Gate, ZA. The Silmic II does have a better top end than the older "mk1" version, but is still not up to Black Gate levels. However, if ZA are too dry for your tastes, I have found a combination of Silmic's directly after regs and ZA right at the loads is a really nice combination when BG are unavailable.

I really like the Nichicon Muse caps, these seem a little more open sounding than Silmic, but I haven't directly compared them.

Cheers, Lee.