Marantz CD63 & CD67 mods list

Hey Brent, received the C2 today, thanks man! :cool:

I have to wait until my 33.8688MHz XO arrives from Tentlabs, and then I can get out the 'scope and do a 1:1 comparison :smash:

Ray

Hi Ray, Brent,
I've not visited the thread in a long time, so went back and had a little run thru of a past couple months. I did read in an early September post that you (Ray) were doing some modifications to the C2, but nothing since then.

Several months ago I ordered one of the VSE Terra Firma clocks, the inplayer one, and finally got it in August. It's quite an improvement over the SC3 that it replaced in my 8260. But TF is quite expensive. With that and the DOS, I finally put the screws back in the lid, for good I think.
However, I do have another player (8260) with a DOS, and it could use a better clock than the Tent that's in it. I know you've likely not heard a TF implemented player, but I will be awaiting news of how the C2 evolves.

Steve

Hi Steve,

I assume you bought the 'Lite' version? Quite a steep price for what looks like an opamp based supply with an LC filter and a Tentlabs XO! :eek:
I could've built you a nice Flea with PSU for a fraction of that! Too bad, no jitter specification in their product info...

I have the C2 in my CD63KI now, I still have to do some thorough listening tests and hook it up to the servo chip, but the first series of measurements show the C2 performs very well.

Regards,

Ray

I've been running the C2 for a few months now. It replaced a Trichord4. I've not got a bad word to say about it!

http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/showthread.php?p=1851461#post1851461

The C2 has multiple outputs. In the 63, you can direct clock the DAC, decoder and servo which will give you massive gains over a std single clock upgrade. All the C2's have the new SEPC ultra low noise caps which I think Brent was waiting for on the 1st 1 or 2 he got. On TDA1541A players, you can clock everything from a C2. DAC, Filter, Decoder, and DEM reclock. I think i'm using 5 Clock supplies!

Couple of pics attached also one of the 1st new SPowers currently sitting on the -15v rail of my philips player!

Just noticed in the picture, I really should swap those diodes for Hexfreds!!!!

Ian

Attachments

• DAC.JPG
    DAC.JPG
    339.1 KB · Views: 175
  • New SPower.jpg
    New SPower.jpg
    35 KB · Views: 170
Last edited:
Hi Steve,

I assume you bought the 'Lite' version? Quite a steep price for what looks like an opamp based supply with an LC filter and a Tentlabs XO! :eek:
I could've built you a nice Flea with PSU for a fraction of that! Too bad, no jitter specification in their product info...

I have the C2 in my CD63KI now, I still have to do some thorough listening tests and hook it up to the servo chip, but the first series of measurements show the C2 performs very well.

Regards,

Ray

Hi Ray,
Yes I did buy the Lite version. On looks, it doesn't look any different from the previous VSE clock. I went with it because I trusted the designer, Joe Rasmussen. I've built other things Joe has designed and if he says something does something, it does. He did some psu filtering of some sort with the old clock, and with good results. If I remember correctly, Joe concentrated on removing low frequency jitter, and got a good result. I hear significantly more bass. This is very noticeable as my speakers, F3-55 and F10-38, aren't their best at the lowest end, but there is a lot more there now. And this seems to continue all up the frequency spectrum. You just plain hear more music. It's not quite as much an improvement as going from stock to DOS, but it's the same kind of improvement.
I had been quite satisfied with the SC3 and a new psu on one of Brent's new boards. I wasn't sure what to expect with TF. I just hoped I'd feel I made a good choice with my money. It only took a couple seconds to hear the improvement with the new clock, and I was much relieved.
The TF is expensive, for sure. And it was a bit of a reach for me to spend that kind of money on a clock. But like I wrote, the TF with DOS is a real killer!!!! When I get to the second player some day, I'm sure I'll have some affordable choices to choose from right here.

Steve

I've tweaked my player again!

Added a 25V 22000uF Mundorf HC (parallel with the BlackGate 25V 4700uF) on the +10V rail giving a total of 26,700uF. I have also added another Spower reg to the dac analogue so that there is a reg for L & R.

Not sure if the second reg has made much difference (probably due to the isolation the single reg was running on) but the extra uF on the +10V rail has helped with bass weight.

Brent

Hi Ray,

Have you gone into business?

Regards

Pete

No, not officially, but sometimes I build stuff for others for a DIY price :D
Especially if I can prevent that people have to pay €400 for a clock...

Of course the selling price also has to cover the 'intellectual design' portion of the builder, but some audio-stores have lost their mind and the stuff is way overpriced.

I'm glad that you're happy with the clock Steve, that's what's most important!

Regards,

Ray

Last edited: