Marantz CD63 & CD67 mods list

Joined 2006
Paid Member
Hi Matthieu

You should consider creating a universal star gnd (where all gnd go to !)

I did not have any gnd loop issues after this mod.

Ricardo

As you are "hands on" right now, maybe you should also consider using two regs for the decoder, on a dedicated psu.

The most important reg is on dac analog... do you have it separated yet ?

RCruz said:
Hi Matthieu

You should consider creating a universal star gnd (where all gnd go to !)

I did not have any gnd loop issues after this mod.

Ricardo

As you are "hands on" right now, maybe you should also consider using two regs for the decoder, on a dedicated psu.

The most important reg is on dac analog... do you have it separated yet ?

Hi Ricardo,
in fact I'm not hands on right now but on my tiny DOS boards :) And all depends of all, it's mainly a room and left parts issue;
I may fit my russian caps and the DOS boards near the DAC, then DOS 317/337 based regs near the DOS to save 2 caps, use unused 12 schottkys to build 3 PSUs (I have load of TX but they are not toroid or R-core sadly, anyway they'll add juice :)), one is 1.6VA, another 7VA and the last unkown but size like the 7VA for the same output voltage, then check how many Rubycon ZL are left and if they are big enough for smooting after the rectifiers, the regs I may use, 5x LM317 and 1 LT1086 CT left, but no 365R to adjust them, maybe dozen of 121 wich can do 3x121 sor 363R...(wich is the way I powered my 74HC74!) or some red LEDs wich I don't know if it's the same or better, or better on D than A... then room issue to fit all this near the DAC... then still 5x LT1086 5V... so many possibilities... and room issue in my head also.
I have no idea where to use what but the fact adjusatble may be used first. If I have parts to adjust... and caps like 10µF Tants for LT...
TX1 7VA : DAC analog by it's own? With Decoder Analog? LM317
TX2 unkown ( removed from a 9W TEAC tape reader...) DAC digital the LT1086 adjustable and Decoder two 317 (D alone or with A?) also all other ICs with the left LT1086 5V?
TX3 1.6VA : clock ref? 317
and many more 1.6VA... and LT1086 5V and then 7805...
New issue: I've no wires, I use left ones (copper only, many are of... wihte metal) saved from I don't remeber where...

And the star ground, I fix a round thingy where all the grounds go (and so cut traces at ICs then and link it there instead of PCB) and link it to? The Star ground of the RCAs? Somewhere on the case? I have no idea of what a ground loop may sound like... then the top PCBs links to bottom's ground still have to be removed but at the RCAs?

My problems in order : how will I fit that caps and DOS boards in?
How will I fit the 317/337 for the DOS? (oh yes I can leave them near the TX but I want less caps and them to be near where the need to be...)
How, with all that stuff around the DAC, will I be able to fit dedicated analog reg and digital reg and clock ref reg? And all this must be in line, nicely done.
Fitting fixed regs will be easier!
But wait... I'll have to fit the TXs! OMG...

That's hell boys... (and I MUST close the player when I want to try it, my son is 5yo so no way to leave main or any electric device in his reach. A bit painfull to test upgrades).

Got a headache now...

Matthieu

Joined 2006
Paid Member
Hi Matthieu

Do one thing at the time.

I fixed my star gnd near the mains input (actually bolted a smal pcb full of wires in the right most screw of the main pcb).

You can use instead the point near the output jacks.

PS: I would not remove any of the circuit board gnd connections before beeing very sure about that move !!! :hot:

Ricardo

Yep,
I'll see what I can do... even if I feel the interconnect, speakers and integrated will be a bottle neck soon or even already!

Anyone heard of this very hype version of the CD-53?
http://www.audiocar.pl/system-cas/tuning/jocker/jocker.htm
Fancy case... still a CD-53, wonder how much they stole from customer for this High-End player...

I've read some about DACs and some early post here (when Brent was wondering if bypassinf the HDAM was good... so long ago...) and around on the Net to put things under the light of real world... even if Internet is closer to no-life than burning fingers on our iron...
When I read (TNT) that they compare a CD67KI to a CD6000 and seems they are close (dull for our beloved CDP line in factory setup) so than means even if through the CD43--63KI the gap were small and marketed so the new players are still not that better according to price range?
On the technical side if I understand well what's nice in our NPC DAC is the fact there is no analog cheap filter stuff included to kil the music?
The conclusion is that even with our mods (say standard like DAC & Servo reclock, dedicated regs, DOS for the added parts and full of lovely new caps or such around) so even with our mods we keep far away in upper sphere or what? That's nice, seems even tomorrow with a new'n hot CDP on the market ours can make far better music for far less money... we can buy records!

Oh that's true, they are so badly mastered... check out the DCC or any Master Tape version, amazing!

Matthieu sleepless.

The CD6000 use two of the SM5872 DACs, and an extra IC to split the digital signals. This probably adds extra jitter > sounds worse. Two DACs are more difficult to DOS. The rest of the player is not much different compared to the CD67, but the OSE uses HDAMs instead of opamps, which is nice. They probably put a second DAC in for marketing purposes :D.

On the technical side if I understand well what's nice in our NPC DAC is the fact there is no analog cheap filter stuff included to kil the music?

That's right, you should steer clear of any DAC that has voltage out AND doesn't need an analog filter :bawling:.

Regards,

Ray

I just modded a cd6000 KI for a customer, which is basically an OSE with the KI Toroid and copper plating with more Silmics.

I have to say, I've never had such an improved/impressive player after only a few mods. It really does sound fantastic and all I did is add a clock, SPower reg and swapped some caps.

I reckon the cd6000 is the best bang for buck player I've done so far.

Although I've just started an SA7001KI with promising results, lol.

Cheers, Lee.

I admit I found the 7001KI very bland at first. It had detail, but was flat and not very dynamic I thought.

It's come alive now after changing the dac filter elco's to ZA and also swapping the Cerafine's on the LPF/HDAM for ZA's (other cap changes made slight differences but these were the most impressive by far).

Did you find the dos such a large step up Ray? Considering the entire output section of the 7001 is already fully discrete, I wouldn't have thought it'd be such a huge difference. Then again, the existing output stage is rather complex.

Also, it's now only just on a par with my standard SA7003:D

Cheers, Lee.

Hi Lee,

My SA8400 was not very special either in standard form. CD playback was less than my tweaked CD67-OSE and SACD was only mildly better. But the DOS will make a big difference compared to the original circuit. I modded the original circuit first, with BG's and polystyrene caps and that was already a nice improvement. But the DOS added more detail, wider soundstage and more silent background. It's probably the large amount of negative feedback and complexity of the original circuit that is holding the player back. It is not supposed to sound too nice next to a SA15... (same DAC).

Finally the potential of SACD is revealed. Make sure you use the version for the SA8400 though.

A decent clock will also do wonders :D.

Regards,

Ray

6h5c said:
That's right, you should steer clear of any DAC that has voltage out AND doesn't need an analog filter :bawling:.
Ray, that's maybe the reason why the Onkyo DX-711 (aka DX-7011 with remote on other markets) wich use a Toshiba TC9237 do sound very good (better than a CD-53 in standard form).

Thomo said:
I reckon the cd6000 is the best bang for buck player I've done so far.

Lee, may I ask what is the real price, CDP as on used market and parts?

6h5c said:
It's probably the large amount of negative feedback and complexity of the original circuit that is holding the player back. It is not supposed to sound too nice next to a SA15... (same DAC).

Another case of less is more then:D

I'm pretty sure that I'm going to sell it on to be honest, as I got a great deal on a brand new SA7003. With both in stock form, this was miles ahead of the 7001KI, although the build quality is no where near as good. It has a custom filter and a newer dac and I suspect may be a better base for modding.

Malefoda said:

Lee, may I ask what is the real price, CDP as on used market and parts?

I recently saw a cd6000 OSE on ebay for £80 "buy it now", but they sometimes go for less. Adding a clock, SPower reg and a load of caps is probably around the £200 mark. Seeing as the output stage is already done for you pretty well, therefor you have much less work to do. So for less than £300 all in, I reckon it's cracking value.

Regards, Lee.

Malefoda said:
Ray, that's maybe the reason why the Onkyo DX-711 (aka DX-7011 with remote on other markets) wich use a Toshiba TC9237 do sound very good (better than a CD-53 in standard form).

Funny, the TC9237 looks like a SM5872 clone :D. The latter one has slightly better specs though. Onkyo uses a lot of nice DACs by the way!

Problem with integrated opamps and/or filter components is that you don't get to choose the opamp, and they are very close to the noisy digital die. The integrated resistors often have a huge tolerance.

Ray