Marantz CD63 & CD67 mods list

Surely the charge times on caps' that big is pretty stupid. I mean 580,00uF !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Wow!

In response to Simonty.....Do you really believe that a cable can be directional? That electrons flow better in one direction than another? Unless I misunderstand your setup spec's. Sorry to disagree but it's like saying that paint will dry better if you apply it one direction as opposed to the other. Excuse my cynicism but I am an Electrical Engineer, and I find that hard to swallow.

Also I have been into Hi-Fi for about 30 years and this seems to be like snake-oil. Hey, if it add's an extra X-pounds to the price though...........

Sorry guys.
Gareth

RCruz said:
I am not sure I should rise this matter again...

I see why now...

For the directionnal wire, as far as there is a screen on it wired to ground on source side this is directional wire, isn't it?
AFAIK many things are beyond just maths and science, bypass caps, sound of caps, way to PS like big cap, cheap 7805 for separated PS with higher impedance or adj expensive LT's then caps or no caps... pre-reg or no, passive etc... no thruth here, time, money, knowledge, taste...

For Ricardo: I will not fit such big caps, but I know you tried and liked it: that deserve respect, at least mine. I was thinking of charging my spare ultra-fast-rotary-rocket's battery to try to supply the CDP a bit... so sexy ;)

Challenge, freindship, help, diversity, engineer POV, I like this all. Next step, Mars !

Malefoda said:
AFAIK many things are beyond just maths and science, bypass caps, sound of caps, way to PS like big cap, cheap 7805 for separated PS with higher impedance or adj expensive LT's then caps or no caps... pre-reg or no, passive etc... no thruth here, time, money, knowledge, taste...

Don't say that to an engineer!! :bigeyes:

There are threads devoted to subjectivism vs objectivism, and this isn't one of them.

Simon

I'm not an engineer at all nor even ever has a course about what can be a resistors, I've no books I head to be burnt ;)
And my english is not good enough to talk of all this as keen as I want but when Alcatel Lucent put a screen on the signal wires it's not air-air situation; if I remeber well one case is a screen and the other one a shield, one is connected source side the other both ends.

Are this world communication leader's engineers all wrong?

I may not understand all as a layman but willing to understand ;)

Well i'm and electronics engineer and will never discount anything until i've tried it (not gay or anything lol) and when I wired my interconnects up a few years back the wrong way round (without realising) the sound was dull and shut in. Swapped round and back to normal.

Also all cable is directional but some manufacturers do not have the capabilities to measure the cable for direction. The direction is supposed to come from the way the cable is drawn in manufacture and it shapes the way the atomic structure of the cable lays thus affecting the signal flowing through it.

I also believe cables burn in and they seem to burn in in the direction wired.

This cannot be compared to a silly point such as paint drying lol.

I've heard some cables that sound the same both ways also.

Back onto the cap I often use 15000uF or 22000uf Mundorf HC caps to good effect on the 10V rail (closer to 12V).

Brent

Oh here we go again....engineer....yada yada yada.

Malefoda - Je parle francais un petit peu mais ce ne pas bon aussi. Ma epouse elle at francaise (Vosgienne), et tres belle aussi. Merci France. Mais ma Anglais ce ne pas bon aussi, c'est la vie, non? Qu'elle region t'habite ou?

Sorry Guys, but I have what are quoted to be directional cables and non-directional cables and to be quite honest I cannot tell the difference. I understand the objectivism vs. subjectivism argument but.....sorry. Try them one way, try them the other, who am I to argue. If you think it sounds better then it does. But I know that the electrical characteristics of all cables are exactly the same either way. Afterall electric is electric no? Psychological me thinks....

:D

Gareth

rowemeister said:
Not a very productive set of forum posts there Gareth!!

Let's get back to what's made this thread very friendly and popular.

Brent

How do you mean Brent? Not productive in what way? Not directing people to your products ? I thought this discussion was open to anyone, Engineer or shop-owner or general enthusiast. I am a little 'miffed' at your response. Opinions vary, that is what a discussion is about, no? Maybe I am wrong.

Gareth

"Surely the charge times on caps' that big is pretty stupid. I mean 580,00uF !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Wow!

In response to Simonty.....Do you really believe that a cable can be directional? That electrons flow better in one direction than another? Unless I misunderstand your setup spec's. Sorry to disagree but it's like saying that paint will dry better if you apply it one direction as opposed to the other. Excuse my cynicism but I am an Electrical Engineer, and I find that hard to swallow.

Also I have been into Hi-Fi for about 30 years and this seems to be like snake-oil. Hey, if it add's an extra X-pounds to the price though..........."

Not exactly a pleasent way of speaking to people!

+ I don't sell cables

Brent

o.k so here is a standard engineering practice, when signals must be carried through high noise environments. A two conductor with shield cable is used with the shield connected only at the input side. This tends to make the induced noise currents flow in the shield to ground rather than flow through the signal return line.
This finds use in noisey industrial applications but can be beneficial in the home audio environment as well .
So at least from this aspect no serpoid viscous fluids here.

but more to my interest, has anyone dropped in a pass D1 in a marantz yet?

Hi Gareth,
this thread is full of extremes in opinion.
It contains a mixture of very good information and very garbage information.
The regulars don't like being reminded that they tolerate both extremes.
I suspect someone would have complained about the viewpoint contained in your post even if you had made it with a very PC attitude.