Marantz CD63 & CD67 mods list

Joined 2006
Paid Member
hotiron said:
Yip 2 regs on decoder one on DAC one on servo and decided to give the processor its own reg ! The old 7805 has an easy life now and runs pretty cool. Lee going to make DOS PCB Cant wait!

More Madness to come! :angel:
Looking forward to know about those new madnesses...:D

I still have a question:

You are using only two regs on the decoder but this chip has three +5v inputs.

How did you make the connections ?

Can you please post a picture ?

I am considering placing three regs in the followin places:
R508 (Pin44 Vdd2 Digital +5v supply2)
R511 (Pin11 Vdda Analog +5V supply)
U179 (+5v to Pin15 Vdd1 Digital supp1)

Can you please comment on this setup ?

PS:
You will love the DOS..... Myne is still getting better after 3 weeks.... The sound is awesome right now.

Regards

Ricardo

RCruz said:

You are using only two regs on the decoder but this chip has three +5v inputs.

How did you make the connections ?

Can you please post a picture ?

I am considering placing three regs in the followin places:
R508 (Pin44 Vdd2 Digital +5v supply2)
R511 (Pin11 Vdda Analog +5V supply)
U179 (+5v to Pin15 Vdd1 Digital supp1)

Can you please comment on this setup ?

PS:
You will love the DOS..... Myne is still getting better after 3 weeks.... The sound is awesome right now.

Regards

Ricardo

Hi Ricardo sorry about that. I only have two regs on the decoder right now One feeds Vdd1 +Vdd2 and is stuffed into C511 the cap was moved onto the reg board, the other is in C510 feeding Vdda

Attachments

• p1010503.jpg
    p1010503.jpg
    97.1 KB · Views: 372
thanks for the link guys, I only had the schematics not the whole manual.

I found the fault. I had replaced two 5ohm resistors in the 5v supply line to the servos and decoder I think, with 1000uH chokes with a resistance of 14 ohms. The voltage at the servos was 4.86v (didnt check after reinstating resistors). This is quite surprising as the voltage seems ok and the drop across 14ohm with a few milliamps must be nothing. I wish i checked but I put it all together before i get tempted to tweak it again:)

BTW, this choke mod is one of Kuei (thorsten) mods on TNT. It makes an improvment in the dac and analog lines.

http://www.tnt-audio.com/clinica/cd67.html

Joined 2006
Paid Member
hotiron said:
OK i see your point Ricardo looking at the schematic R508 feeds pin 44 + pin 15 but the pcb layout is showing a different thing, I need to take my board out and check this out. Watch this space! :cannotbe:

There is an error in the schematic.

Brent sent me the correct connection (blue line) according to the PCB layout as well as what he did in his über machine (pink line).

Hope you can help me decide the best way to feed Vdd1 and Vdd2.

Regards

Ricardo

Attachments

• decoder.gif
    decoder.gif
    43.5 KB · Views: 339
Joined 2006
Paid Member
SimontY said:
Hi Ricardo,

You could be the first to power the decoder with THREE regulators, how about that? :D

Hi Simon

I must learn a lot before I do that.

I am finding that there is a big difference between the PCB layout and the schematic.

For instance, near the decoder, there are 4 components non existent in the PCB: C522; C523; R521; U193 (Should be a link but seems like a resistor).

These components are related with the clock signal and all are placed around C513 (The one that produces screeching sounds) :D

I must figure out all the implications before I start modding again.... :smash: :smash: :smash:

The sound is awesome as is and I must be very sure to be able to work without compromising everything.

Who is the "professional" working in your machine ?

Ricardo

Joined 2006
Paid Member
Re: Off Topic

SimontY said:
I'm enjoying my backup machine, which is a Philips CD650 I bought via Ebay for about £10. It has a TDA1541 DAC and is easily better than a CD63KI, both stock (less detailed perhaps, but more realistic and chunky in texture). Perhaps I can learn to not blow things up using this machine.

TDA1541 is quite good.... I have one in my SteinMusic CDP.

Loads of bass and able to recreate a realistic sound picture.

But My CD53 now belongs to another league :D

SimontY said:
Hi Ricardo,

You could be the first to power the decoder with THREE regulators, how about that? :D

Simon

Hi Guys My new stock of regs arrived this morning decoder now has three regs stuffed in C510 C511 C153 220 u on reg board .1u underneath on old pads
Servo now has two regs also C120 C122 Will update on sound once its had a good thrashing over weekend:devilr:

PS Simon CD650 was first CD Great Machine! New thread coming on perhaps!!!