Marantz CD63 & CD67 mods list

RCruz said:
Not adding extra caps.... just moving them nearer to the opamps.

Maybe I do not need them because I already have the 220uFBG on the opamps...:scratch: :scratch1:

I suspect they won't really make much difference, as there are local BGs and these would be close to those! You might want to investigate where else you could use the 470uF Black Gates. You could put them before the regulators (although they're fairly small for smoothing it'll sound good) or elsewhere, such as DAC, decoder, servo... preamp???

Simon

a clock question

Hi, another question from me :)

Recently (monday :)) I implemented Ray's clock (http://home.quicknet.nl/qn/prive/ra.vdsteen/pdfs/CD_clock.pdf)
with one mod though. Instead of J310 I put a BF245C JFET inside. I suppose G & S are replacable but even though I soldered it according to datasheet (opposite pins to J310). It worked from the start, the result is more resolution in highs and there are much sharper ends to the notes in general, which gives impression of more pace & rythm. Bass is faster too. My Q is: does the pot setting matter ? Since I don't have scope at home, I set it so I get the same DC on the reference and oscillator input at the comparator. This gives me about 1100 ohm on the pot which is then comparable with R5 (1k). While measuring the comparator output, I get ca. 1,2 V DC , I thought it should be about 0.5 Vcc. Does it really matter ? CDP works with different pot settings & so far I couldnt hear a difference.

Greetings,
Pawel

Hi Andre,

I know, I am just curious if the % of the cycle matters in this case. Well, assuming 1.2V it is about 25% instead of 50%. And shouldn't be the duty cycle 50% having same DC on both + and - inputs ? I assume the comparator should theoretically output either +Vcc or 0V for Vin>Vref or Vin<Vref, thus setting Vref to DC component of Vin should give 50%. Anyway there is probably an error somewhere in my thinking, but hey, the thing works :)

Greetings,
Pawel

Hello :)

Good to hear the clock works o.k. It's a great little circuit. The key is not to measure at the output, but at the input side of the comparator....

Measure the DC offset at pin 2, and adjust the pot for the same offset at pin 3. That's all! It's best to do it without the comparator installed, or the clock connected to the player, as sometimes the player can go wild when you touch pin 2 with the DMM pin.

BTW, the duty-cycle doesn't matter much, because the clock signal is buffered by the DAC anyway, but hey, if you adjust it, you may as well do it right ;).

Regards,

Ray

Joined 2006
Paid Member
rowemeister said:

The ones next to the opamps are fine, remove C805 C806 as they are not needed.

I'm sure you can find somewhere else for them ;)

After reading Simon comments, I believe I will now place some +-15v spowers near the opamps.
These will be mounted on a veroboard with pins to fit R613 614 615 616, without output caps.
(This is good because I intend to re use the spowers on the future discrete outputs)

What benefits should I have by replacing the actual 220uFBG by 470uFBG on the LM4562 opamps ?

Are there any tradeoffs ?

Regards

Ricardo

Joined 2006
Paid Member
rowemeister said:
Sound wise it will be very very similar, the trade of is the fitment is a little tight. May as well leave the 220uF in.
What do you have on the DAC digital?

Hi Brent

On CD06 I have a 470uF Oscon.
CD07 has been replaced by a Srayreg fed by a dedicated PSU [15VA 2x9v + 100nF + 4xschottky + 3.300uF Pana FC bypassed by a 10uF OsCon] and ground to Floating Star Gnd.

I can not fit a big cap there because the space is used by the Spower on DAC analog.

Should I use the big 470uF Oscon on the decoder ?

Regards

Ricardo

Joined 2006
Paid Member
RCruz said:
Should I use the big 470uF Oscon on the decoder ?

rowemeister said:
Yes or you could add the 470uF BG to the Decoder analogue v rail.

I like BG on the analogue supply rails.

Hi Brent

I got it wrong.... I intended to ask if I could use the big 470uF BG on the decoder but it seems you understood the question.

I will use it in the decoder analog rail for sure.

Regards

Ricardo

Joined 2006
Paid Member
rowemeister said:
Yes or you could add the 470uF BG to the Decoder analogue v rail.

I like BG on the analogue supply rails.

Hi Brent

I can not fit the 470 BG on the Decoder analog rail because I do not have space. Should I use a 220uF BG instead ? (It is a perfect fit)
I could remove C510 and place the 220BG on C509.
Otherwise I will need to put the 470BG in a "floating position over the decoder".

As I am going to work on this part of the pcb, I was wondering if I should remove C511 and replace C512 by a 470uF10v OsCon SP ?

Regards

Ricardo

Hi all,

I was pokin' around the shed looking for my elusive Super Reg just now. I didn't find it, but look at what I did find (below). I want to somehow use these in my CD63 :D

15000uF 16v
10000uF 40v
11000uF 25v

Two of them boast ripple currents of 11.8A and 9A. Is that good? They are very chunky caps!

Simon

Attachments

• big caps.jpg
    big caps.jpg
    92.9 KB · Views: 192
RCruz said:
Now you are talking !!!

I also have some big caps I would like to use in the future.....

490000uF 10V Sprague Powerlytic
560000uF 10V Samxon WR

The first one is double the size of the latter and specs are unreal.

:D

LOL, mine are mere krill to your blue whale (in aquatic terms). The problem with yours is they're low voltage so probably have to go after a regulator, which may be unhappy with the extremely low ESR. Do you have pics? :happy1: