Marantz CD63 & CD67 mods list

Joined 2006
Paid Member
Re: Caps on Super Rayregs

jimh0612 said:
Hi guys.

C1 master clock now installed and very impressed, Brent.

470u/16v BG Std from Thomo settling in nicely, 4 on opamps, 1 each on Decoder ana/dig and 2 on DAC dig at CD05 and CD06.

Hi Jim

Where did you connect the C1 ?

I itended to place it on U196 but it is covered by a big cap on CD05.

Your 470 BG must create the same issue.

Can you post some pictures ?

Regards

Ricardo

Hi Ricardo

The C1 was connected at U196 - I bent the output pin into an L shape and then soldered on top of the link at the end.
When I installed the cap there was just enough room, as I remember.
I think I did the clock before the cap so I had plenty of room to work - so you could just remove the cap temporarily.
Will try to get pics as soon as I get chance but not had time to do any modding for a while, I'm afraid - young family, work etc....
Cheers

Jim

Joined 2006
Paid Member
jimh0612 said:
Hi Ricardo

The C1 was connected at U196 - I bent the output pin into an L shape and then soldered on top of the link at the end.
When I installed the cap there was just enough room, as I remember.
I think I did the clock before the cap so I had plenty of room to work - so you could just remove the cap temporarily.
Will try to get pics as soon as I get chance but not had time to do any modding for a while, I'm afraid - young family, work etc....
Cheers

Thank you Jim

Do you have a reg replacing RD01 ?

Ricardo

Thomo said:
Mongs.
===========
Is there anything wrong with not using dc blocking on the output of my discrete? (apart from frying any amps without blocking on their inputs).

I would rather just have dc blocking on my preamp, then I can use my nice caps there and make everything sound better!

Lee.

Oh, and has anyone seen my multimeter?

Hi Lee,

No, nothing wrong in theory. One blocking cap in the signal path is enough. You have to be VERY careful though, not to make accidental shorts when you plug the RCA's in. With this large DC voltage on the outputs, the output transistor will blow :hot:. And it will give a loud 'bang' as the empty input cap of your preamp will load instantly. Apart from the fact that you can blow any visiting amps :D. I would not recommend it.

Ray

RCruz said:

Hi Jim

Did you remove CD04 ?

Ricardo

Hi Ricardo

Yes, I did the mods as per Ray's list, so removed CD04 and CD07, placing the 470u/16v BG STD's at CD05 and CD06 respectively. This was because the latter are both nearer to the chips.

DAC ana were 220u/16v BG FK removed from an earlier mod to my PM66KI. They now reside at CD15/CD16, having removed CD12, CD13. Although CD12/13 are slightly closer, the holes are too close together for the FK's.

Hope this helps.

Regards

Jim

Joined 2006
Paid Member
jimh0612 said:

Hi Ricardo

Yes, I did the mods as per Ray's list, so removed CD04 and CD07, placing the 470u/16v BG STD's at CD05 and CD06 respectively. This was because the latter are both nearer to the chips.

Hope this helps.

Hi Jim

Thank you. This info helped me choose the best setup.

I will keep CD05, loose CD04 and place the C1 on U196...

Regards

Ricardo

Hi Ricardo

You are welcome.

Will you be giving the C1 its own reg?

When I get chance I will be doing this. At the moment it's running from the stock 5v taken from the output cap, which is far from ideal.

I am also going to build a divide by two circuit for the servo reclocking, much as I would like to use another C1 or one of Brent's dividers.

Good luck and will be interested to hear your thoughts on the improvements from the clock. When I did the mods, I did the clock and the BG's at the same time, so I don't know what came from which.

Regards

Jim

Malefoda said:
"CD53e Black Signature" (e for enhanced)

Well even more black than before: Vibrapod feet and... Black Gates ;)
So now my DAC analog is full Black Gated, like when changed the RJH around opamps it sounds a bit harsh right now and stuff is cold... let these cans settle down and we'll see =)

Before:
An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.

After:
An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.

Well well, that's all for now, I wanna say it's finnished but like always I'll be goin' on in some months ;) Still a separate 5V and 12V supply in mind... and loads of Sercal Regs...
Bye for now! Ricardo give us feed back with your next chinese wonder ;)

Matthieu

Hi Matthieu, very nice work there.

Just a thought, why not move the opamp supply regs closer to the opamps. You can quite easily place them at R615 etc and link under the board. This means then that you can remove those large (fc's I think) and use fewer caps, which has always improved things, imo.

Thanks for the reply Ray. I decided not to do away with dc blocking:D.
Too many things go wrong already without adding more danger:hot:

Regards, Lee.

Joined 2006
Paid Member
Malefoda said:

Well even more black than before: Vibrapod feet and... Black Gates ;)
So now my DAC analog is full Black Gated, like when changed the RJH around opamps it sounds a bit harsh right now and stuff is cold... let these cans settle down and we'll see =)

Before:

After:

Well well, that's all for now, I wanna say it's finnished but like always I'll be goin' on in some months ;) Still a separate 5V and 12V supply in mind... and loads of Sercal Regs...
Bye for now! Ricardo give us feed back with your next chinese wonder ;)

Hi Matthieu

Ultra neat work...!!!!

Can you post a pic showing where you connected the clock output ?

I must verify the shipping costs for those china beasts before I decide myself... What do you think about advance acoustics power amps ?

Regards

Ricardo

Joined 2006
Paid Member
jimh0612 said:
Hi Ricardo

You are welcome.

Will you be giving the C1 its own reg?

Good luck and will be interested to hear your thoughts on the improvements from the clock. When I did the mods, I did the clock and the BG's at the same time, so I don't know what came from which.
Hi Jim

I will feed the C1 with a PSU2.

My problem is space... I must rearrange the CDP internals so I can fit the PSU2 inside.

I will also place another C1 in the servo.

I will be reporting the changes....:hot:

Regards

Ricardo

Joined 2006
Paid Member
Thomo said:
Hi Matthieu, very nice work there.

Just a thought, why not move the opamp supply regs closer to the opamps. You can quite easily place them at R615 etc and link under the board. This means then that you can remove those large (fc's I think) and use fewer caps, which has always improved things, imo.

Hi Lee

I am using rayregs for the +-12v.

After these I currently have 2x10.000uF

If I move these rayregs near the opamps can I loose the big caps ? (Or do I need special regs like Brent´s)

Regards

Ricardo

Joined 2006
Paid Member
6h5c said:
After modding a Marantz CD63 and a CD67OSE I decided to make a list of all the various mod's I found here and elsewhere on the internet.

Hi Ray

I built two rayregs for the opamps.

The +12v one (based on a 317) gives 11v on the bench psu but, when installed on the player, outputs +26v.

Can you point out a reason for this behaviour ?

Note: this rayreg does not have any output cap, and I had no caps after the regs and before the opamps when I measured these values... can this be the origin of the error ?

Regards

Ricardo

Joined 2006
Paid Member
Thomo said:
Not that I know of, no. The only times I get high readings like that is down to ground wires coming loose.

ps. Just about to test my 3/4 finished rebuild of my cd63:smash:

There might be such a problem in this case... the star GND wire was a little loose when I was making readings.

Yesterday while rearranging the layout of the modds in my CD53, the +29v wire comming from the analog psu broke.

I removed the psu, and soldered the wire back without discharging the big caps (BIG ERROR).

When I hooked the psu to the sregs, the +12v blew.

After repairing the sreg, it started to output +26v.

Now I installed an old sreg version and it is working.

Hard times

:hot: