Marantz CD63 & CD67 mods list

Hi Ricardo

A tough one, the divide pcb gives half of the gains of a dedicated clock on the servo but its less than half the price. So if money is a problem then the divide pcb is a great option.
All circuits benefit from seperate psus but (especially with the divide pcb taking its signal from the master clock) one psu will be fine. The gain with running clocks off dedicated psu is it stops the noise getting back into the main circuits psus.

Brent

LOL OK. Maybe not explained the best it could have been :angel:

We all know what a dac clock does for the audio...
A clock on the servo of the 63 adds lots of gains mainly in the upper mids and treble. For instance the noise of a brush on cymbols will sound like white noise where when the clock is added you can actually hear these details for what they are, the sound produced much more real and acurate.
Using the divide pcb you get the same kind of gains just a little bit less, somewhere in between.

Hope that explains a little better.

Brent

Joined 2006
Paid Member
rowemeister said:
LOL OK. Maybe not explained the best it could have been :angel:

We all know what a dac clock does for the audio...
A clock on the servo of the 63 adds lots of gains mainly in the upper mids and treble. For instance the noise of a brush on cymbols will sound like white noise where when the clock is added you can actually hear these details for what they are, the sound produced much more real and acurate.
Using the divide pcb you get the same kind of gains just a little bit less, somewhere in between.

Hope that explains a little better.

Perfect..;)

Less is no good so I will opt for two clocks.

About the psu, in order to cut costs (and space) I was thinking about using only one PSU2.

Is it possible to leave this PSU GND unconnected to the main pcb ?

Ricardo

Joined 2006
Paid Member
Malefoda said:
Got my 470/16 BG for the DAC analog. These things are big, do they fit around opamps?
Anyway I'll stick with the 220/16 BG there...

rowemeister said:
Quality caps are always big ;)
The 470uF JUST fit with a little squeeze, the 220uF fit perfect.
I have just the same issue.

I think I will remove the 220uF BG around the opamps and squezze the 470uF in.

I will use the 220uF on CD15 CD16.

Ricardo

You still need the 5V supply for the clock cct on the dac. Your best bet is to remove RD01 and solder in a 7805 so that it's more isolated from the rest of the circuit. Supply the 7805 from underneath the PSU from the big smoothing cap (+20V). Just check to see if the reg gets warm, I don't think it will.

Doing this will require the psu gnd connecting to star gnd

Brent

Joined 2006
Paid Member
rowemeister said:
Yes of course ;)
The better the reg the better outcome you will get. A Raygulator type device will work a treat
Brent

While I wait I was thinking about placing one Raygulator on +5v DAC Digital.

I already have a dedicated PSU for this reg.

What improvements should I expect from such modd? (I already have the Spower on DAC Analog and the sound is very good indeed with good integration and much better detail.)

Ricardo

Joined 2006
Paid Member
rowemeister said:
Using something like an SPower will bring bigger gains but again thats going to cost alot more money!! So a Raygulator here will bring about better timing, a more precise sound etc. There will be less of that digital sound. Do it.
Ok

I will replace RD04 by the raygulator, remove CD07 and replace CD06 by a 470uF Oscon.

Do I need to bypass the OsCon ?

Ricardo