Marantz CD63 & CD67 mods list

Quite a long thread

I just wanted to say thank you to you guys and I'm sure there are hundreds like me. About a year ago I started thinking about my 63KI player ageing and sounding very limited compared with half-decent vinyl and stumbled across this huge source of knowledge. With info from you guys and a little (!) soldering help from a friend, and a budget of not much more than £200, the player is transformed and plays music
in a way that sounds like the mastertape. For me, it doesn't get better than that.

So thank you all and Congratulations

A Quite Extraordinary Achievement

Joined 2006
Paid Member
rowemeister said:
I would use 2x 220uF BG minimum but 2X 470uF BG is fine.

Hi Brent

I am now building a dedicated psu for the dac.

I will use one BHC 10.000uF for smoothing dac analog after the schottkys. Should I bypass this cap with a 100nF plastic ?

Another question... The 15VA 2x9v TX I am using is quite big... Can I place it near the output opamps ? I am afraid it might cause hum problems.

Regards

Ricardo

Re: Quite a long thread

avr300 said:
Congrats also from here. It has been a pleasure and fun to participate.

Let's push it and get the 0.5M views.

micky127 said:
I just wanted to say thank you to you guys and I'm sure there are hundreds like me. About a year ago I started thinking about my 63KI player ageing and sounding very limited compared with half-decent vinyl and stumbled across this huge source of knowledge. With info from you guys and a little (!) soldering help from a friend, and a budget of not much more than £200, the player is transformed and plays music in a way that sounds like the mastertape. For me, it doesn't get better than that.

So thank you all and Congratulations

A Quite Extraordinary Achievement

RCruz said:
Now you are there...!!!

Thank you Ray for the unconditional support.

Regards

Ricardo

Thanks guys, it's great to hear that you appreciate it.

B.T.W. the colleague i'm helping to modify a player: we plugged it in today, only one exploding cap! :D Not bad for a first timer! It scared him to death though... :clown:

Ray

RCruz said:

Hi Brent

I am now building a dedicated psu for the dac.

I will use one BHC 10.000uF for smoothing dac analog after the schottkys. Should I bypass this cap with a 100nF plastic ?

Another question... The 15VA 2x9v TX I am using is quite big... Can I place it near the output opamps ? I am afraid it might cause hum problems.

Regards

Ricardo

I wouldn't bother with the 100nF.

The TX should not cause hum

Brent

Joined 2006
Paid Member
Re: Re: Quite a long thread

6h5c said:
B.T.W. the colleague i'm helping to modify a player: we plugged it in today, only one exploding cap! :D Not bad for a first timer! It scared him to death though... :clown:

Hi Ray

I had a similar experience the first time I built my Steimusic Philips CDP.

The cap was on reversed polarity :hot:

Now it plays wonderfully.

Ricardo

The digital caps should work ok. I'm not a big fan of small bypass caps but the 10uF would be fine. I prefer to keep it all simple but this also means you need good quality parts to start with. Eg I would never bypass a BG and would not use bypassing when using good regs.

If you are putting the tx over the opamps I would (just in case) put a shield between and of course connect this to gnd.

Brent

Re: Re: Re: Quite a long thread

rowemeister said:
Haha a great way to introduce him to electronics.:D

Brent

RCruz said:
Hi Ray

I had a similar experience the first time I built my Steimusic Philips CDP.

The cap was on reversed polarity :hot:

Now it plays wonderfully.

Ricardo

Yes, it was a learning experience :D. The cap was on the -10V and he connected it with minus to GND... :shhh:

Ray

Joined 2006
Paid Member
Re: Re: Re: Re: Quite a long thread

6h5c said:

Yes, it was a learning experience :D. The cap was on the -10V and he connected it with minus to GND... :shhh:

Reversed polarity is quite a common mistake.

As my work involves using a PC 12 hours a day, my eyes are not perfect anymore so....

My CD worked for two hours and I always heard a little frying noise that I could not identify... then crack and the cap it started to leak.....
Some cleaning a a new cap solved the problem..:angel:

Joined 2006
Paid Member
rowemeister said:

If you are putting the tx over the opamps I would (just in case) put a shield between and of course connect this to gnd.

I am thinking I must place the 2x9v TX outside. (Leaving it inside would take the place needed for the future discreet output stage)

I can fasten it to the back plate (outside near the stock TX) and pull the wires in through a hole...

Should I expect any problems from that setup ?

Regards

Ricardo

Joined 2006
Paid Member
Malefoda said:
No clock yet?? Bad boy!

I did cut the earth loop "acoustica.org.uk" and things god a lot better.

Afet all my experiments, I believe this machine needs two clocks:

One for the DAC to optimyse timing, spatial presentation and overall sound cohesion.

And one for the servo where we get detail, dynamics and insight.

I am saving €€€€ right now

By the way, I love your integrated... I am wondering if the power amp G&W Class A is as good or better.... Do you know this big brother ?

Ricardo