Marantz CD63 & CD67 mods list

You could consider a separate output circuit. Then the problem can be solved once for all. Building instructions at Ray's site and if you don't want the DIY approach, Brent can sell you a turnkey solution.

No, I don't think the mod will introduce any dc offset, but you might measure before plugging it into your amp.

skipping update

Hi Ricardo & Brent

Strange thing happened, the CD doesn't skip anymore :) What I did was a bunch of mods from Ray's list - almost all - except the Bessel alignment and I didn't use the PPS caps in the output filter. There are no smd pieces either :) Anyway, what else I did, I put some blue tac (in my case the stuff is white :)) on the puck + 2€ coin on the top (expensive, isnt it ? :)). The lens oscillates at some points but I have an impression it's now a bit less.
Didn't change the drivers yet although I got them from RS components.
I also wanted to put new resistors into the HF path but as it works it's nothing hasty now. I suppose the last major mod will be the clock. The rest will be law of diminishing returns since there are other bottlenecks in the system.
Thanks all for help!

Pawel

Re: TCA0372 substituting

ahiukka said:

Then I had trouble sourcing TCA0372, I began to look for substitute and after searching for a long time I found one which could substitute it; L2720. And it did!
This chip has some lower operating voltage range which has no meaning in this application because it still operates in specs. And slightly higher typical slew rate ;)

So my point is that if someone else is having trouble sourcing TCA0372, you can substitute it with L2720.

-Antti

Hi

Nice one good and useful post thanks ;)

Brent

Joined 2006
Paid Member
Re: skipping update

pzogal said:
Hi Ricardo & Brent

Strange thing happened, the CD doesn't skip anymore :) What I did was a bunch of mods from Ray's list - almost all - except the Bessel alignment and I didn't use the PPS caps in the output filter. There are no smd pieces either :) Anyway, what else I did, I put some blue tac (in my case the stuff is white :)) on the puck + 2€ coin on the top (expensive, isnt it ? :)). The lens oscillates at some points but I have an impression it's now a bit less.
Didn't change the drivers yet although I got them from RS components.
I also wanted to put new resistors into the HF path but as it works it's nothing hasty now. I suppose the last major mod will be the clock. The rest will be law of diminishing returns since there are other bottlenecks in the system.
Thanks all for help!

Hi Pawel

These are very good news.
I am very happy for your success.;)

What does it sound like ?

PS:
After replacing TCA0372 on the focus driver, my lens sopped oscilating.

Sound is now very good and detailed.

Ricardo

Joined 2006
Paid Member
Re: TCA0372 substituting

ahiukka said:
Hi.

My CD53 had a problem, first it worked all fine and in the next moment it started to pull drawer back and spin disc at very high rate. My first thought was that TCA0372 which operates the drawer and disc motor has come to its end. Well, after all I found out it was the that chip exactly(QM01), but it had burned also resistor R164.
Then I had trouble sourcing TCA0372, I began to look for substitute and after searching for a long time I found one which could substitute it; L2720. And it did!
This chip has some lower operating voltage range which has no meaning in this application because it still operates in specs. And slightly higher typical slew rate ;)

So my point is that if someone else is having trouble sourcing TCA0372, you can substitute it with L2720.

Thank you Antti

Hi Ricardo,

so it seems I'll be replacing TCA :) i got them lying around need to get the socket , too :)
The sound is very good indeed, but I am afraid the bottleneck is the amp right now (some sony receiver - it's ok for movies and stuff and not thaat bad). I am going to build this:

http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/showthread.php?threadid=111756&goto=newpost

The speakers are Mission 783 - they seem to be pretty decent.

And considering CD53 , I am going to build Ray's clock.

Greetings,
Pawel