Marantz CD63 & CD67 mods list

rowemeister said:
A good reg is required on the dac analogue to release much more.

Brent

No separate reg on DAC analogue, still on the stock 7805 :xeye:

I know, I know!!!!! Only just realised that RD01, RD04 don't touch the analogue side, Brent gave me the ref last week!!

rowemeister said:
Jim

What black gates do you have on the opamps?

Brent

470u/16v BG STD on the opamps.

Jim

SimontY said:

A choke on the amp??? Get rid my friend, get rid!!

Simon

Yeah, Simon, I've been meaning to get round to it but only just realised how much of an effect it's had since I did the other mods recently and the choke's been in the amp for a while.

While I'm in there taking the choke out I'm going to fit my Alps Blue 50k and put a pair of BG AC's in the input in place of 220u/16v FK's a la Brent.

Lee reckons stick em on DAC digital CD05 , CD06, but I've just put 470u/16v BG STD's there which are still settling in.

Any thoughts?

Jim

rowemeister said:
Hi Jim

On opamp outputs I run the wire from U217/U216 direct to the RCA socket, only adding a cap if required.

I prefer to use a coax for the rf signal. Maybe a nice interconnect could be used here. I may be trying the AGSS down the centre of some coax in this position to see if I can tweak a little more detail out of it.
Brent

Brent

I was thinking of using this dodge with the gold on silver in the various locations, also in the amp signal path if I ever get round to it!!

Jim

jimh0612 said:
While I'm in there taking the choke out I'm going to fit my Alps Blue 50k and put a pair of BG AC's in the input in place of 220u/16v FK's a la Brent.

Lee reckons stick em on DAC digital CD05 , CD06, but I've just put 470u/16v BG STD's there which are still settling in.

Any thoughts?

Jim

I'm very happy with the Alps Blue and BG AC I use in my preamp, I think you'll like these parts!

I've not used any FK (yet - lol) but Lee has, so go with his advice!

Simon

rowemeister said:
If you have black gates dont put any smaller caps across them, this has an adverse effect.

Also the resistors that feed the opamps - short them out. Yo can do this by cutting the resistors and bending the legs over and solder without removing the pcb.

FK on dac would be superb, I would be tempted to put them on the dac ana though.

Brent

Brent

I wouldn't normally bypass BG's as everyone says not to, but would the 220pF plastic under the socket between the pins have this effect?

The resistors have been replaced by inductors with ferrite rings a la Ray.

Jim

Joined 2006
Paid Member
rowemeister said:
No I find a direct short gives better dynamics than an inductor, try it and see what you find. Remembering my power rails are very very clean.

I removed all small caps. I'm from the less is more camp on most things. I have looked at Naim etc and they use a very basic setup too on psus and just use good parts.

Hi Brent

Can I remove the inductors R613...616 feeding the opamps ?

I have 1mH there (Ray) feeding the LM4562NA bypassed by 220uF BG STD.

I will implement the new servo psu this weekend and will also build a new star gnd.

Regards

Ricardo

Joined 2006
Paid Member
rowemeister said:
I personally like the opamps powered direct with no inductance/resistance. Link them out and see what you think.

If you can leave them out and run wire from the output of the regs direct to the power rails of the opamps or even better fit the regs right next to the opamps for more improvement.

I have 10.000uF after each +-12v sreg so in this case I am afraid to loose some transient response if I connect the sregs directly... Can I keep these caps wired even if I put the sregs close to the opamps ?

Regards

Ricardo

Joined 2006
Paid Member
rowemeister said:
Wow they are big, I assumed they were before the regs.

I run 4x 470uF BG direct and they are plenty big enough. Usually a smaller cap after a reg gives a tighter more nimble sound, and larger caps aid bass weight.

I have 30va 2x18v Nuvotem + hexfreds HFA04TB60PBF 600v 4A + 2x 10,000uF Nichicon KG before the regs and two smaller 10,000uF CapXon 35v after the regs.

I do not want to loose any bass weight so I must keep this setup.

I will try to put the regs closer but will wire the big caps to the outputs.

Ricardo

Hmm, I have only received one email today about this thread. I just read about 20 posts!

I am sticking with my 220uF FK's on the discrete supply. I wouldn't use them with opamps though, that gave a hard, dry sound. The FK's really seem dependent on the rest of the player being up to a high standard.

The next cd mod for me is to try them on dac analog, as I'm still using 470uF std there. I bought a load of FK's to sell, but no-one bought them so I used a load of 'em in my player. I am soo glad no-one bought them:D

Cheers, Lee.