Marantz CD63 & CD67 mods list

Re: AD8066

Malefoda said:
Anyway, if there is still some opamps folks around there, anyone had an ear to the AD8066?

Matthieu

Yes (well 2xAD8065 on Brown Dog adaptors).

It's a very good op-amp. One of the best.
Very sweet, very musical, deep tight bass, lacks a little warmth.
Better than anything Burr-Brown ever made in my opinion....
...but I have always been a fan of the AD chips over the others.
Maximum recommended is +12V/-12V (but sounds great at this limit). More like AD826 than AD825.

Glenn

Op-Amps

Have anybody tried OP275?

While modifying, I found two OP's in the spares box and run it like that until the LM4562's arrived. I prefer the sound of the OP275, even after trying to play in the LM's for about 6 days.

I'm planning a discrete stage thus don't want to spend to much time on the op-amps. Any thoughts on this?

André

Re: Op-Amps

Andre Visser said:
Have anybody tried OP275?.. I prefer the sound of the OP275, even after trying to play in the LM's for about 6 days.

I dont know if this is related (becuase the experiment was not conducted on a CD player) but many moons ago (ok say about 1993-5) I was building a preamp and tested many opamps. Of the lot I prefered the sound of the OP275 over almost all other opamps I tried. Dont ask me why. I did not measure the output on a scope just used my ears.

Re: Re: Op-Amps

navin said:

I dont know if this is related (becuase the experiment was not conducted on a CD player) but many moons ago (ok say about 1993-5) I was building a preamp and tested many opamps. Of the lot I prefered the sound of the OP275 over almost all other opamps I tried. Dont ask me why. I did not measure the output on a scope just used my ears.

Thanks Navin

At the end of the day the ears is all that matter. :)

André

Re: Re: AD8066

Glenn2 said:

Yes (well 2xAD8065 on Brown Dog adaptors).

It's a very good op-amp. One of the best.
Very sweet, very musical, deep tight bass, lacks a little warmth.
Better than anything Burr-Brown ever made in my opinion....
...but I have always been a fan of the AD chips over the others.
Maximum recommended is +12V/-12V (but sounds great at this limit). More like AD826 than AD825.

Glenn

Hi Glenn, can you compare sound to AD8599, wich was too much "happy" for me, and the LM4562, wich is more easy but maybe not enough happy?

Thnaks Matthieu

Re: Op-Amps

Andre Visser said:
Have anybody tried OP275?

While modifying, I found two OP's in the spares box and run it like that until the LM4562's arrived. I prefer the sound of the OP275, even after trying to play in the LM's for about 6 days.

I'm planning a discrete stage thus don't want to spend to much time on the op-amps. Any thoughts on this?

André

If that's the one I think it is I didn't like it much. I heard overblown bass and low resolution and detail.

LM4562 is also less than perfect, but much more accurate-sounding. Just a bit heartless.

I really like the AD827. Really musical with good "texture". LM4562 is fabulous for an opamp, the detail level swung it for me.

Would the discrete output prefer an active pre-amp? Mine sounds great with a 50k pot as pre, but I'm wondering if it might be happier driving an active stage.

Cheers,

Lee.

Joined 2006
Paid Member
Malefoda said:

Sound dramatically improved when I removed Elna's RJH to set BG at the LM4562 (but took times to burn-in).

I am using LM4562NA with BGSTD.

The sound took two weeks to settle but now it is really informative and best of all, the soundstage widened a lot.

Of course I have a dedicated PSU for the opamps with rayregs and 4 x 10.000uF.

Ricardo

Yesterday I built a discrete output onto the board using the place where the hdam's were. I used cheap parts and the transistors are mostly re-used from the hdam. I am very impressed even with cheapo parts, the sound is still better than opamps. Thanks for the great instructions Ray.

Cheers, Lee.

Static noise issue CD63ki

I have that one channel static noise issue that others have reported and like them tried changing opamps but it returns after a while regardless of the opams. Turning the unit on and off is the one thing that clears it. How is this normally resolved?

Player details

The player was modded by someone else, tested by them and seemed fine, is now running from a RF filtered block with the original power cable to a Slee Solo headphone amp. The amp is running from a 3 way wall socket that the filtered block is also on.

The modifications are various caps, clock(s) with PSU, low noise regulation to DAC, some bypassing and removal of output filter transistors etc - standard kind of thing for players within this thread.

Mine can suffer from static, which is triggered by switching a nearby low voltage lamp on or off. I then have to power my CD63 on and off to restore peace. My chassis is open right now, which probably doesn't help. I think it's something to do with the RF pulse that is given off by such switching, but where it's picked up and which circuit is upset by it I don't know.

Simon

Simon, I was wondering if too many filtering bits had been removed/bypassed with standard modding, with a small percentage of players then becoming vulnerable. So an extra bit of filtering would get rid of it.

Surely it is coming in via the main power or the output. I wondered if anyone had got rid of it by adding a discrete output stage or better filtering than my off the shelf filtered inlet.

Does you change if using a different interconnect, amp or power socket?