Marantz CD63 & CD67 mods list

Joined 2006
Paid Member
SimontY said:

Awesome, has it done much for your sound?

You needn't connect safety earth, it's optional. You must connect the ground of any upgraded RCA sockets to the CD player's ground of course, but that's stating the obvious!

Hi Simon

One of my DIY projects was a CD player based on a philips CDM12 and I used a wodden box because I did not have anything else.

The sound is really good but I did not think the wodden box had anything to do with it.

Note:
This project also relies on Rubys MCZ on all the +5v and a 1Farad combination after the +5v reg.

Regards
Ricardo

Re: Re: Silver Micas

SimontY said:

Someone's player is filled with silver micas.... yes, it's good! I'd like some in mine at some point.

Simon

Get 'em in there Simon. I used to use polystyrene 1% and they sounded good. But 1% Silver Mica sound much better. They have a much smoother presentation, more natural, whereas poly's can be a bit bright.

Lee.

SimontY said:

ps - I've just moved back into my parents' house so I no longer have a great listening room (or housemates that can put up with >25Db), so expect some CD63 headphone discussion from me in the near future :hphones:

Hi Simon,

I wouldn't even bother. Build yourself a headphone amp. Good fun and the results will be an awful lot better than anything you'll get out of the CD63.

Regards

Pete

Chivvyp said:

Hi Simon,

I wouldn't even bother. Build yourself a headphone amp. Good fun and the results will be an awful lot better than anything you'll get out of the CD63.

Regards

Pete

Hi Pete,

Yeh, that's what I meant lol. I meant the CD63 feeding a nice headamp/pre.

Simon

ps - I'm ashamed to admit it but my Soundblaster X-Fi actually sounds quite good with my Sennheiser HD600s! Just as long as you don't turn on the w*nky "Crystaliser" or tell it you're using "headphones"!!!

Joined 2006
Paid Member
Re: Re: Re: Silver Micas

Thomo said:
Get 'em in there Simon. I used to use polystyrene 1% and they sounded good. But 1% Silver Mica sound much better. They have a much smoother presentation, more natural, whereas poly's can be a bit bright.
I totally agree..... I am even considering replacing C505 with a silvermica... I will report on the differences (I believe there will be a good improvement)...

Ricardo

Joined 2006
Paid Member
Re: Re: Marantz CD63 & CD67 mods list

RCruz said:
I am considering the rest of the mods in the output (C659 C660
R655 656 R657 / 658 R659 / 660) but would like to have your input in the two R619 R620..
As the CD53 does not have a HDAM, the entire circuit is replaced by a 10R in each channel.

Should I shunt these or should I wire the pin 7 of each opamp to R659 660 ?

If I am right, you remove everything in the output, leaving only the voltage drop circuit R659 / R661 and 660/662.

Removing R619 R620 will affect the values you indicate for voltage drop ?
Can anyone comment on this ?

I would like to try this modd but not sure of the possible outcome.

Ricardo

Joined 2006
Paid Member
Re: Re: Re: Re: Marantz CD63 & CD67 mods list

Andre Visser said:
If you use good op-amps you can leave R619, 620 (10 Ohm), remove all the other stuff, and run straight to the output connectors.
Hi André

Thank you for your reply.

As I damaged some lines in the PCB when removing the output caps, this is very good news because I will bypass everything from the 10ohm resistors on to the outputs.

These 10 ohm resistors serve what purpose ?

Can I upgrade them ?

Note:
I believe I have good opamps (LM4562NA) ?!

Best Regards

Ricardo

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Marantz CD63 & CD67 mods list

RCruz said:

These 10 ohm resistors serve what purpose ?

Can I upgrade them ?

Note:
I believe I have good opamps (LM4562NA) ?!

Hi Ricardo,

They make sure the next stage cannot easily demand too much from the op-amps and cause instability. In reality there isn't likely to be any such problem.

If you keep them, yes you can use nice ones for a very subtle improvement. Nice resistor makes include Vishay, Kiwame, Shinkoh, Allen Bradley and Holco. I like Kiwame a lot, but haven't tried many types!

Simon

Joined 2006
Paid Member
Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Marantz CD63 & CD67 mods list

SimontY said:
They make sure the next stage cannot easily demand too much from the op-amps and cause instability. In reality there isn't likely to be any such problem.

If you keep them, yes you can use nice ones for a very subtle improvement. Nice resistor makes include Vishay, Kiwame, Shinkoh, Allen Bradley and Holco. I like Kiwame a lot, but haven't tried many types!
Thank you Simon

It is settled then.. I will replace them by Kiwame... Can you suggest where to get them ?

Another important issue:
The stock TX seems to have only two fuses just before the +-5V digital psu.

I have a new tx for the opamps and am trying to figure out the way to fix it and how to link it to the PSU.... Should I place a fuse in the mains ?

Best regards

Ricardo

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Marantz CD63 & CD67 mods list

RCruz said:

Thank you Simon

It is settled then.. I will replace them by Kiwame... Can you suggest where to get them ?

Another important issue:
The stock TX seems to have only two fuses just before the +-5V digital psu.

I have a new tx for the opamps and am trying to figure out the way to fix it and how to link it to the PSU.... Should I place a fuse in the mains ?

Best regards

Ricardo

I used http://www.hificollective.co.uk/components/resistors.html to get mine, but I know they're available in other countries too.

I don't use any fuses personally, but it would be wise to, certainly at least for testing. Perhaps someone more experienced can comment on the rating.

Simon

Joined 2006
Paid Member
Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Marantz CD63 & CD67 mods list

SimontY said:
I don't use any fuses personally, but it would be wise to, certainly at least for testing. Perhaps someone more experienced can comment on the rating.
Another question.... What type of wire should I use to link the TX and the upgraded PSU to the PCB ?

I am considering building a small pcb with two 10.000uF nichicon KG bypassed with some polystyrenes and tantals after the diodes.
This pcb may have the regs and output caps also because I believe the best way to unlink the stock PSU is to remove the +-12v regs.

Ricardo

Joined 2006
Paid Member
Thomo said:
I wouldn't bypass the Nichicons with anything personally. I may do it with lesser cheapo caps but the kg's are very nice indeed, i think marantz put them in the pm17ki.
Hi Lee

As I bypassed every cap in the digital area and the results are very good, I was thinking to do the same.

What about using these Nichicons in paralel with some 3300uF Pana FC just to increase the speed ?

Can you comment on the wires please ? I really need some help here.

Regards

Ricardo