Marantz CD63 & CD67 mods list

Stevefish69 said:
I've just picked up an old Vanilla CD63 which i'm using as a transport only to my Beresford DAC.

Would i see any benefit in modding this unit if i'm only using the Digital output. I presume that i'd only see a benefit from playing with the Power section and damping the case as much as possible.

Sorry if my question seems a bit stupid and i know it's probably covered in the last 300 odd pages

Hi Steve,

Look for posts by "RCruz" as he had this same question recently. He has followed some mods originally performed by Ray, which have improved his digital output.

Thomo said:
Fixed it. Blown transistors and blown dac. Sounds fantastic. Very Happy.

Lee.

Excellent news Lee!

Simon

marantz63Se

Hi guys,
i am following Ray list for modding the 63 Se-
ican't get BG from australia-is elna starget any good for op-amp coupling?
another question-the Flea-where can i get the PCB?- sorry guys
i can only solder but terrible at following circuit diagrams or build one for that matter.
Many thanks. Great work guys:cool:

I agree with Simon about the Stargets. They pretty good, smooth sounding but there's much better around.

Try Rubycon ZA, ZL etc. They're good in digital circuits but also very, very good in analog too. There's some debate whether they contain Black Gate technology due the patents running out years ago!

Lee.

What do you think to the parts for my discrete stage power supply Simon?

DSCN0846.jpg

The KI tx on top is for comparison.

Lee.

Yes, quite! I've tried the discrete stage (Ray/Jaap board) with 7815/7915 and with SPowers and the difference is night and day. With the S Powers the sound is massively more upfront and energetic. The treble suddenly has this great attack that was previously muted.

The only drawback is some small hiss element, but mine has a bigger noise problem that totally dwarfs it (don't ask).

Simon

ps - I've just moved back into my parents' house so I no longer have a great listening room (or housemates that can put up with >25Db), so expect some CD63 headphone discussion from me in the near future :hphones:

Joined 2006
Paid Member
Stevefish69 said:
I've just picked up an old Vanilla CD63 which i'm using as a transport only to my Beresford DAC.

Would i see any benefit in modding this unit if i'm only using the Digital output. I presume that i'd only see a benefit from playing with the Power section and damping the case as much as possible.
Hi

Major improvements can be obtained by replacing the stock +5v reg, replacing the electrolitics and resistors around +5V inputs into the servos, HF Amp and the Decoder.

I also experimented a UGE increase in transient response by replacing C815 (Digital PSU after the reg) by a very large capacitor.

After all this I also noticed a very good improvement in the detail and attack by replacing C505 by a 2200 styroflex.

Schottkys in the digital PSU give fluidity to the sound.

Note: This was only possible due to the information in this Forum.

Regards

Ricardo

Joined 2006
Paid Member
Thomo said:
Something like that. MBR20200 Schottky diodes (i've already got them), and Brent's S-Power regs when I can afford them, cos without a doubt they're brilliant.
Hi Lee

Talking about overkill.... Is it or in the case of diodes, do you mean the bigger the better ?

I am starting my 12v psu for the recently replaced opamps (LM4562NA).

I´m using a Nuvotem 30VA 18V and I must choose between 11DQ10 or HFA04TB60PBF.

Any input will be highly appreciated.

Regards

Ricardo

Joined 2006
Paid Member
Thomo said:
I have used 220uF 35v ZA on all the digital supplies for dac and decoder as they have the best ripple rejection, low impedance etc.

They sound better that anything else I've tried including Black Gate Nx etc. Great textural detail and all that.

I need to replace the stock elcaps near the opamps.

I was thinking about 470uF BGstd, but I can get the Ruby ZA cheapper.

Does the difference in sound quality justify the extra effort(€) ?

Regards

Ricardo

Joined 2006
Paid Member
Just more two important questions:

Ray, I followed your indications replacing some resistors by inductors in the +5v imputs and the results are very good.

As I did not have ferrites, I did not use any.... Now I just received 20 of those and would like your comment because now I would need to do a lot of work re soldering the inductors.

I am afraid because the PCB is very weak and easily damaged:hot:

In my early experiments modding power amps, I sometimes got good results augmenting the PSU output in some 2 or 3V.

Can I expect any gain by tweaking the resistors in the raygulators to increase their output ?

Regards

Ricardo

marantz 63 SE mod

thanks for reply guys-
i will try rubycon ZA for op-amp coupling as they are much easier to get from down under.
Has any built the Ray super-regulator?Some pictures would be greatly appreciated- i can't build one following the circuit diagram.
I have done the raygulators but thought to try something better without costing an arm or leg.
Heaps thanks. Quan.
PS-is there much difference between ZA and ZL as ZA are not available in Oz-470uF/25V.

dublin78 said:
I have removed all the guts from my Cd63 and placed them in a wooden case.
Do I need to earth/ground the main PCB? If so where?
TIA

Awesome, has it done much for your sound?

You needn't connect safety earth, it's optional. You must connect the ground of any upgraded RCA sockets to the CD player's ground of course, but that's stating the obvious!

Simon