Marantz CD63 & CD67 mods list

I finished my mates cd67 the last weekend and he is very, very happy with it. It included a Superclock4 for which I built a power-supply. I am completely surprised by how much better the Superclock4 is compared with my Superclock2.

Over all there wasn't as much detail with his player compared to mine as it has fewer mods, but what was there was so cleanly separated and free from sibilance that I would trade them any day. Mine sounds congested next to the other. Does anyone know the differences between the two clocks? As far as I can tell the SC4 has better power supply filtering, but aside from that I don't know.

Can my superclock2 be improved or modded?

Lee.

Joined 2006
Paid Member
Andre Visser said:

Thanks to everybody that participated in sharing all this information especially Ray, Brent and Simon for all the effort you’ve put into this.

Hi All

After carefully following Ray´s detailed information about the CD 53, mixed with some ideas comming from Mr. Stein, and latter with the special information from Brent and Simon, I finally understand the schematics of the CD53 and the best ways to improve its performance.

I focused myself in the Digital PSU and the digital output because I found that the sound processed by an external dac (SONY DTC 670) is much more detailed.

I am now interested in the analog stage of the CD53 and would like to know if the effort will produce a better result than using the tape recorder as a dac.

Can the DAC (QD01 SM5872BS) be tuned to work as well as the Sony ?

I read about the LM4562NA opamp but can not find it in Farnell.... can anyone help ?

Best Regards

Ricardo

Joined 2006
Paid Member
RCruz said:

Hi All

After carefully following Ray´s detailed information about the CD 53, mixed with some ideas comming from Mr. Stein, and latter with the special information from Brent and Simon, I finally understand the schematics of the CD53 and the best ways to improve its performance.

I focused myself in the Digital PSU and the digital output because I found that the sound processed by an external dac (SONY DTC 670) is much more detailed.

I am now interested in the analog stage of the CD53 and would like to know if the effort will produce a better result than using the tape recorder as a dac.

Can the DAC (QD01 SM5872BS) be tuned to work as well as the Sony ?

I read about the LM4562NA opamp but can not find it in Farnell.... can anyone help ?
I only can find the AD827JN or LT1361CN8#PBF in Farnell.. Can you please comment on the differences relative to the LM4562NA ?

Thank you all

Ricardo

RCruz said:

Hi Ricardo,

I think the best advice I can give is to say that the LM4562 sounds most like the discrete output stage of any op-amp I've tried (Brent agrees with this). So with this in mind try the 4562 (or its successor, whose model no. escapes me) and if you like it (but find it sterile at times) you will love Ray's discrete stage.

The improved output stage, which bypasses the HDAM (if CD63/7) and everything else after the DAC, makes a huge improvement to the musicality of the player.

Extra detail comes from reclocking the servo more than any other single change you can do, so try that. And this will help even if you continue to use the external DAC (which I doubt you will eventually).

Simon

I agree with the things Simon says about the lm6172's. I find them sterile at times, but the detail level makes up for the downsides.

Simon, for your external psu, do you rectify the ac in the psu or the cd player? If external, how much capacitance is it best to use for the (relatively) long connecting cable?

Cheers,

Lee.

Joined 2006
Paid Member
SimontY said:

Extra detail comes from reclocking the servo more than any other single change you can do, so try that. And this will help even if you continue to use the external DAC (which I doubt you will eventually).

Hi Simon

Thanks for the advice... I will try the servo reclocking.... can you suggest a simple low cost way ?

Regards

Ricardo

Thomo said:
Simon, for your external psu, do you rectify the ac in the psu or the cd player? If external, how much capacitance is it best to use for the (relatively) long connecting cable?

Hi Lee,

I rectify the AC in the PSU. I've not experimented with different amounts of smoothing, but the "more the merrier" approach seems sensible for this (any radiated noise is confined to the psu).

If you try this external idea be careful: listen (with it turned up loud) every time you swap a psu to external for added noise. I have a slight noise problem I could do with dealing with now and I'm not sure why!

RCruz said:
Thanks for the advice... I will try the servo reclocking.... can you suggest a simple low cost way ?

Ricardo,

It's my pleasure. I can't suggest a cheap way but the "Kwak Clock" is probably the cheapest and is fully DIY. It might not work out as the "best" solution though.

Simon

Joined 2006
Paid Member
SimontY said:

Hi Ricardo,

I think the best advice I can give is to say that the LM4562 sounds most like the discrete output stage of any op-amp I've tried (Brent agrees with this). So with this in mind try the 4562 (or its successor, whose model no. escapes me) and if you like it (but find it sterile at times) you will love Ray's discrete stage.

The improved output stage, which bypasses the HDAM (if CD63/7) and everything else after the DAC, makes a huge improvement to the musicality of the player.

Simon

SimontY said:

It's my pleasure. I can't suggest a cheap way but the "Kwak Clock" is probably the cheapest and is fully DIY. It might not work out as the "best" solution though.

Hi Simon

Where can I find these LM4562 ? Farnell does not have them..

What should be the optimum solution for the servo clock ?

I am not very experienced with the iron...
:hot: :hot: :hot:

Regards

Ricardo

RCruz said:

Hi Simon

Where can I find these LM4562 ? Farnell does not have them..

What should be the optimum solution for the servo clock ?

I am not very experienced with the iron...
:hot: :hot: :hot:

Regards

Ricardo

Hi Ricardo,

Try here

As far as I can tell, they're not a bad company to use:D

Thanks for the info Simon. As it is I've got a left channel hum now. Only when the player is switched on, but not changed by swapping the left/right interconnect!

Lee.

Andre Visser said:

I’ve discovered this thread a few weeks ago while searching for mods on my Marantz 63KI, it took a LOT of reading to get through all the posts but I can say it was worth every minute.

I’ve built my own 200W ClassA Monoblock amplifiers, almost finished with a set of 2.5way transmission line loudspeakers with Seas Excel drivers and my pre-amp should be “finished” in a month, so I think it is time to get working on the CD player.

200 W class A? that must produce a lot of heat as well. can you share the details of your system (2.5 way loudspeaker, preamp etc..)?

Thomo said:
I finished my mates cd67 the last weekend and he is very, very happy with it. It included a Superclock4 for which I built a power-supply. I am completely surprised by how much better the Superclock4 is compared with my Superclock2.

Over all there wasn't as much detail with his player compared to mine as it has fewer mods, but what was there was so cleanly separated and free from sibilance that I would trade them any day. Mine sounds congested next to the other. Does anyone know the differences between the two clocks? As far as I can tell the SC4 has better power supply filtering, but aside from that I don't know.

Can my superclock2 be improved or modded?

Lee.

I really think the main difference here is the 67 servo is fed its clock through the dac from the SC4. Unless you have clocked your servo now. I run SC3 on dac and SC2 on servo. Changing from SC2 to SC3 on dac gave very very small gains but adding the SC2 onto the servo gave large gains, fine detail and instruments became much clearer and realistic.

So if you have not fitted your SC2 to the servo do it then compare to the 67.

Also the price of a SC4 or the new one is quite expensive and I believe and know that this kind of money is better spent on low noise regs (providing you already have a decent clock)

Brent

Thanks for that Brent. I should have said that both players are cd67's, I had to sell the KI when I was made redundant due to lack of funds:bawling:

I've just remembered though that my mates cd67 was fitted with 1% silver mica caps in the filter, mine has 1% polystyrene. That maybe it.

Lee.