Marantz CD63 & CD67 mods list

Yeah. Last time I used Grandata I received four Lasers, and three of them were bad!

Still trying to get my refund after three months!

Nice avatar Glenn btw.

I am looking at adding my other Superclock II to the decoder of my cd67. Is the correct pin Pin21 - CRIN - Crystal/Resonator input?

Lee.

Re: Brent / Simon - more power !!!

jimh0612 said:
Just spotted this on the trading post - awesome!!!

2000 VA toroid!:devilr:

http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=106607

Very nice, ideal for the output stage maybe ;)

Just had two weeks in Crete and having a "first" listen - it's like being reacquainted with a lover.... Shame we can't make much noise as it's Saturday morning!

Simon (tanned) :hot:

Thomo said:
I am looking at adding my other Superclock II to the decoder of my cd67. Is the correct pin Pin21 - CRIN - Crystal/Resonator input?

Lee.

Hi Lee,

Pin 21 is the correct pin, but beware! Marantz screwed this up on the PCB and reversed pins 21 and 22. So all CD67 players existing today are using CROUT as the input at the moment :eek:. But it seems to work o.k. though...

If you are going to connect a second clock to the decoder that's independent of the clock connected to your DAC, that's not going to work. Both clocks need to be in sync because of the data transfer between the DAC and decoder. If the DAC clock has a second output you can use that one.

Regards,

Ray

6h5c said:

Hi Lee,

Pin 21 is the correct pin, but beware! Marantz screwed this up on the PCB and reversed pins 21 and 22. So all CD67 players existing today are using CROUT as the input at the moment :eek:. But it seems to work o.k. though...

If you are going to connect a second clock to the decoder that's independent of the clock connected to your DAC, that's not going to work. Both clocks need to be in sync because of the data transfer between the DAC and decoder. If the DAC clock has a second output you can use that one.

Regards,

Ray

Ahh, thanks for the info on the pins Ray . I guess I'll run coax from the clock output instead then.

Cheers guys, off to enjoy some more sunshine now:)

Lee.

Hi all.

Here's a pic of the ground-lift I recently added. This is also where the star-earth point is located. Also shown is the binding post, which is where ground is connected to my external PSU.

Attachments

• groundlift.jpg
    groundlift.jpg
    92.4 KB · Views: 326
Here's the output section as it now looks. Caps are 220uF Cerafine. DC wiring is enamelled solid core. Regs are Sercal S Power @ +/- 15v. Input and output wiring is 6N silver/teflon. Kiwame resistors and old to be replaced output caps.

You can also see one of my Sercal C1 clocks being fed by an Audiocom Super reg. Also in view (just) is the Sercal S Power feeding the DAC's analogue parts. The sound is amazing, although for some reason it won't play Jazz at the Pawn Shop since the recent upgrades....

Simon

Attachments

• output.jpg
    output.jpg
    96.4 KB · Views: 336
Very nice Simon. Are those soon-to-be-replaced output caps 6.8uF?

Interesting how you managed to get the thing to work with the extra tx's and rectifiers out-board. I couldn't get it to run like that, had to rectify in the player. Mind you that was before the CF03 (delayed startup) tweak.

Lee.

Here's a crappy picture of mine these days - though I haven't even opened it for a couple of months which must be a record!
Just enjoying the sound. :)

What you can't see is the Zapfilter's toroid which is attached to the cross-brace and sits between the jaws of the disc drawer (though you can see its PSU filter board at the bottom and the wires going off to the transformer). The caps just sneak in under the drawer.

The 4 DAC regs are fed from a pre-reg that sits where the -12V supply filter cap used to be. This is fed from the analogue winding which is no longer needed for the analogue stage, leaving the digital supply feeding decoder, servo et al.

BTW, the Zapfilter has -ve outputs as well to provide a balanced output if you want it. I used the +ve ones to the RCAs and the -ve ones carried on shielded cables round to where the headphone connector is. So I now also have a superb sounding headphone out (albeit phase-inverted). :)

Attachments

• cd67se.jpg
    cd67se.jpg
    98.6 KB · Views: 314
Thought I'd get in before Brent comes and steals the show!

My CD67

Along the back is the clock reg, down the far side the 5v dac digital and the 5v invisus for analogue. I have 2 x 5v reg supplying the decoder and one spare for which I am going to add another tx and supply the tda1302 on the mech-board.

Star earth is on the Earth pin of iec socket.

Lee.

Hi guys. Av bin moddin' my CD67 again!

I have further separated the 5v rails on the decoder. Pin 59 - digital supply core now has it's own dedicated reg.

I have also cut the track for the 5v line to the TDA1302 on the mech board and supplied it with it's own reg. I've also replaced the cheapo elco with 100uF Rubycon ZA and replaced ceramic caps with 100nF x7r's.

Tomorrow I will be supplying these regs with their own tx, schottky's etc.

These mods are definitely worth doing if you have a CD67. Better presentation of finer details and tonal definition. Better separation all-round.

Lee.

I still have one spare 5v reg in there doing nothing - any ideas on where to use it?

I plan to supply the laser driver with it's own tx etc like Brent did, but apart from that and the discrete output stage the only things I can do now I think are add some better quality regs.

Lee.

Thomo said:
Thought I'd get in before Brent comes and steals the show!
Lee.

Nice job, more so when everything fits in place. Not like mine...
An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.

I was working on a Low Noise reg for the Discrete Output when I came across the Jung Regulator (AKA ALW-reg). Is there any progress reported to this approach? The CD63 was considered quite noisy but audio levels are not that low. I wonder if it would benefit from a 'state of the art' power supply for -let's say- the buffer and DA converter.