Marantz CD63 & CD67 mods list

rowemeister said:

"Re-jig of power supplies next, and feed the servo chip from its own regs. I think I'm nearly done then!"

No you are not and you know it LOL

Brent

No sir, sorry sir. I will endevour to place super regs on every voltage rail. I will put better smoothing caps in my external supplies. I will change the HF and RF amp components to precision parts (resistors and caps). I will use a Superclock 3 to feed my DAC and my DVC-1 clock will be dedicated to the servo. Output caps will be exchanged for Black Gate AC type.

Then will I be done???

Simon ;)

SimontY said:
Re-jig of power supplies next, and feed the servo chip from its own regs.

I don't know if this helps or not, but I modded a 63 years ago (i.e., not the 67SE I'm currently molesting).

The servo controller (TDA1301T) is fed the 5V regulated supply (albeit the same one as everything else in the stock player) but the servo amps (TCA0372 x3) are fed the unregulated +/-10V raw digital supply (actually a bit higher than 10V)

It may have been only because it was still using the one transformer, but I got a huge leap in bass quality when I regulated these servo amps. They draw large currents and it probably stopped the noise generated leaking back into the supply for everything else. Just hypothesising here though.

IIRC I used LM317/337 and regulated them to +/-7.75V

(BTW - In the 67 they run off +5V/0V and have their own dedicated reg - that's what the other 7805 does.)

Having said all that, if you've already got a separate trafo for the DAC supplies, the gains here may be small or non-existent. Just thought it worth bringing up.

(P.S. decided not bother with the tennis today!)

Cheers Glenn (lol @ molesting a CD67se)! Another to add to the list I think. If your theory is correct it won't make a big difference in mine. I'm using a few extra transformers already. I'd like to try it though (probably after seperated 5v regs for servo chip.)

Simon

ps - this rain is ridiculous now. There are ducks SWIMMING in the local park's cricket pitch! Not just paddling - swimming, really.

Probably the most action a cricket pitch has seen in years ;-)

It always surprised me why servo amps aren't regulated (my CD940 is the same), Martin told me in a another thread it was due to (if I recall) feedback in the servo loop making it fairly accurate without regulation, but I hadn't thought of its affects on other parts of the circuit, being unregulated.

Maybe one for me to try too one day.

Yebbut the particular problem the 63 suffers from is that there is only one5v reg...for everything!

Stopping interaction is always a good thing. I'd back Glenn's proposition about reduced interaction for the 'better bass' phenomenon of getting the servo loop(s) off the same raw supply that feeds the clock, the dac, the dac's analogue stage... etc...

[Phil you recall quite correctly, but I meant in the sense that the servo loop bandwidth is entirely set in firmware in the decoder (in Philips chipsets anyway). This is one reason Naim, amongst others, write their own firmware... ]

Sounds like your college course was a barrel of laughs!
I used to find state space methods (doing control theory with matrices) the perfect opportunity to flatline.
We also had to endure (to gain IEE accreditation) economics, finance, business studies, and Total Quality Management.
I really struggled with the coursework for those courses, just trying to motivate myself to finish them, but at least I was never sleep deprived as a student.

Five suicides? How did they do it? Was it simply by having 'please don't resuscitate' on a pendant round their necks? I'd be to busy comatosing to have the energy to do the deed in a lecture like that ;)

cd63, x02 and problems

Hello (tip of hat all around).
I'm not sure if calculus, beer or xo2 is more OT after 700 pages, but I need help if you please... :bawling:
Finally after years decided to try a tent x02. (btw-Love my cd63 with all the tnt and accoustica mods, not to mention afew from here.)

Three wires, not too hard i'd think.

purple- clock signal to pin 28.
(actually just to u196 about 1/2'' from 28 and on top of the pcb. black- ground to the leg of c005 since it is on top and closest to the sm5872.
red- 10 to 35volts should work according to tent labs (which seems to be down, btw) I grabbed 12v from u216 next to the hdam since it's easy.

powers up- no smoke!
insert disc- laser tries to focus twice, display flashes twice (normal) then stays on 'disk'.

I have tried checking all connections, reseating all ribbons, confirming ground on the x02, moving ground to R002 where the old crystal connected.

Suggestions appreciated! :xeye:

Thanks for the help, both previous and future!

(I think I'll have a screwdriver instead of beer!)
;)

Attachments

• xo-mounting.jpg
    xo-mounting.jpg
    96.1 KB · Views: 295
Hello guys,

I am thinking about ordering a bunch of parts for my CD63 MKII KI. BursonAudio clock and a load of parts from farnell. But I am still not shure what kind of capacitors to use for the filter. What would be best, polystyrene or silver mica?

Also, any updates on Ray's partlist would be great. Ill probably order about 80% of it. Plus copper tape, 3 toriods (2x 2x6V 30VA + 1x 2x15V 30VA) 6 regulators with dual ZLH's and SMD bypass caps and extra diodes. I already have some new mains with ground and input filter.

I have already switched opamps to OPA2134 (LM4562 is next), power supply around DAC & opamps is all STD & NQ blackgate, switched regulators, removed mute and headphone circuit, removed output capacitors and did some small modifications. It already sounds wonderfull, but there is more to gain. The level of detail is just creepy ;)

The level of detail is superb when you put a new clock in. Either of those caps are fine. I don't think you'll find anybody that can tell you one is better than the other. Brent has used all silver mica, Ray and some others have used polystyrene. I've used the latter and of course I'm very happy. Or I was till I broke my player again. :hot:

Regards,
Simon