Marantz CD63 & CD67 mods list

Hi there,
I've tried to finish my Raygulators by fitting the mounting pins. I got fed up by these small things and damaged the Raygulators. I'm a bit tired of touching this again and again, want to make a pause. Before I want to upgrade the regs : no more cheap Audiocom regs on eBay, Tentlabs seems to have gone away (XO page does not show pics anymore, many mails and the money sent and no news...)
Any other alternatives to cheap regs?

Thanks

edit : or someone has some to sell?

Malefoda said:
Ok I've cooled down...
here are the bugs:
An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.

I'll just (if Guido...) order a Tent Shunt +5V wich make shipping free is bought with a XO, wich I've already paid. I think already put this instead the 7805 will improve the CDP while I've no separate TX.

Bye folks.

Nice work Matthieu!

Be careful of Tentlabs shunt - the 5V can only handle 80mA. The nature of a shunt reg means that it passes the max current at all times, and this is generally lower than a series regulator. Don't try to feed the whole digital section with this.

Guido is alive - I emailed him the other day and he replied three minutes later!

Malefoda said:
Maybe later for separate 5V rails ;)

Also unwise to put loads of shunts in off the original transformer as they would all be conducting their maximum current (in conjunction with the load).

Think of them like class A amps. The reg passes the max current when idle, diverting it to the load when required. Total power consumption is constant.

A series reg is more like class B in this respect.

rowemeister said:

:up: :up: :up: :up:

Excellent!! another happy Black Gate owner.
They will get better too.

Brent

Again, I fitted BG 2 x 1000 UF/35V to replace C803/804, 2 x 1000UF/16V to replace C805/806, 4x470uF/35V around DAC.......first impression 'dull,very bad in the all area',
After 2 hour break in.. ... dream come true ......the music become real, improvement in the all area, staging,dept,articulation etc.....:bigeyes: :bigeyes:

Tks all
Regards

aquar

Attachments

• new bg.jpg
    new bg.jpg
    36.8 KB · Views: 354
aquar said:
Glenn2 said:

Don't try to feed the whole digital section with this.

Hi Glenn2

Why ?
BTW, on hand I have 7 pcs 5V Raygulator ready to fit in but I interested with 'Flea' for 5V supply.

Rgds
aquar

Matthieu was talking about the Tentlabs 5v shunt regulator. According to Guido's site (which looks a tad unwell at the moment) this can supply only 80mA. This is not enough for DAC+decoder+servo controller+CPU+RF/HF amps so I was saying it would not be a good idea to replace the existing 7805 with one of these. The 78M05 is a 500mA device.

I've no idea what the Flea can handle but the LM317 will be OK unless it's 100mA LM317Z part and you're driving everything with one of them (which you are not).

The above is gravy on my spuds! I'm having opamp up-grade fever:xeye: I would like to hear more about these two/comparing.
My LM4562's are burning in but thus far I don't hear an "engineering" sound (I sort of know what you mean) but I am willing to be proven wrong or at least to hear an alternative. This stuff is very subjective, n'est ce pas...I did have a thought though:
this thread is SOOO long...I wonder if we're even still talking about the same players anymore! Just for the record, mine is one from Brent: call it a mid-level modified '67. I added a lot of bitumen/sheet damping to the case and bits of that strange noise cancelling paper here and there (I haven't a clue where it is supposed to go actually. There doesn't seem to be a consensus)

Shields

I added some shields the other day to try to cure the long-standing intermittant noise/oscilation problem. It didn't really work but it does seem to have improved the sound, making it cleaner and less harsh. The shields cover three sides of the clock and also the psu coils (from wiring). I also shortened and neatened one or two wires.

Simon

Attachments

• shields.jpg
    shields.jpg
    95.8 KB · Views: 365