Marantz CD63 & CD67 mods list

YoungSC said:

I have probed under the hood and have found that the 7812 and 7818 regs are right, but the 5V reg is only putting out 0.35V. The diodes before the 5V reg all have 27Vac across them. I haven't checked C813 yet, but plan to do so.)

I would guess that the regulator is ok but it is not getting the right input.

BTW I'd report the guy anyway he sold you a "working CD player" not a "fix-it-upper".

unless of course there is evidence that something got broken in transit.

I've since received a message from him saying he'd refund the purchase price of the player but wants me to ship it back at my cost (and maybe not refund the price of shipping to me, I'm not sure).

I'll hopefully get time to have a look in the next couple of days. My preference is to get it working, because I bought it at a reasonable price, plus it saves having to look for another unit.

I guess had I been paying attention I would have read that opamps need some time to settle in. The 627's are now sounding better. I still feel they are more of a side-ways change than an improvement. I have issues with the bass and the over-all sound is a bit dry. I should have the new 4562's any minute. I will not make he same mistake in judging them in haste! Can anyone explain the purpose in adding the caps to this mix? Brent didn't sound too convinced. I am not keen on taking the player apart to get to the board if it isn't really a must.
I repeat my request for sourcing a laser/sled/assembly for the 67:att'n: sources?

shepperd said:
I guess had I been paying attention I would have read that opamps need some time to settle in. The 627's are now sounding better. I still feel they are more of a side-ways change than an improvement. I have issues with the bass and the over-all sound is a bit dry. I should have the new 4562's any minute. I will not make he same mistake in judging them in haste! Can anyone explain the purpose in adding the caps to this mix? Brent didn't sound too convinced. I am not keen on taking the player apart to get to the board if it isn't really a must.
I repeat my request for sourcing a laser/sled/assembly for the 67:att'n: sources?

If you find the (to my ears) lush-sounding 627 dry then you will definately find the 4562s dry. They add nothing to the sound, it just comes as is, with no gravy or bread sauce. The bass is perhaps a tad bloated on the 627s.

The caps clean up the power supplies feeding the op-amps. You don't definately absolutely need them there. But do you have Black Gates next to the op-amps like Brent? If not then additional decoupling caps may lower noise here. I believe that's the idea. I have found the sound can be sloppy and loose if no decoupling caps sit near the op-amps.

Simon

Simon, Funny how we have different perceptions of these things!
I would sure not call them 'lush". nor is the bass blooted, just a bit shy and lacking in impact. No there are no Black Gates, just a crowd of Panasonic's. I don't honestly know if they relate to the op amps. Brent would have to answer that. I an old/beginner, on a wing and a prayer! Brent's mods are great, although Idon't have the total package by any means, the player is lean and mean. I'm just trying to squeeze the most out of it for the least $. Going the whole 9 yards costs a packet and there's a point of diminishing returns... especially since I have an unhappy laser that has a will of its own.

shepperd said:
ahh, a flash of Northern humour! B. you Must have a laser/block/sled gathering dust in the shop.......

Seriously that's how much I would want minimum to sell it. I have invested around £500 on it + the hours of free labour. I know its as good as if not better than most £2k players.

I have no lasers here, I just buy one if a new laser is needed.
Why not buy a cheap cd53/63 off ebay that works and swap the mech over. + you will have some spares.

Brent

Well Shepperd,

I think a lot of what we hear must depend on the resolving power of the system as a whole. This means your amplifer(s), speakers, and to some extent the cabling, and a large extent the infrastructure. If your room acoustics are terrible or your speakers not set up correctly or if they have a weak bass response you will not hear very good bass from any source, never mind what op-amp you use. And remember that synergy is important - it all has to work well together. Some upgrades require others before they sound right! An example would be silver wiring, which seems to sound terrible in the wrong gear.

The mods Brent does to the cheaper Ebay CD players, such as yours, offer great value to the buyer in my opinion. However, you will not hear stunning bass impact and depth without reclocking and going OTT on the power supplies. Ditto for all areas of the reproduction. Most people here can only dream of what Brent's player sounds like (it sounds like real life - nothing added, nothing taken away). Unfortunately there's no shortcut to this level of quality - it just takes time, research, money and skill (or just lots of money).

Stop dreaming of quick fixes and consider the enjoyment of the music, not perfection, unless you want to get really involved and take it apart and risk breaking it lots. It must sound pretty good as it is! :cool:

Simon

Brent, I don't doubt you for a minute! If I had 1500£ to spend it would be on my car! You are right though, I should stop trying to find a laser and just buy a used 67 on e-bay. The swap-over is easy. I know because I took mine apart to try and find the fault. Someone suggested bad ribbon connectors somewhere here. Does that sound likely?
Simon, I appreciate your input. Doing it the cheap and easy way can be an excercize in frustration. Just to be clear though, I have GREAT speakers, a nifty amp, good wires and a very "easy" room.
Even though I am in my dotage, I still have good ears and 35 years of audio insanity to back up my opinions (which are nothing more than...) I wish I had learned more instead of the hit-and-miss approach:xeye: I am just humbly trying to learn a bit from you guys who obviously are WAY ahead, cutting-edge types. I had a Swiss friend who was a very hard-core diyer and knew his stuff backwards. He used to get really cross with me because I didn't understand a thing, just wanted results!!! He wanted me to understand WHY the results were...