Marantz CD63 & CD67 mods list

marcusdeming said:
If i am not mistaken, this is more impt for the circuit at the DAC and opamps right?

Yep, that's correct.

AndrewT said:
Hi,
now that we know that pps=poly etc.
Tell us if they are worth using.
I have rarely if ever seen them at or near the top of a "recommended for audio" listing.

What characteristic do they have that makes them attractive?

These are caps with a dielectricum that has very good properties, much better compared to X7R and MKT. Only NP0 and MKP can compete with some parameters, but they are not always available in SMD or 'big' values like 100n. I use them a lot for local decoupling, the 1913 SMD size fits nicely on the back of the PCB where a 5mm pitch ceramic used to be. I posted a table here that gives an overview.

Ray

Can someone sumarise the last 500+ pages into a list of popular mods that work well and should probably be done first?

I've got a 67OSE sat here doing nothing so I'm thinking of learning as I go and if I break it then tuff ****!! I'm also looking out for a CD10 as these seem to be fairly beefy transports, are they similar in anyway?
Cheers

Hi guys,

Happy new year to all of you !!!

marcusdeming said:
Ray,

Can I confirm with you with regards to the mod of the DAC section, CD05, 06, 12 & 13, when replaced with ecaps, do I have to take note of the polarity?

If yes, which side is the negative and which is the positive?

Yes, the polarity is important. The idea of this mod is to place the electrolytics closer to the DAC chip, and replace the 100n on the bottom side of the PCB in parallel with the electrolytic. The minus has to be connected to the ground-plane, the larger copper area that runs under the DAC and connects to U208 (U203 for a CD63).

Regards,

Ray

6h5c said:
Hi guys,

Happy new year to all of you !!!

Yes, the polarity is important. The idea of this mod is to place the electrolytics closer to the DAC chip, and replace the 100n on the bottom side of the PCB in parallel with the electrolytic. The minus has to be connected to the ground-plane, the larger copper area that runs under the DAC and connects to U208 (U203 for a CD63).

Regards,

Ray

Hi Ray,

I don't quite get it, do u have a picture of it.

Thanks for the help. Really noobish with electronics.

Regards,
Marcus