Marantz CD63 & CD67 mods list

on this side of the world, alot of discussions are done and dusted while I sleep:)
To all those that commented on the mains stuff, yes Im sceptical and cant find a scientific reason that it should matter, but I figured it would make most diference on sources.
Simon, you may be right, I havent done alot of listening to my system lately, I will keep an open mind for a wee bit longer.
And your also right about talking about cd67 and 63:)
Im not trying to detract, its just I often read over this thread and power cords have had a mention (actually may have been you Simon).
Im going to get started on my cd67 now the 6000 is finished. BTW did anyone ever make PCBs for the discrete output stage?

Luke said:
BTW did anyone ever make PCBs for the discrete output stage?

I'm working on one. I have two weeks christmas holiday starting today, and it's almost finished, so i'm hoping to get the etch-tank working at the end of this week :D.

Jaap (disco) also made a nice PCB, if you do a search you'll find lots of info on this subject.

Regards,

Ray

Simon, do you have any pics of how u mounted the Blue Leds on the 63 transport, have been looking at this and can only figure they were mounted on the sides of the supports that go over the top of the disc ?

I was thinking of trying to mount them on a slight angle to aim the blue intensity towards the laser position, what u reckon ?

Dennis

Luke said:
Hi Ray,

are you going to sell these pcbs or your designing a layout for people to etch their own?

Hi Luke,

I designed the layout for myself, and if people want to etch their own PCB i'll be happy to donate the files. If there is enough interest maybe a small production run is an option. But I do not have the means to do that, i'm not working in electronics production anymore.

Regards,

Ray

Hi Glenn,

I have the stock cd6000, it hads 4 opamps before the hdam for summing of the dual dac signals I think? The OSE has a little clip on board that has 4 hdams instead of opamps. Perhaps this player modded sounds better than mine.
The cd6000 borrowed Silmics from the cd67se and I clocked it, added loads of elna for audio and fc panasonic caps, all decoupling was silmic (220 or 470uF)or for digital I used OSCON (180uF) build regulators (lm317 337) 2 new transofrmers dampening.
It actually isnt as musical as the cd67, it seems to have a bit more weight and authority but I perfer the cd67.
It may also be that I used 3300 capacitance after the reg. I read somewhere that its better to have less after the reg.
I imagine if I got some silmics and clock for the cd67 it would be better than the 6000, but I intend to make a discrete output and new supplies too, only will use smaller decoupling caps and caps after reg.

Hi Ray,

theres a couple of other things I need to make so ill wait for your layouts:)

I keep thinking I should change the electrolytics in the analogue stage of my 67se.

Those Elnas are 10 years old now and many are saying that newer standard ones like Panasonic FC/FM and Rubycon ZA/ZL sound better anyway.

It seems Elna Silmic/Cerafine and Nichicon Muse caps are impossible to find these days anyway.

I used Pan TSHA 6800uF/35v before the 12v regs and FC 1200uF/16V after, but still have the Cerafines at the op-amps (LM6172) and the original coupling caps (220uF Silmics) decoupling the HDAM (which I converted to be the 2nd stage of the filter). They are bypassed with 10nF Wima MKP.

Glenn2 said:
I keep thinking I should change the electrolytics in the analogue stage of my 67se.

Those Elnas are 10 years old now and many are saying that newer standard ones like Panasonic FC/FM and Rubycon ZA/ZL sound better anyway.

It seems Elna Silmic/Cerafine and Nichicon Muse caps are impossible to find these days anyway.

You're absolutely right. Those caps should be ditched after 10 years of service. But people tend to hang on to these things because they are Cerafines, even if they are from the dinosaur age :D. I have a bunch of them for sale, anyone interested?

Michael Percy has a nice list of Nichicon Muse, most of them are in stock too.

Regards,

Ray

avr300 said:
I use my Cerafines simply because I trust my ears. They sounds way better than the FC's - in the analog section of cause.

Are those the original (old) ones? Did you try BG there? Theoretically a new BG should do better there, but that's just theory, the ears cannot be tricked. I have good experience with them though.

I know some people that hung on to that special expensive interconnect they bought 10+ years ago, until they heard a new one. The point is: all this stuff ages, and you have to renew things once in a while to get that sound back you like(d) so much. Nasty thing is, it happens very slowly, so you don't notice it until you change something.

Ray

6h5c said:

You're absolutely right. Those caps should be ditched after 10 years of service. But people tend to hang on to these things because they are Cerafines, even if they are from the dinosaur age :D. I have a bunch of them for sale, anyone interested?

Michael Percy has a nice list of Nichicon Muse, most of them are in stock too.

Regards,

Ray

Hi Ray,

Have you ever used audio-cube? They appear to stock Silmic II and Cerafines. I didn't think Cerafines were still being made.

Now I have to choose between Silmic II, Cerafine, BG std, BG FK. It's tempting to stay with a Cerafine/Silmic mix so it stays 'Marantzy' (now there's a new word for you :D).

I have a mix of Silmic and Muse KZ in my pre, but those are rarer than hen's teeth too it seems.

poynton said:

But would you trust them? Plenty of stories of fake transistors and capacitors from China.

This also raises another query - what about shelf life? If they've been hanging around for years, would they have deteriorated significantly?

Also, if I went for BG, is there anybody in the UK (or EU I suppose) selling them cheaper than Audiocom? (There must be....)