Marantz CD63 & CD67 mods list

Hi guys,

I am attempting some small mod on my cd63 but without any background in electronics, some terms are somewhat difficult for me to understand.

I have downloaded the cd63 mods list and it would be gd if someone can show me a photo of what is meant:

"-Place varistor S20K250 directly on mains pins of IEC socket or on mains terminals on PCB.
- Insert common-mode filter (Farnell 353-2331). Remove U242/243/245/246 and insert filter instead.
-Place two class X or Y capacitors 4,7n/250Vac across mains before and after filter."

the farnell code seems to be obsolete, and it would be really gd if you guys have photos showing how these sections...

many thanks in advance.

Regards.

marcusdeming said:
Hi guys,
"-Place varistor S20K250 directly on mains pins of IEC socket or on mains terminals on PCB.
- Insert common-mode filter (Farnell 353-2331). Remove U242/243/245/246 and insert filter instead.
-Place two class X or Y capacitors 4,7n/250Vac across mains before and after filter."

the farnell code seems to be obsolete, and it would be really gd if you guys have photos showing how these sections...

many thanks in advance.

Regards.

Hi Marcus,

The CD63 mods list is a bit older; if you look in the CD57 mods list (you can find it on my site) you'll find more up-to-date Farnell order numbers for these components.

Here are two photos of the mains section:

Attachments

• cd57_mains.jpg
    cd57_mains.jpg
    59.3 KB · Views: 609
hi ray,

Thanks for the picture.

i do not quite understand the remarks column what does it mean?
is it soemthing thats required when we change the caps.

I have a cd63se and i am thinking of chnaging a couple of the caps first and slowly progressing to opamp change to the HDAM bypass.

Currently planning to change the power supply HDAM opamps ecaps.. can i just do a plaint swap, or is there anything to take note of. Will also be trying out the 2134 opamp, cos i have some spare, it should be ok right?

regards,
Marcus

marcusdeming said:
Currently planning to change the power supply HDAM opamps ecaps.. can i just do a plaint swap, or is there anything to take note of. Will also be trying out the 2134 opamp, cos i have some spare, it should be ok right?

regards,
Marcus

Hi Marcus,

Just make sure the caps are the appropriate voltage rating and physical size (so they fit), and make sure you put them in the correct way round. The OPA2134 is a fine choice of op-amp, but solder in a socket, then plug the 2134 into that. That way you won't damage it with heat, plus you can try other op-amps (like LM4562).

Regards,
Simon

Hi Simon,

I have soldered in the sockets, will be fitting in the opamps later to try it out. I did not select the 2134 just happened to have some leftovers from the my cmoy.

was looking at some nichicon gold, muse and cerafine. and also one that caught my eye was the panasonic x-audio..
Any recommendation for ecaps..?

marcusdeming said:
was looking at some nichicon gold, muse and cerafine. and also one that caught my eye was the panasonic x-audio..
Any recommendation for ecaps..?

Of those the Cerafine is a safe bet for nice sound. According to some people the cap shouldn't make any difference as long as it is large in capacity (and they have proof, wow!).

However, in the real world Cerafine sounds good, as do Black Gates. Nichicon might be ok, I used some MUSE once for something and it was fine. The Pana i don't know!

Simon

alright might just give the cerafine a try.

Will start off with the ecaps at the power supply and hdam opamp section. The value should be the same as recommended in the mod list right.

What is remark columm for..? Those +100n x7R stuff, what are they for? Do we need to include tat too..? or can we do without it?

Apologise if my question sounds silly. have got no idea about electronics terms.

marcusdeming said:
alright might just give the cerafine a try.

Will start off with the ecaps at the power supply and hdam opamp section. The value should be the same as recommended in the mod list right.

What is remark columm for..? Those +100n x7R stuff, what are they for? Do we need to include tat too..? or can we do without it?

Apologise if my question sounds silly. have got no idea about electronics terms.

Not silly at all. The value can be whatever you like, as long as it's "reasonable" ie. between about 100uF and 4700uF. Don't bother with the 100n x7R, it's not needed for these locations (that cap is to put in parallel to extend the high freqeuncy performance of the main cap, which is more relevant for digital circuits, if at all).

Simon

marcusdeming said:
hi ray,

Thanks for the picture.

i do not quite understand the remarks column what does it mean?
is it soemthing thats required when we change the caps.

Hi Marcus,

The remarks column gives some additional information about the specific line it is behind. The +100n PPS or X7R means I bypassed the electrolytic cap mentioned in that line with an additional film or ceramic cap. Like Simon mentioned, it extends the high frequency range over which the decoupling is effective.

Because of parasitic inductance there is a limit to the maximum frequency at which electrolytics operate properly. That's simply caused by the way they are constructed. Some caps have a better high frequency response because they are made with this in mind, but in most cases putting a good quality film cap in parallel still improves things. It mainly reduces high-frequency noise that's radiated into the power-lines.

Regards,

Ray

Have place an order thru farnell for the parts recommended in the mod list except for the WIMA caps replacement and Q801/802.

All the parts are the one stated in the list, Will be getting cerafine for the opamps section C611-c614, and bypassing the HDAM later on after the power supply cap change. have also ordered ad826 as recommended by a frd.

Do let me know if i am on the right track, thanks...

marcusdeming said:
hi simon and ray,

thanks for the reply, though i am still a little lost.

Does it matters whether better caps like cerafine or BG are used in the power supply section. Does it impact the sound quality?

If i'm going to try out an opamp like the ad826, would it be advisable for me to bypass the hdam?

Hi Marcus,

Caps like Cerafine and BG will improve the sound compared to "basic" caps when used in the power supplies. The "decoupling" locations, such as right next to the op-amps are the most important place to put these luxury caps. The sound may become more open, full, fluid and relaxed.

marcusdeming said:
Have place an order thru farnell for the parts recommended in the mod list except for the WIMA caps replacement and Q801/802.

All the parts are the one stated in the list, Will be getting cerafine for the opamps section C611-c614, and bypassing the HDAM later on after the power supply cap change. have also ordered ad826 as recommended by a frd.

Do let me know if i am on the right track, thanks...

I reckon you are on the right track. Don't ignore the many positive reports of the new dual op-amp LM4562 from National. You can order up to five free sample pieces of it from their website. It sounds very neutral and i think it truly offers high fidelity.

Simon

Hi Simon,

Thanks. I have place the order and they should be arriving tomorrow. Will be changing the ecaps and diode, if time permits, i will try to get the Elna cerafine or BGs for the opamp section tomorrow.

in fact my cdp came with the cerafine caps, just that the values are lower.110uf/25v
100_1824Small.jpg

I tried to remove the HDAM cover but it seems difficult to, did any of u have the same problem??

Refering to the photo below, this is a iec connector with a noise filter that i have soldered it on a couple of months back. Can i still add the varistor and the X and Y capacitor as shown by Ray in his previous post?

If i could can someone gives me the parts number in farnell, the number on the mod list seems obselete(i am looking at the 2006 copy) and i do not know which one to chose from when i do a search in farnell web site.
100_1868Small.jpg

marcusdeming said:
Refering to the photo below, this is a iec connector with a noise filter that i have soldered it on a couple of months back. Can i still add the varistor and the X and Y capacitor as shown by Ray in his previous post?

If i could can someone gives me the parts number in farnell, the number on the mod list seems obselete(i am looking at the 2006 copy) and i do not know which one to chose from when i do a search in farnell web site.

Hi Marcus,

You already have a mains filter fitted, so it's not much use to fit another one. You can place the varistor though, that shouldn't hurt. I don't know why some partnumbers are obsolete, they are all still available over here as far as I can tell.

Regards,

Ray

marcusdeming said:
Hi Simon,

Thanks. I have place the order and they should be arriving tomorrow. Will be changing the ecaps and diode, if time permits, i will try to get the Elna cerafine or BGs for the opamp section tomorrow.

in fact my cdp came with the cerafine caps, just that the values are lower.110uf/25v

I tried to remove the HDAM cover but it seems difficult to, did any of u have the same problem??

Hi, of course Cerafines are already there, I forgot! They are ok as they are. To really go up from there you could try Black Gate caps, but more benefit will come from putting nice caps in the locations where they are not nice as standard ie. around the DAC, decoder and servo. I have Black Gate Standard 330uF or 470uF in all these locations, and 1000uF next to the op-amps. As these are "luxury", not industrial parts you won't find them at Farnell.

Yes, the HDAM covers are difficult to remove. You could just leave them on - you don't need to remove those to disable and bypass the HDAM modules. Just do it as Ray shows.