Marantz CD63 & CD67 mods list

Re: R149, R150, R164, R165 missing

jvdberg said:
Hi,

I've a CD63SE giving an Err02 error intermittently.

Opened up the player, but R149, R150, R164, R165 are missing from the main PCB and has been replaced by wire "bridges". I've compared it to a CD53 and all the mentioned resistors are indeed in place.

Is this normal on a CD63SE model not to have these resistors populated? What would the reasoning be behind such a mod?

Sorry I'm a bit of a noob with this ...

Thanks,
Johan

The 'missing' resistors will not give the ERR02. If it is intermittant, I suspect a dry joint or bad contact on a connector.

Check the board carefully and resolder any suspect joint.
Also clean the laser if not already done.

Andy

Re: R149, R150, R164, R165 missing

jvdberg said:
Opened up the player, but R149, R150, R164, R165 are missing from the main PCB and has been replaced by wire "bridges".
Is this normal on a CD63SE model not to have these resistors populated? What would the reasoning be behind such a mod?
This is one of the Special Edition improvements! I've done the same to my 63. They give the focus and other motors more juice. The "Bobwire" mod list suggests using low impedence chokes and beefing up the decoupling electrolytic. I just used ferrites with cap upgrades on all those motor drives and the RF amp. The CD63SE service manual is a two page addendum to the CD63 manual with the part differences.

I don't think your focus error is from those jumpers.

martin clark said:
LOL! Is Rock City still going then? Fantastic, many great nights spent there...

- Martin
[size=-1]BA (Architecture&Env Design) Nottm 89-92, B.Arch Nottm 93-95...[/size]

PS. getting there, these days - horns are your friends ;)

haha it is, and it's still a hole :D

Fantastic gig and they finished with a sing along to boyz to men. ROFL

Right off to this houseparty in a bit for some blowing stuff up (none of my cd63's involved), and will try and score with drunk and horny students :D

Re: Re: R149, R150, R164, R165 missing

poynton said:

The 'missing' resistors will not give the ERR02. If it is intermittant, I suspect a dry joint or bad contact on a connector.

Check the board carefully and resolder any suspect joint.
Also clean the laser if not already done.

Andy

Hi, thanks for the quick reply! The player gave Err02 randomly and I also saw the disc spinning anti-clockwise some times in test mode. (Similar to what some other posters reported elsewhere in this thread). Some voltages were definitely off around QM01.

I started by swapping transports. But did not "cure" the problem.

Yes, I was actually going through the PCB looking for a bad joint etc, when I accidentally shorted 2 pins on QM01 :hot: - with the results similar to what I believe adfinni experienced on on of his players! :)
Well I was very lucky, and the player powered right up and is playing (better!) again after replacing QM01.
markk02474 said:
The CD63SE service manual is a two page addendum to the CD63 manual with the part differences.

Aaah, great thx for the info! Yes, I guess that might explain some of the voltage differences I'm seeing comparing the CD63SE to the CD63 manual.

Both of the downloaded manuals I have only go to page 28? Do you perhaps know where I can find the addendum?

Thanks again guys! I believe this must be one of the most, if not the most, informative threads on the Net!

-Johan

Re: Re: Re: R149, R150, R164, R165 missing

jvdberg said:
Both of the downloaded manuals I have only go to page 28? Do you perhaps know where I can find the addendum?
There were only 28 pages. I have the separate 2-page document on the parts differences in the SE. No schematics. No voltage differences. Just one line part numbers and descriptions. There's interest, so, I'll scan it and post it here. Give me a week though.

YoungSC said:
How do you guys rate OsCons and Panasonic FC capacitors?

Where are they best placed?
What the best way to implement them?

Thanks,

Simon(Oz)

Hi Simon ;)

I've yet to try any os-cons, but I will soon be making an order which includes 6 of them. They'll be used in the RF/HF areas. I will report.

I'm also about to add 9 Black Gate standards, which at these values are only a little more expensive than big Panasonic FCs. 330u and 470u BG will be replacing mostly Pana FC 4700u. I will report on what changes I hear. I might get these put in tonight. The locations are CD15, CD16, CD07, CD04, C510, C511, C513, C120 and C122 (in a CD63).

The 4700uF Pana FC used provided a sound smoother and fuller than the stock decoupling capacitors, but it's time to try even better.

I have 1000u BG Standard next to my op-amps and they work very well here.

Pana FC are also good of course. I use 33uF "bypass" underneath the op-amps in my preamp and they work well, much much better than no bypass cap at all.

Simon (UK) :)

YoungSC said:
How do you guys rate OsCons and Panasonic FC capacitors?

Where are they best placed?
What the best way to implement them?

Thanks,

Simon(Oz)

I used the FC's in my player. The FC is a Low ESR cap designed for high-speed switching applications. I placed them on all digital decoupling locations as well as the power supply. I placed them on the power supply since the digital circuitry is between the power supply and the analog section. Thus, I wanted the cap on the P/S more suited to handling the faster switching of the digital to keep it clean. The only section I would recommend a dedicated "analog" cap such as Cerafine or Black gate is the Op-Amp and DAC Analog decoupling.

Never tried the OsCons ...

kmj said:
Hi guys. First I must appologise for asking stuff that with all probability already are answered but I am pressed for time.
Didn't have time for >4,000 posts?

OK, my suggestions are in order of importance:
Replace the following with wire: R613,R614,R615,R616, C657,C658. The resistors starve the opamps for power and the latter are unnecessary DC blocking capacitors at the output.

Put in the mounting sockets and try the other opamps. Will likely be better. Eventually get some LM4562MA's and pop them in.

Try your bypasses instead of CD12 and CD13 (DAC analog +5V) - use the larger film capacitors. Do these changes alone so you can listen for the differences - very sensitive location.

Each will bring you a long way forward, quickly.