Marantz CD63 & CD67 mods list

rowemeister said:

I agree to a certain extent. Of course Naim can't be doing things too badly.

This is definatly and improvement in audio over a small pcb with 4 regs and small toroid, trust me i've built an millions (err alot anyway lol):smash: I'm sure if i could squeeze this psu into the unit then the benefits would be greater. This psu does have a rather large Toroid in it.
So basically two identical psu with one inside and one external the internal one will give better gains. But a good external will be better than an average internal IMHO

Brent

Hi.

External power supplies are nothing new. One of the original articles on modding the CD63 used one.

http://www.acoustica.org.uk/t/63/63hacks3.html

Maybe it provides better mains filtering due to the large toroid?

Andy

avr300 said:
I had the AD8620 as "preferred chip" earlier on, but must admit the 4562 beats it. It has more body, stronger bass, a lovely voice - in short - better music. Everything seems to flow nicely.

I have them, both in the 63 and in my pre (kind of ESP project88 but not quite).

Ahha, well they are certainly nice, just yet to see how nice ;)

ImSparticus said:
Simont Y i guess you have removed the HDAM ? I will try the 4562's with the hdam first for a week or two before i remove it, see what the difference is.

Yes, my HDAM is removed. From the op-amp, there's just a carbon 33ohm resistor and straight to the upgraded output sockets. It's pretty nice sounding.

Simon

I installed a new XO in my Marantz Cd-53 MKII. It worked very well with the power supply recommended by Guido Tent.

When I try to build a better PS with this schematic http://www.acoustica.org.uk/t/naim/35clockreg.html
The CD player refused to work even though the voltage supplied is measured at 5V. ( I use 1/2 of NE5532 instead of AD797)

When I switch back to the Guido Tent's PS it works fine.

Can anyone explain this to me? Is something wrong?

quantran said:
I installed a new XO in my Marantz Cd-53 MKII. It worked very well with the power supply recommended by Guido Tent.

When I try to build a better PS with this schematic http://www.acoustica.org.uk/t/naim/35clockreg.html
The CD player refused to work even though the voltage supplied is measured at 5V. (I use 1/2 of NE5532 instead of AD797)

When I switch back to the Guido Tent's PS it works fine.

Can anyone explain this to me? Is something wrong?

I've got a few Flea's running without any problems. The XO-can should work fine with it. Is the 5V present when the can is connected to the Flea? The thing has only three pins: +5V, GND and output, so not much can go wrong once it has a steady 5V supply.

Regards,

Ray

rowemeister said:
Can't wait to see some internal pics with all those BG.

Thriller and Billy Jean is amazing when played on a good system. You need good speed and timing for billy jean. Thriller is just awsome especially the ending.

Brent

I've put up some new pictures here: www.raylectronics.nl, under SA8400 modifications. I even have an english section :D.

Ray

This is very strange. I have run this XO can with two other PSs without any problem. However it did not work with the Flea. The measured voltage on the XO supply pin when the CPD is turned on (with the Flea) was about 4.9VDC. However the transport did not read any discs.

Some differences between my PSU any the Flea schematic:

- half of a NE5532 is used in stead of an ad797
- I use a 2 V red LED

6h5c said:

I've got a few Flea's running without any problems. The XO-can should work fine with it. Is the 5V present when the can is connected to the Flea? The thing has only three pins: +5V, GND and output, so not much can go wrong once it has a steady 5V supply.

Regards,

Ray

quantran said:
This is very strange. I have run this XO can with two other PSs without any problem. However it did not work with the Flea. The measured voltage on the XO supply pin when the CPD is turned on (with the Flea) was about 4.9VDC. However the transport did not read any discs.

- I use a 2 V red LED

Does the red LED give the same voltage as a green? :rolleyes:
Jaap

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Spindle motor problem

6h5c said:
There's a text only version if you are having problems.

Ray

Hi all,
Received the VAM 12.1 laser unit last week and mounted it an hour ago. Dusty in Memphis (hey, it's sunday) is playing for the second time so the problem is cured. Thanks Ray, Lejos is a good source for parts indeed. Recommended to all.
It might be my imagination or could it be possible a new laser unit gives better results? Music seems to have more 'resolution' than before. Going back for some more m u s i q u e now.
Regards, Jaap

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Spindle motor problem

Oh yeh, forgot to ask:
The minimal instructions that go with the VAM 12.1 mention adjustments to make with regard to tracking and laserpower. Is it wise to have the old scope from the attic to measure amplitudes of sine and square waves from the pick up?

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Spindle motor problem

disco said:
Hi all,
Received the VAM 12.1 laser unit last week and mounted it an hour ago. Dusty in Memphis (hey, it's sunday) is playing for the second time so the problem is cured. Thanks Ray, Lejos is a good source for parts indeed. Recommended to all.
It might be my imagination or could it be possible a new laser unit gives better results? Music seems to have more 'resolution' than before. Going back for some more m u s i q u e now.
Regards, Jaap

Ah, that's good news, one more player back on track :D. Maybe the increased resolution is caused by a stronger HF signal? Less noisy maybe?

disco said:
Oh yeh, forgot to ask:
The minimal instructions that go with the VAM 12.1 mention adjustments to make with regard to tracking and laserpower. Is it wise to have the old scope from the attic to measure amplitudes of sine and square waves from the pick up?

The only adjustable thing is the laser current, with the small pot that's glued on the flex-foil. It's done by measuring the amplitude of the RF signal with the scope, and adjusting it to the value stated in the service manual. I always check it, sometimes the current is a bit high. But the vertical part of your old scope may not be accurate enough to use it for measurements. You can check it with a known DC voltage, and if you use a 10x probe, make sure it's properly adjusted.

Regards,

Ray

quantran said:

- I use a 2 V red LED

Hm, very strange. If you have a scope, take a look at the voltage. You may have an oscillation problem. Your DMM tells you it's 4.9V but there may be a nice HF sinewave present on top of that voltage. The 5532 shouldn't be a problem. It might be a good idea to ground the inputs of the other half that's not used. If you didn't adjust the voltage divider, a red LED may generate a voltage that's a bit on the low side.

This is also an interesting point:

When I replaced all Philips MKT caps in the digital section with good quality MKP of the same value, the CDP didn't work. I had to restore the original orange philips MKT caps then it work fine.

Which caps did you replace, you mean the analog filter caps around the opamps? They should not influence the operation of the player, only the sound. Maybe those caps were not the cause and another problem is present. It could be the flexcables.

Ray

Thanks Ray,

6h5c said:

Hm, very strange. If you have a scope, take a look at the voltage. You may have an oscillation problem. Your DMM tells you it's 4.9V but there may be a nice HF sinewave present on top of that voltage. The 5532 shouldn't be a problem. It might be a good idea to ground the inputs of the other half that's not used. If you didn't adjust the voltage divider, a red LED may generate a voltage that's a bit on the low side.
Ray

Unfortunately, I don't have a scope. May be I will ask my friend to check it for me.

6h5c said:

Which caps did you replace, you mean the analog filter caps around the opamps? They should not influence the operation of the player, only the sound. Maybe those caps were not the cause and another problem is present. It could be the flexcables.
Ray

These are the orange 0.1uF and 0.047uF capacitors in the digital / transport control section. I replaced them with RIFA PHE426 series (same value) and the player didn't work with these RIFAs.

Anyway I realy like this player. I also moded the analog section with WIMA FKP caps, all 1% metal film resistors and Nichicon Muse PS caps.

I replaced all electrolytics in the digital section with ENLA RJH series --> good results.

Now I only use it as a transport. It's very nice that the laser unit can be replace easily for ten bucks.