Marantz CD63 & CD67 mods list

Joined 2006
Paid Member
Some residual hiss is normal, just like Ben says. This is a high-frequency left-over from the filter. But the sound you describe looks more like transformer induced rattling, caused by the magnetic field or charging spikes from the bridge rectifier. Moving the transformer away from the analog section will probably fix it.

Ray

Thank you Ray

Next move will be moving the several TX away from the output DOS.... External psu case probably.... nice

Joined 2006
Paid Member
Returning from the City with some nice feelings about it I got time to record the noise and also took some pics.

The "linear" graph is "home noise" with system speakers muted, the one with the bump between 5 and 10k is was recorded with the mic near the tweeter with the system full on without music.

Attachments

• No signal.png
    No signal.png
    138.7 KB · Views: 238
  • Noise.png
    Noise.png
    94.1 KB · Views: 231
Joined 2006
Paid Member
in this case it is not normal because it is much stronger on the right channel (the one we are studying).

The noise can not be heard when playing "normal" music but it is clearly audible when playing Eric Satie on quiet passages at loud volume.

Anyway, I do not think it is hum.... and being only on one channel lets me believe it is magnetically induced.

PS: Using headphones (with my new headphone amp) it is quite intrusive.

I will post some pictures of the inside of the player so you can analyse it and maybe suggest the best way to correct this issue.

Joined 2006
Paid Member
Well, today I opened the machine, took out the rectifier board used for dac analog and digital that sits closer to the dos and powered it up... no change....

I did profit to solder some 47n styros over the output caps and sound is now much better... next time I will try moving the clock tx away from the dac and see....