Marantz CD63 & CD67 mods list

Administrator
Joined 2007
Paid Member
Adding SMD caps like that (say 10 or 100nf) is something I have done in the past. Benefits... I hate to say it but its probably more of a "it has to better" kind of scenario.

With anything like this you need to know your enemy... and that really means scoping and seeing if a problem exists. The problem with any reg is that no matter how clean and perfect the supply is at the pins, go a few cm down the print and that super stable voltage is being modulated by all the goings on of the processors. Its at the destination where the supply should be as clean as possible.

Adding SMD caps like that (say 10 or 100nf) is something I have done in the past. Benefits... I hate to say it but its probably more of a "it has to better" kind of scenario.

With anything like this you need to know your enemy... and that really means scoping and seeing if a problem exists. The problem with any reg is that no matter how clean and perfect the supply is at the pins, go a few cm down the print and that super stable voltage is being modulated by all the goings on of the processors. Its at the destination where the supply should be as clean as possible.

So straight on the chip pins then :)
Thanks

vam 1202

It would need to much fettling, yes :)

One word of caution while we are on about pickups... the worm gear and main gear are not always interchangeable between pickups of ostensibly the same appearance. I'm thinking specifically of the CDM12.1 and 12.4 here that use the white and blue gear sets respectively. Fit a 12.1 gear set to 12.4 pickup and the sled will just keep whizzing from end to end as it tries to read the TOC. I suspect the backlash rather than ratios are different.

Brent used a vam 1250 im sure in his last incarnation of his cd63,As for regs lower the noise @ the supply pin the better the sq.;)

alan:drink:

I fitted 3x lm317 based ray regs @ the dac and the sq raised by a noticible amount, Checked this out on a scope easy to see why.;)

Last edited:
CPC were pretty efficient at getting me the part, turned up today after ordering yesterday with standard delivery. The box claimed it was "Made in Japan". Unfortunately one of the notches that holds the shock mounts in place was damaged and half of the notch fell off. Still, I thought I may as well try it as everything else looked good and it would probably stay put with three of the mounts.

Unfortunately there seemed to be something wrong with my hands when soldering, so it took me longer to do this bit. The solder wouldn't melt, wires wouldn't stay put. I melted some bits of plastic but nothing critical...

This unit worked immediately once I'd put it in. I didn't have to fiddle with anything and I put some grease on it before starting. Maybe that helped. Also swapped the cone as I know it works with the clamp magnet. Initially I'd pressed it on too far and the spindle motor got stuck. No radial errors. Hurrah.

Clearly I should have sent the original unit back, but I was impatient. At least I learned how the thing fits together despite the wasted time.

I'm hoping no skipping. I may have to try and fix the shock mount thing but the fact that the CD is clamped in to the unit probably means I can get away with it the way it is.