Marantz CD63 & CD67 mods list

I have set up a separate box and mounted 3 toroidals so far:
1 to power the servo
1 to power the servo clock and the dac clock (2 secondaries)
1 to power the output stage.

I have space for 1 more toroidal. Will it make a bigger (SQ) difference to power the dac (analogue and digital from 2 secondaries) or the decoder?

Thanks in anticipation from those in the know.

What do you guys think of not having earths on the mains supply to a CD63 Ki? They do have a lot of metal. I know if you have an earth thats a point of dirty signal contamination, but I'm thinking of putting an IEC connector on, and using Belden shielded cable, sheath terminated at the plug end to sweep spurious signals away. The other obvious thing is electrical safety. Any thoughts?

What do you guys think of not having earths on the mains supply to a CD63 Ki? They do have a lot of metal. I know if you have an earth thats a point of dirty signal contamination, but I'm thinking of putting an IEC connector on, and using Belden shielded cable, sheath terminated at the plug end to sweep spurious signals away. The other obvious thing is electrical safety. Any thoughts?

I normally do not fit an earthing wire to the casing as it might create an earth loop and caused 50Hz noise in the RCA output. Just have a go and if you cannot hear any noise there is no harm to fit an earth to the casing, otherwise just leave it out.

clocks

Ben, thanks for this. Have you done both? I'm wondering whether it makes an appreciable difference. (I'm going to do it anyway! :))

As you suggest, I'll do DAC first.

As ian (uv101) said in an earlier post you may have a timing issue, ive done it with one clock dual output .ie dac /servo.:cool:
regards alan,
clocking dac/servo is a major step forward good clock and a fresh psu a must.

Last edited:
As ian (uv101) said in an earlier post you may have a timing issue, ive done it with one clock dual output .ie dac /servo.:cool:
regards alan,
clocking dac/servo is a major step forward good clock and a fresh psu a must.

Hi Alan,
I agree with you, but I think you may have misunderstood here. I have already re-clocked the servo and the DAC (each with own toroidal). We're talking here about separate power supplies for the DAC (analogue and digital sections). :)

Hi Lymmlad,

Yes, I've currently got 4 separate secondaries powering my DAC and two (one each) for servo and servo control. Almost every power pin has its own reg and 470uF Black Gate (FK/NX for analogue/digital respectively). The only exceptions are the DAC analogue pins, which are paired together and can't easily be given the same treatment. Oh yeah, and I have 22,000uF Mundorf smoothers pre-reg on each of those. I'll be adding more soon to further isolate the decoder and servo control supplies.

Last edited:
Ray and other flea owners, do you think it is advisable to substitute resistors that set the flea output voltage with values I have at hand, green led would have to be replaced with red one in that case.

Math looks good:

((1K/470)+1) x 1.6=5.00

Thanks

Marko

Yes, that will work. Basically, you are changing the reference voltage for the opamp, but if you calculate new values for the divider resistors that's fine.

You need to raise the Flea's input voltage though, because the output of the 7812 will go up. I'd say 20VDC in will be fine.

Last edited:
UV101: I have seen pics on here showing that you have cut out the bottom section of your player under the pcb in order to gain easier access. I plan also to do this. I have just spent about half-an-hour hunting one of your pics on here but to no avail.

Could you please post another pic or give me a link to one? I would like to see how big a section you have cut out and where you have made the cuts.

This would be very helpful. Thanks in anticipation.

UV101: I have seen pics on here showing that you have cut out the bottom section of your player under the pcb in order to gain easier access. I plan also to do this. I have just spent about half-an-hour hunting one of your pics on here but to no avail.

Could you please post another pic or give me a link to one? I would like to see how big a section you have cut out and where you have made the cuts.

This would be very helpful. Thanks in anticipation.
Do you mean something other than the standard access panel? I haven't done it on mine, but I understand there's a specific section stamped out of the base that's designed to be easily removed with snips and (I believe) flips round 180 degrees and can then be screwed back on.
Not sure which parts of the board specifically it gives access to, but it's only a section of it.
I might give that a go on mine actually. I'm fed up with removing extra power supplies and such to do a simple job on the underneath.