Marantz CD63 & CD67 mods list

rowemeister said:
FTAO RAY

Opamp decoupling, whats the best way to do this?

I was thinking of the 10uF BG cap across +/- pin 4 and 8 and also the smt 220nF.
And then pin 4 to gnd via BG NX 470nF bipolar and the same on pin 8.
I will have to run wire from star earth to these caps.

Brent

I meant to say..

10uF BG from + and - to gnd and the BG NX (bi polar) 470nF across +/- rails. I also have the very large 220nF PPS.

Brent

Hi Brent,

Been out for a while....
Looks like a good idea. I'm not sure if BG's will benefit from additional bypassing though, especially the N/NX.

Regards,

Ray.

flyboi said:
Hi guys!

Wonder where to get the marantz cd67 service manual. I have the cd63 manual already. Appreciate a pointers. Thanks!

Cheers!

If anyone is in need of the CD67 manual, just drop me an e-mail and I will send it to you.

BTW, I noticed a lot of smoke hangin' around here when I opened this thread tonight. What's goin' on? :clown:

Regards,

Ray.

Evening folks,

Lot's of dutchman overhere, must be a good place :magnet:

Thanks to all the dudes for cool mods and helpfull insights. Enjoyed the tread so far (took three days reading) because of the harmony and (international) cooperation. :worship:

Guess what? Here's another CD63 Signature open for a change. Modded the easy ones and got encouraged by the progress in
sound reproduction. My goal is to go all the way but for the last opamp. Nothing beats the good ol' Direct Heated Triode,
according to my ears. :violin:

Got Ray's plan for the tube differential output based on the ECC82, and i'll investigate if the 1G4 can be substituted instead. It won't be a small setup though, so probably not desireable for most. :tons:

Regards, Jaap

adfinni said:
Very nice disco, but is that a giant smartie i see on top of the transport on the cd spindle ;)

Well, I tried this after some skipping problems earlier this week. In fact it's a magnet for a whiteboard. No good to have magnetisme around the coils, but it doesn't seem to harm :rolleyes:

The skipping was cable related and could be solved by cleaning the contacts with a little alcohol. While at it I replaced C106 (10uF/25V).
Going strong now for >25 CD's :D:

disco said:

Well, I tried this after some skipping problems earlier this week. In fact it's a magnet for a whiteboard. No good to have magnetisme around the coils, but it doesn't seem to harm :rolleyes:

The skipping was cable related and could be solved by cleaning the contacts with a little alcohol. While at it I replaced C106 (10uF/25V).
Going strong now for >25 CD's :D:

whats the torroid for?

allan

ps smartie looks good

The torroid has four 5V windings and two 7V windings. Spend a day winding .8mm copper :cannotbe:

A nice source for NOS tubes, capacitors, small coils etc is Arp Electronics
It's a small family run company and they take Paypal. They have an Ebay shop as well.

Attachments

• ht-psu_1.jpg
    ht-psu_1.jpg
    45 KB · Views: 381
RE. Ultranalog SACD enhancer

Hi.

Ray,

Have you played around with this circuit, at all ?

I was thinking in particular of the following :-

Replacing the output pair with a darlington transistor eg. 2N6426

Replacing the CCS pair with a CCS diode or FET

Basically to reduce the component count.

Andy

cd63se please help

I got a MARANTZ CD63se from the car boot sale last week for a tenner!
The back analogue output sockets were dented in and the machine had some scratches hence the price. Upon opening I found the PCB seemed physically ok. I salvaged an identical RCA socket assembly from an old CD player which I duly soldered into place…the result was no sound from the left socket. Visually it all seems okay so I assume that at sometime some invisible damage has been done. I hooked the player up to an amp and using a probe attached to the + of the left socket I prodded some areas of the PCB near the socket hoping for a signal, sadly not a peep on the LH channel but the RH sounds fine.

However the front headphone output works fine so using an adaptor I fed my amp from the headphone socket but it sounded too loud & distorted.
I was thinking of wiring up the 3 point (R,G,L) headphone output to the rear RCA phono sockets via a series resistor. So I would like to ask; have I overlooked something or would this be a good solution? It’s too good to throw in the bin.

Any feedback would be greatly appreciated
Cheers J

Attachments

• marantz.jpg
    marantz.jpg
    30.1 KB · Views: 363
Re: cd63se please help

Eggzy said:
I was thinking of wiring up the 3 point (R,G,L) headphone output to the rear RCA phono sockets via a series resistor. So I would like to ask; have I overlooked something or would this be a good solution? It’s too good to throw in the bin.

Hi Eggzy,

Great bargain!

Try taking the audio from R617/R618: it's where some of us take the output from to bypass the circuitry that follows :) Use a ~100R series resistor.

The headphone socket sounded terrible with my headphones!!

Regards,
Simon

Re: cd63se please help

Eggzy said:
I got a MARANTZ CD63se from the car boot sale last week for a tenner!
The back analogue output sockets were dented in and the machine had some scratches hence the price.

Any feedback would be greatly appreciated
Cheers J

You know why they let it go for £10 don't you. :rolleyes:

Work backwards from the RCA output...

What was the damage on the RCA ? (was the pcb damaged, etc ?)

Hi Eggzy,

Before I touched my box, perhaps a couple of years ago, one of the outputs was badly distorted, Turned out it was a broken muting transistor. Its best to get those out of the signal path anyway, so Simon's suggestion is a good one. But you may need to upgrade the opamps if you want to remove the HDAM. Another option is to just try removing the muting transistors first. Its an easy one to do.

Cheers,
Phil