Marantz CD63 & CD67 mods list

cap choice

Not tried those fr's so I've not idea how they sound. Specs look interesting. I'd be using tsup 6800uF smoothers on the audio rails and 22,000uF on the +/-10v rails (v important) also no panasonics after the regs. You've taken warm sounding audio focussed silmics out of the post reg position and replaced with these fr's which are an unknown. The whole thing about the KI is its toroid transformer and then cap choice over the std model.

Rule of thumb, in the absence of Mundorf and black gate, use large Panasonic tsup smoothers that you need to mount on short leads to fit before the regs (and on the -10v). Use rubycon 470uf post reg +/-12v and a zl after the 5v reg. use 470uF zlg for all analogue local decoupling and use solid polymer for digital decoupling.

Caps influence the psu rails and the psu rails are what you hear!!! Crap rails, crap sound!!

On a different subject, I noticed Brent has changed the order on his mod packages and replaces the transformer in the level 1 now. I've got a couple of 63se's std. I'm going to change just the transformers in 1 and compare ;)
Nice one ian oscons in short supply ive used nichicon ls great value from rs @ the mo like the tsups too.:D

Hooray, with a capital Ray!

I'm on 3 separate decoder supplies with no apparent issues. I've been running that way for months. I tried combining them this afternoon as a test and it seemed to make no difference. The supplies are pretty much identical.

I've been having some start-up issues, but I think I've tracked them down to a bad servo clock connection. I have some very broken trace around that area, unfortunately. I've recently had an issue where the sled would sometimes go crazy on a cold start but would be OK if I turned off and on again. I got the board out today and found the servo clock was loose and it seems OK now.

I'm thinking about doing a couple more Fleas for at least DAC analogue supplies.

Last edited:
I did a bit of experimenting recently with my transformers. I went back to the stock KI Tx as a test and was blown away by how much of a step backwards it was. It was unlistenable; just too harsh on the treble. I'd say definitely get yourself a big 50+ VA servo PSU. I currently have the original KI transformer just for my display, so there's loads of room.

I did a bit of experimenting recently with my transformers. I went back to the stock KI Tx as a test and was blown away by how much of a step backwards it was. It was unlistenable; just too harsh on the treble. I'd say definitely get yourself a big 50+ VA servo PSU. I currently have the original KI transformer just for my display, so there's loads of room.

Ben, do you mount the bigger transformer within the case or externally and if externally how do you do this? Thanks in advance.

Servo PSU

There's definitely some room for individual experimentation with regard to PSU placement, but I find that a 50VA 12V Nuvotem fits in quite nicely behind the CD tray. Wire the secondaries to U308 & U310 and centre tap / both grounds to U309. Tape the original servo secondaries up securely with electrical tape to make sure they don't touch anything or each other.

See this post by Ian for suggestions on how to go further.

Brent also has a good summary of upgrading the servo section on his site here

Ben

Last edited:
I always read that as they should all come via one mains lead.:)
Sounds spot on to me!!!!!!

A bit off topic, but I treated myself!!!!

Its got 680va transformer, 160,000uF smoothers in the power amp psu and 80,000uF in the preamp. Runs 80+80W full class A fully balanced if you have a balanced source, has a stepped attenuator volume control that runs via 24 relays switching the resistors in and out! I weighs just under 30kgs and best of all its got massive proper analogue VU meters that are lit blue!!! :eek:
How does it sound?........er like nothing I've heard previously! I'm actually quite speechless which for me is quite unusual!!!!;):D

:worship: :worship: :worship: :worship: :worship: :worship: :worship:

IMG_6880.jpg

b9791f0f.jpg

Couldnt resist having a look!!!!!

cfef7b07.jpg

Last edited: