Marantz CD63 & CD67 mods list

I've been watching/viewing this thread in awe of many of you on here for some months now... whilst salivating at the prospect of modifying my own Marantz CD63 M'k 2 KIS. It has given me many years' enjoyment; but I appreciate its potential for musical enjoyment is far greater than what it has been producing so far. Plus it sounds a fun thing to do!

Unfortunately I don't have much technical or electrical engineering knowledge and wondered whether anyone else (with more knowledge than me!) was considering embarking on tweaking their CD63. If so, could I hook up with that person(s) and we do this simultaneously and suffer solder burns together? I live in the north west of the UK and it would help if the other(s) were nearby.

I recently went through a similar modifying process with my turntable/arm/cartridge (and other elements of my system) and the musical results are vastly better. Fortunately I had a hi-fi wizard to help and guide me (and I learnt a vast amount in the process); but my guru has no enthusiasm for CDPs.

You could consider me an enthusiastic amateur who is willing to learn. Any takers?

re mods

I've been watching/viewing this thread in awe of many of you on here for some months now... whilst salivating at the prospect of modifying my own Marantz CD63 M'k 2 KIS. It has given me many years' enjoyment; but I appreciate its potential for musical enjoyment is far greater than what it has been producing so far. Plus it sounds a fun thing to do!

Unfortunately I don't have much technical or electrical engineering knowledge and wondered whether anyone else (with more knowledge than me!) was considering embarking on tweaking their CD63. If so, could I hook up with that person(s) and we do this simultaneously and suffer solder burns together? I live in the north west of the UK and it would help if the other(s) were nearby.

I recently went through a similar modifying process with my turntable/arm/cartridge (and other elements of my system) and the musical results are vastly better. Fortunately I had a hi-fi wizard to help and guide me (and I learnt a vast amount in the process); but my guru has no enthusiasm for CDPs.

You could consider me an enthusiastic amateur who is willing to learn. Any takers?

G0 to page 1 [rays mods] as a starter any questions just ask forsure someone will give you guidance.
;)

I checked out ray's mods list but they are just numbers to me! I wouldn't know where to start with this. I will need some close guidance otherwise I may do some damage... I'm an amateur, remember.

I may need to wait and hopefully someone will come along who knows considerably more than me and we can do this together. I will willingly pay more than my share for parts in recognition of the other's knowledge.

I checked out ray's mods list but they are just numbers to me! I wouldn't know where to start with this. I will need some close guidance otherwise I may do some damage... I'm an amateur, remember.

I may need to wait and hopefully someone will come along who knows considerably more than me and we can do this together. I will willingly pay more than my share for parts in recognition of the other's knowledge.

If you want the satisfaction that modding can bring, you have to get that "brown trouser" moment:eek: or you will not get anywhere.

Get yourself a beaten up CD63 or something (I picked one up recently for£20) start by replacing some of the power supply caps and test each modification before moving onto the next. Then move on to say, replacing the op-amps. Invest in a desoldering iron from Maplin (other stores are available) they are an invaluable tool.

Rob.

laser

I thought the understanding was that the new ones aren't worth much.

I do have an original 63 parts unit, but I figured the laser is bad in that one too. It plays fine for a while, and then makes little skips.

clean the laser gears and shaft if its got a lot of brown dried up grease thats the problem LOL @ puffin done that one many times .

have fun alan;)

OK guys, I'll give this a go... deep breath and all that. Thanks in advance for all my stupid questions.

So I'll need a solder sucker and a digital multimeter.. I'll get on the case, Ben. (Incidentally I lived in Canada for 6 years as a kid... great place... but I digress.)

Looking at Ray's mods list and starting with the power supply, would you recommend that I replace all the parts listed? See here:

Power supply:
Part:
C801/802
C803/804
C805/806
C813
C814
C815
D801...804
D811...814
Q801/802
Q811

Ray mentions Farnell – is that the best place to buy them all? And why is there no part number at Farnell's for:
D801...804
D811...814
Q801/802

Incidentally, now some of you guys have been modding for several years, what does your super-duper KI Sig sound like compared to a bog-standard model?

re mods

OK guys, I'll give this a go... deep breath and all that. Thanks in advance for all my stupid questions.

So I'll need a solder sucker and a digital multimeter.. I'll get on the case, Ben. (Incidentally I lived in Canada for 6 years as a kid... great place... but I digress.)

Looking at Ray's mods list and starting with the power supply, would you recommend that I replace all the parts listed? See here:

Power supply:
Part:
C801/802
C803/804
C805/806
C813
C814
C815
D801...804
D811...814
Q801/802
Q811

Ray mentions Farnell – is that the best place to buy them all? And why is there no part number at Farnell's for:
D801...804
D811...814
Q801/802

Incidentally, now some of you guys have been modding for several years, what does your super-duper KI Sig sound like compared to a bog-standard model?

Hi,
start simple have a go at fitting a pair of op amps get a pair of dil sockets a few pence each good quality turned one s then you can change op amps to your choice. many of us favour lm4562 national semiconductor some like burr browns its your taste. Ebay will be your best mate lol , a pair of opamps and sockets will cost no more than a tenner then have a listen.
cheers alan;)

Last edited:

The differences between the models are insignificant when you start modding. The only thing worth having from the KI model is the transformer and even that can be bettered very easily.

My advise - buy a basic 63 or an SE on ebay... you'll lift pads and tracks whilst learning and I wouldn't want to be doing that on a KI. I no longer own a KI, on SE's because people will pay silly money for them.

Sell the KI for £160 on ebay and buy an SE for £60 then the balance on parts!......if you can live without the badge!!!

Also, be careful what you buy on eBay component wise...often all is not what it seems...I regularly use both Farnell and RS

Last edited:
NO, NO, don't buy a solder sucker, buy a de-soldering iron. I struggled with an iron and a separate sucker for years (yes, I am mean) I got one last year and wish I had had one years ago. £9.99 from Craplin. You will not regret it. When I desoldered the parts from my 63 e.g op-amps, they just fall out once you have de-soldered all the legs. Doing it with an iron and solder pump......f*cking nightmare (IMO of course)

Also, be careful what you buy on eBay component wise...often all is not what it seems...

Yeah, I got a fake LM4562HA off eBay. Watch out.

Incidentally I lived in Canada for 6 years as a kid... great place... but I digress.)

Yeah, I've been here for just over 5 years now and I'm very happy here. I'm from the UK West Midlands originally.

I've been too happy with the sound of my system to have the urge to tweak for a while. I took some my my favourite CDs to a local dealer on the w/e and auditioned an ultra high-end setup there. There were some impressive aspects to the sound, but it wasn't as enjoyable overall. I can't put my finger on exactly why, and I suppose it doesn't matter.

I still need to fix my display and that mains hum. I tried to order a new Tx, but RS aren't responding to my e-mails for some reason.