Marantz CD63 & CD67 mods list - Page 890 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Source & Line > Digital Source

Digital Source Digital Players and Recorders: CD , SACD , Tape, Memory Card, etc.

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 15th January 2008, 10:44 AM   #8891
Glenn2 is offline Glenn2  United Kingdom
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally posted by martin clark
The only only other example I'm aware of is the SLim Devices transporter, which has ALWSR topology built-in a couple of places.
...to feed NE5534 op-amps...

..and it got a quite a few luke-warm reviews.
Old 15th January 2008, 11:14 AM   #8892
diyAudio Member

It really makes me laugh what opamps are fitted in expensive or higher than normal products.

Brent
Old 15th January 2008, 11:29 AM   #8893
SimontY is offline SimontY  United Kingdom
diyAudio Member

Send a message via MSN to SimontY
Quote:
Originally posted by rowemeister
It really makes me laugh what opamps are fitted in expensive or higher than normal products.

Brent
Yes, and as we've seen a valve output stage seems like a license to double the asking price. It's all about perceived value and how that perception changes our awareness of the sound being produced.

We know that reclocking the DAC and servo is a much more fundamental change in our players but it's not quite as sexy as two glowing rods of high voltage hype, therefore not as marketable.

Re. power supplies, I suppose the manufacturers reach excellence in power supplies by good isolation and overrating transformers (top end Naim especially), but is there aaaany gear that has ultra-low noise power? What about Musical Fidelity and their chokes??? Martin???

Simon
Old 15th January 2008, 02:15 PM   #8894
Thomo is offline Thomo  United Kingdom
diyAudio Member

Quote:

Brent

Me too. I read a rave review on a new 1000 dac in HFW the other day, it has four crappy opamps and apparently it's awesome, better than a 1500 player! But not as good as the writers cd63KI-DP. Made me laugh.

I agree with Simon, it reall is strange what can alter your perception (like having a copper plated cd player named after you).

btw - Just moved the mains supply from the electric cooker socket in the kitchen, to the living room. 6mm mains cable and 2.5mm earth, straight from the fuse box! Sound much nicer now it's more isolated from the rest of the house.

Lee.
Old 15th January 2008, 02:23 PM   #8895
diyAudio Member

LOL so it's just microwave meals now then.

All you need now is a really good filter

Brent
Old 15th January 2008, 04:17 PM   #8896
Thomo is offline Thomo  United Kingdom
diyAudio Member

Yup, Microwave meals

Anyone have any designs/ideas for a mains filter? Maybe a new thread is needed, can't be going off-topic can we, lol.

Lee.
Old 15th January 2008, 04:22 PM   #8897
SimontY is offline SimontY  United Kingdom
diyAudio Member

Send a message via MSN to SimontY
Quote:
Originally posted by Thomo
Yup, Microwave meals

Anyone have any designs/ideas for a mains filter? Maybe a new thread is needed, can't be going off-topic can we, lol.

Lee.
Yes, let's not get toooo off-topic, but I'd like to share this idea:

Put one or two ~10uF 250VAC lighting capacitors across live - neutral. You could also throw some Y-rated caps across L-N and L-E.

Then you'll want some transient diodes across L-N to clear up the spikes. Much, much better/faster than the common varistors/MOVs.

You'll hear a warmer, more spacious sound with deeper bass.

Simon

ps - disregard any ideas you might see about putting things in series with the mains, unless you can cheaply find and are prepared to live with large isolation transformers, or want to build a "balanced" mains supply such as Ray did.
Old 15th January 2008, 06:28 PM   #8898
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Thomo
Yup, Microwave meals

Lee.
There are ways and means of builing a mains filter. Ours are all passive and do not add inductance. Always add a resistor across LN to discharge the caps.

Brent
Old 15th January 2008, 06:32 PM   #8899
Glenn2 is offline Glenn2  United Kingdom
diyAudio Member

Quote:

There are ways and means of builing a mains filter. Ours are all passive and do not add inductance. Always add a resistor across LN to discharge the caps.

Brent

I wonder if that's why when I populated the empty common-mode choke spot on the CD-67SE PCB, the sound immediately sucked. So I took it out again and normality was restored.
Old 15th January 2008, 06:46 PM   #8900
RCruz is offline RCruz  Switzerland
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Glenn2

I wonder if that's why when I populated the empty common-mode choke spot on the CD-67SE PCB, the sound immediately sucked. So I took it out again and normality was restored.
I had a similar experience when tried to feed my system with a computer UPS.

The sound is dead.

Ricardo

Hide this!Advertise here!