Marantz CD63 & CD67 mods list - Page 884 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Source & Line > Digital Source

Digital Source Digital Players and Recorders: CD , SACD , Tape, Memory Card, etc.

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 13th January 2008, 07:58 AM   #8831
Thomo is offline Thomo  United Kingdom
diyAudio Member

Hi Jim. These are my opinions and experiences:

Defo add 220nF bypass caps under the opamps, between pins 4 & 8, I have never failed to hear an improvement doing this.

Black Gate 220uF 16v or better still 470uF 16v are the finest choice for the main opamp caps.

Rubycon ZA have the best ripple rejection and are the best caps available for digital rails, giving the best tonal detail and natural sound. Also good on analog rails. ZL's are pretty good too.

Don't bypass the really good quality elco's like BG's or ZA's/ZL's. But PPS are fantastic at bypassing lesser caps, especially in sensitive areas like the dac and opamps.

Lee.
Old 13th January 2008, 08:55 AM   #8832
6h5c is offline 6h5c  Netherlands
One Seriously Addicted to Audio and Electronics
diyAudio Member

Thanks Jim, and all the best to you too in this year, and for everyone else of course. Already forgot it was newyear , it's been only two weeks... I'm quite absorbed by the new ezDAC i'm building, but i'm lurking at the sideline. Wouldn't want to miss anything that's going on here .

Lee's answer covers most of it, I'd say. A good cap doesn't need bypassing, so I'd leave it out on BG's around the opamps for example.

The caps just after the diode rectifier in a PSU are in a less sensitive area, so I use cheaper X7Rs there to bypass. Around the DAC and decoder ICs I use 100n PPS instead of the cheap 100n ceramics that are often placed across the power pins.

Maybe if you had a really good cap you could also leave them out in the digital section, but at such high frequencies, I always try to place a really good SMD cap as close to the power pins as I can get. The induction of the wires and construction of an electrolytic are a limiting factor to their highest working frequency.

Regards,

Ray
Old 13th January 2008, 09:04 AM   #8833
Thomo is offline Thomo  United Kingdom
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally posted by 6h5c
Hi Jim,

Maybe if you had a really good cap you could also leave them out in the digital section, but at such high frequencies, I always try to place a really good SMD cap as close to the power pins as I can get. The induction of the wires and construction of an electrolytic are a limiting factor to their highest working frequency.

Regards,

Ray

I used to have smd x7r's directly on the pins of the dac. I removed them when the BG's went in and things improved a lot, but that could just have been the analog rails. I reckon I'll stick 100n PPS on the digital supply pins and see if there's an improvement. Cheers Ray.

Lee.
Old 13th January 2008, 10:38 AM   #8834
diyAudio Member

Thanks for the answers guys.

If I wanted to use the RJH's on the opamps would the 470u/63v be slower sounding at all instead of the 16 or 25v versions?

If so I'll probably use the ZL's for now and put BG's in later.

I've been concentrating on adding LM317 Rayregs and it's given me good gains, so I'm going to adapt them into SuperRayregs.

Thanks for the answers guys, and Thomo I did the smd caps on the DAC pins (lifted a couple of legs in the process!!). I guess I'll leave well alone in future and concentrate on cleaner supplies through the regs etc.

Jim
Old 13th January 2008, 10:47 AM   #8835
diyAudio Member

Default Brent - got a C1 for Xmas!!

Hi Brent,

Glad to see you active on here again.

My wife, bless her, surprised me with a C1 master clock for Christmas
(and there was I thinking she was fed up of me spending hours hunched over the dead remains of my original KI and the laptop wading through this thread and PFM until the wee small hours!!)

My question is this. Among my Rayregs I also have an Audiocom superreg (the 17 eBay ones similar size to the clock PCB.)

Iwas thinking of connecting it directly on to the clock pcb near the top.

Should I do this to keep the traces as short as possible?

Also I am going to put in the divide by 2 circuit to reclock the servo, so should the divider have its own reg, or would the same supply be OK?

I don't want to cause any grounding issues.

Cheers
Jim
Old 13th January 2008, 10:50 AM   #8836
SimontY is offline SimontY  United Kingdom
diyAudio Member

Send a message via MSN to SimontY
Quote:
Originally posted by jimh0612
If I wanted to use the RJH's on the opamps would the 470u/63v be slower sounding at all instead of the 16 or 25v versions?
Hi Jim,

I can't think why that would be the case. The 63V versions may have a lower ESR, which is a good thing. There may be some argument for not using caps so overrated, but I really don't think you should spend a moment longer thinking about it.

Simon
Old 13th January 2008, 10:55 AM   #8837
diyAudio Member

Quote:
There may be some argument for not using caps so overrated
Perhaps this - increased voltage rating = increase physical size = increased inductance
Old 13th January 2008, 10:59 AM   #8838
diyAudio Member

Default Re: Brent - got a C1 for Xmas!!

Quote:
Originally posted by jimh0612
My question is this. Among my Rayregs I also have an Audiocom superreg (the 17 eBay ones similar size to the clock PCB.)

Iwas thinking of connecting it directly on to the clock pcb near the top.

Should I do this to keep the traces as short as possible?
You mean like this? Yes, do it!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg c1.jpg (95.7 KB, 228 views)
Old 13th January 2008, 11:02 AM   #8839
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally posted by JonHarrison
Perhaps this - increased voltage rating = increase physical size = increased inductance
Ok. Jim, try to get a technical datasheet for the capacitors and look for two figures: ESR and ESL. Effective Series Resistance and Effective Series Inductance. These largely determine the perceived sound quality. Lower = better.
Old 13th January 2008, 11:09 AM   #8840
6h5c is offline 6h5c  Netherlands
One Seriously Addicted to Audio and Electronics
diyAudio Member

Default Re: Re: Brent - got a C1 for Xmas!!

Quote:
Originally posted by SimontY
You mean like this? Yes, do it!
I'm glad that's not my player...

Hide this!Advertise here!