Marantz CD63 & CD67 mods list

Ok. I stopped posting (again) as I thought people were getting bored of my new dos exploits. Anyway after all the previously mentioned tweaks I though i should post The overall sound (compared to my STD dos) as improved. Top end treble is no better. Some midrange clarity has improved and the bass as deepend that bit more. Remember for me this is all based on 26 spower low noise regs + all the psu supplying them

Brent

Last edited:
Hi guys, started to play some music from my 63 marantz tonite. A weird problem occuring
there is a scratching noise when playing the cd then all the sudden high level of static noise. Check dc offset and getting 2.72V. The problem can be correct by skipping to next track but then it will recur again. Can you guys tell me where should i looking at ?
The last mod i did was to fit some Ray-gulators but also lifting the pad near the 12 volts track. Could that be the problem?

Ok. I stopped posting (again) as I thought people were getting bored of my new dos exploits.

Not at all! It's quite interesting to read your findings. I guess you have tweaked it in every way possible now :D. Good to hear it's an improvement.

I just replaced the Obbligato output caps of my DOS by the 'old' 100uF Black Gate N-type caps I had in there earlier. Not that the Obbligato's were awfully bad or anything, but I like the more pronounced top-end of the Black Gates more. The Obbligato's are a bit smoother and the BG's give the sound more 'bite' so to speak.

Regards,

Ray

Hi guys, started to play some music from my 63 marantz tonite. A weird problem occuring
there is a scratching noise when playing the cd then all the sudden high level of static noise. Check dc offset and getting 2.72V. The problem can be correct by skipping to next track but then it will recur again. Can you guys tell me where should i looking at ?
The last mod i did was to fit some Ray-gulators but also lifting the pad near the 12 volts track. Could that be the problem?

Hi Quan, that's a weird problem. The static and scratching makes me think it's a digital problem, but the high offset suggests it's a fault in the analog section. You should check the DC voltage levels in the schematic around the opamps. Does it occur in both channels? If so, that would also suggest digital problems, maybe one of the DAC voltages is not well connected?

Ray

I just noticed that I have a scratch on the outer edge of most of my CDs and I think my CD53 is to blame. I have no playback problems on the CD53 but when I rip with iTunes the last track is usually distorted and with EAC I get errors on the last tracks (fortunately the second time I try, I have no errors).

But still...What's going on???

Thanks, particularly to bikeral10, for the advice on my Marantz CD63. 99p in Maplins on a new Q811 has turned a piece of scrap into a working CD player.

As far as I can work out, Q811 supplies the 5V power to the microchip which runs the whole player. So when this was blown, no lights on, no nothing. But it seems nothing else was wrong (why did it blow in the first place - maybe it will blow again - who knows).

Respect!

Thanks, particularly to bikeral10, for the advice on my Marantz CD63. 99p in Maplins on a new Q811 has turned a piece of scrap into a working CD player.

As far as I can work out, Q811 supplies the 5V power to the microchip which runs the whole player. So when this was blown, no lights on, no nothing. But it seems nothing else was wrong (why did it blow in the first place - maybe it will blow again - who knows).

Respect!
Glad it worked for you,
after 15yrs thing pack up so see how it goes.
cheers alan ;)

Hi Quan, that's a weird problem. The static and scratching makes me think it's a digital problem, but the high offset suggests it's a fault in the analog section. You should check the DC voltage levels in the schematic around the opamps. Does it occur in both channels? If so, that would also suggest digital problems, maybe one of the DAC voltages is not well connected?

Ray

Hi Ray, there is a loud ticking noise when dc offset reading about either 1.6V or 3.3V
check power on pin 4 and 8 of op-amps- running at -11.7v and+11.8 respectively. Check power to dac all +5v thru rd 01 and rd 04.
Also notice some caps around decoder look like it is going to pop as the top is bulging.
Quan.

Hi Ray, there is a loud ticking noise when dc offset reading about either 1.6V or 3.3V
check power on pin 4 and 8 of op-amps- running at -11.7v and+11.8 respectively. Check power to dac all +5v thru rd 01 and rd 04.
Also notice some caps around decoder look like it is going to pop as the top is bulging.
Quan.

I'd check the voltages on those bulging caps, sounds like they're way over-voltage or have reverse polarity on them.

Lee.

Hi guys,

Is Ray about here today ? I am anxiously trying to get in touch with him about a clock design I have. There are three designs actually.

The one in particular promises, if maths are correct, accuracy greater than 0.1% !

It is a K.I.S.S. design and looks very good indeed.

Thanks
Gareth

I need to get some simulations done as I use the pen/paper/calculator technique at the moment, my lecturers insisted on this !

Last edited: