Marantz CD63 & CD67 mods list

Ray I've been testing properly at home for the last 36 hours with all the changes and I have to say it is superb. I do believe it is very linear sounding now (without the ccs inparticular) and the other transistors have brought realism and that analogue sound.

Now it is offering better bass control with a small amount of extra depth. Mid range is slightly cleaner and the very uber levels of upper treble detail I used to get has improved that little bit extra too.

Ok I've had issues with this Dos but for me once some parts are changed this is the best dos pcb to date.

Ray I hope you get the same improvements I found by changing those few things. Also it is a good thing you mentioned the transistor pin out as I forget not everyone knows these things ;-)

Brent

Last edited:
That's beautiful! So this is with the 1k8 resistor, right? Any chance you'd try a LED CCS there, which I described earlier?

I'm still wondering why the BC560's sound so different from the 2SA's then. I had a look at the datasheet and can't find any obvious differences.

Martin, maybe you have an idea?

I guess that SA-7 needs a DOS :D. I'm planning to get a SA-11S2 in the future.

Ray

Last edited:
In respect of the clock design Ray I have also discovered another couple of designs. One is a 4007 Complimentary MOS design, another uses a 74LSxxx Schmitt device and there are variations on these too.

Cheers
Gareth

Hi Gareth,

Ok, just post them and we'll have a look. I saw the 4007 circuit before, can't recall who it was that mailed it to me. Both use CMOS gates and I don't think they are specifically low-jitter, because it looks a lot like the inverter-oscillator that is originally used in the player. But they can be built dirt-cheap, so you can give them a try and see what it sound like.

Ray

Got the old chip out with only 2 damaged pads. Should be able to connect those point to point if I'm careful. Just waiting for a chip to arrive from Hong Kong now, couldn't find them any closer.

New chips arrived and I soldered it in and did the point-to-point corrections. Switched it on and no output on RO. I know I said before that the issue was with LO but maybe I got it wrong before, anyway now not sure whether the issue was with the chip or not:confused:

Investigated a bit further and found a dodgy connection between pin 26 and +ve of CD16, lifted trace. Re-soldered and it's working again.

Didn't really check all the pins on the dac that when I first had the problem as I assumed if it was a power issue the whole channel would go not just half.

So, in hindsight maybe I didn't need to replace the chip but it was good practice to do and I'm chuffed that I managed it to do it.

Still think it's odd that an issue with one of the main power caps on the chip only causes an issue on half a channel, but it's worth knowing for the future.

And the players working again.

Regards

Pete

PS in the meantime I picked up a faulty 67 mkII from ebay, haven't recieved it yet but looks to be clean with just a knackered laser. Longer term it probably makes sense to think about transferring the parts to that, hopefully I'm experienced enough now not to raise so many tracks this time (I know I said that last time I did it;))

I feel a bit like I'm cheating here guys! I've got all the parts available but once again due to the invaluable info published by the jolly nice folks on this thread, I'm able to short cut directly to the improved version! Anyway a big thanks all who have contributed here.

Not long now and I'll have something running to compare to the audio aero!!! Now with a spot of luck, that will be very interesting!!!

Couple of minor set backs!!!

1st, the 10K RC55Y's were missing from the Farnell parcel :-( FOC replacements now on the way YAY!!! and I seem to have mislaid???? one of my 220uF Black Gates grrrr. How on earth does that happen. Needless to say, 3 BG's on the PSU are of little use to me.....

Now I'm just working out what I should do with respect to replacement.

I'm getting there..........slowly!!!!
b2e32d1a.jpg

:eek: Those caps are monstrous! Why didn't you use polystyrenes? They have less piezo-microphonics as well ;)

Ray

I've found silvered mica to be more transparent in the signal path. I've used them for ages in the filters on various TDA implementations and prefer them over styrene (although I do have styrene to try here too!!!) I've never tried mica that big before tho ;)