Marantz CD63 & CD67 mods list

How many 10k players do you have to hand to A/B?

As well has very good cd players coming in for upgrade I have had 'after hour' lockins at the Heathrow and Whittlebury HiFi shows with the cdp connected to some really high end gear. There was not one cdp at that price range that bettered it. The general consensus was the 63 sounded just as detailed but more analogue.

HiFi World magazine were taken aback by it and there could be a review of some sort in the future. Firstly though in next months magazine they are doing a 2 page review of some upgrades I have done ;-)

Brent

Last edited:
As well has very good cd players coming in for upgrade I have had 'after hour' lockins at the Heathrow and Whittlebury HiFi shows with the cdp connected to some really high end gear. There was not one cdp at that price range that bettered it. The general consensus twas the 63 sounded just as detailed but more analogue.

HiFi World magazine were taken aback by it and there could be a review of some sort in the future. Firstly though in next months magazine they are doing a 2 page review of some upgrades I have done ;-)

Brent

About time too .......

Was going to keep my ki for a reference player, see how my mods fair against it. Do i strip out the 63se ive done so far and start again or do the ki? ive put a £1000 limit on mods ok copper chassis and tx in the ki seems a shame when i wanna go of board psu .
alan
ps love to hear whats possible with the 63s mine amazes me .

Was going to keep my ki for a reference player, see how my mods fair against it. Do i strip out the 63se ive done so far and start again or do the ki? ive put a £1000 limit on mods ok copper chassis and tx in the ki seems a shame when i wanna go of board psu .
alan
ps love to hear whats possible with the 63s mine amazes me .

Flog it! buy an SE for £30 if you want something to compare it to and spend the other £170 on parts for you main machine !!!

Seriously, I had a KI and sold it unmolested on evilbay. Can't say I miss the little gold badge and copper chassis!!

Last edited:
Flog it! buy an SE for £30 if you want something to compare it to and spend the other £170 on parts for you main machine !!!

Seriously, I had a KI and sold it unmolested on evilbay. Can't say I miss the little gold badge and copper chassis!!
Aint short on machines ian got another 3 63ses knocking about only 1 ki tho , it aint in the same league as my modded se .gonna get all the bits organised from lee/brent if i get stuck is it ok to ask?. premium stuff only tho c2,spowers,audio upgrade caps, so on .
cheers alan:D

Last edited:
I'm using the 67se case with a 63 pcb inside as the case is slightly wider. No chance of a ki front for me now lol!!

Sell the KI and buy 4 SPowers! You know you want to!!!!!
Lol cash aint the issue,the ki s a bit of hifi history dunno why.
i might leave my main player as is, and start again with a fresh 63se and follow brents mod page dont know what to do for an output stage tho dos,valve, or opamps.
cheers ian alan:D
do like the neutral sound of the lm4562s

Last edited:
I've just recently put in LM4562HAs on little BrownDog adapters in gold plated sockets for potential future rolling, but then I took a look at Ray's DOS kit and I was like A: I'd quite like to build that, and B: **** I need some more Black Gates and Michael Percy has almost run out. I do currently have BG FK 25v 100uF as my op-amp caps though, so I suppose those would get reused. I also have 16v 100uF N series in my amplifier (a la Brent) that I could possibly swap for FKs... Should I junk the LM4562HAs and go DOS?

I'd sort the regulation out first!! It doesn't matter if you end up with opamps or discrete, you'll be needing decent regs. I'll be running the dos with 4 fet regs and a massive separate transformer to start with but i'm not opposed to trying HA's with a modified filter! ;-) with the dos, you'll need to invest in decent output caps to make the most of it.