Marantz CD63 & CD67 mods list

As promised, my hot babe in new outfit. Rather dark day so the photos are not great.

Attachments

• P1020571.JPG
    P1020571.JPG
    604.9 KB · Views: 168
  • P1020574.JPG
    P1020574.JPG
    554.5 KB · Views: 152
  • P1020572.JPG
    P1020572.JPG
    604.5 KB · Views: 156
My names Peter and I'm a CDholic.

I've got about 15. Terrible habit, I have to stop bidding.:eek:

Stupid question time?

I see people use hot melt glue to attach odd bits to the pcbs. Is it at all conductive or can I be generous with it?

Pete

Only 15 ......... I won't tell you how many I've got !!

The only thing to watch out for, with black or white, is it can damage some components as it retains the heat for quite a long time if applied generously !!

Andy

Thank you sir. You nailed it. That was the look I was going for, with the modern touch of the Lexan. I still remember those old Sony's and Marantz from the 80's. They were gorgious.
The Black hot glue is everywhere in my machine. It's almost impossible to remove so be carefull where you get it. As you can see from the pictures, somehow Brent managed to get a perfect circle of it on the puck as both additional mass and I suppose damping. I mean perfect (and intentionally).

Last edited:
Err

Basically any resistor that feeds a 5V to a chip needs removing. At the chip side hole of where the resistor was solder in the out pin of the reg. Tag the gnd down to the ground plane of the pcb (better still run seperate gnd wires back to a star gnd). Run a wire from the main smoothing cap (before the std reg) to the input of the new reg and repeat for all of them. Of course seperate tx and psus is even better for all these regs but that's an whole new world of pain.

Brent
Thanks brent,
All i needed to know back soon withs some pics,
many thanks alan:D

Mines in the dry docks today!

I've just fitted the tracking gears from the CDM 12.4 / 12.5. They have a different angle to them and they track smoother and quiter.

Just about to swap the oscillator on the servo clock to a 8.46 Mhz (currently 16.9Mhz and divide by 2). This will lower the jitter a few PS so hopefully a tiny bit more detail can be retrieved.

Brent

The first reg to add when using an spower is to reg the dac via U164 (unless you are fitting more). Lift U164 and stick it in the dac side hole.

While your at it Remove RF01 (5v resistor to cpu) and stick a std 7805 reg there to isolate the cpu.

No heatsink is required on the spowers in the 63. Don't swap the main 5v reg if you can help it. Eventually this will not do a lot.

Brent

Last edited:
Only 15 ......... I won't tell you how many I've got !!
Andy

You've been doing it longer than me:)

Sadly, I'll probably bever get round to doing anything to a lot of them, they're such similar designs that once you've done one there doesn't seem much point making the same changes to another one. Handy to have them when I fry one that I like though.

Pete