Marantz CD63 & CD67 mods list

Joined 2006
Paid Member
Naim cases ? What do you mean ?

I recently had a big Naim PSU and some small boxed Riaa´s for testing. The cases are medium thickness iron type metal but I did not notice nothing special ... I mean... the cases are very well built and heavy but there seems to be no special bitumen.

Thanks for the explanation, Simon! You are a great help!
I understand now why I didn't like the sound after removing the HDRAM...

BTW, one of the easiest and super-important mods is adding extra 5V regulators all around the player.

I used one 5v regulator for the Clock (and Dac I guess). Did improve a lot! Where should I put the others? On the dac/digitalfilter there are 5 of them. So should I put 5 regulators on them? Can I use the same MC7805ACTG as from the KI-mods list (Q811)? There are only +5volts (no -5V)?

By the way, I found the picture where to put the 8v regulators. You guys are amazing! :worship:

Just to be sure: for ordering caps I can always go for a higher value and voltage? Some values I can only order in packages of 5. What about caps that are shown as 16V or 16VDC. Is there any difference? For example for C813/814: PANASONIC|ECOS1CP223CA|CAPACITOR, 22000UF, 16V | Farnell Nederland

Yup I'm building a music house! Trouble with all these "minor" tweaks like the bitumen pads and the other stuff is that the effects are hard to hear/qualify and accumulative. The fuse tweak is however not a minor one. I promised pictures and I will come thru but it's a few weeks away still. Getting the side cheeks just right is rather challanging. I should have stellar bass by now but I fear my TL's are just not good enough to get it. I look longingly at 2nd hand speakers for sale in the states (on AudioCircle forum) but that's as far as I can go...look and lust. I wonder what magic Ray has been up to. He's been rather quiet lately. Aside from Brent's external power supply's, it would appear "we" have gone as far with these players as is possible?

Last edited:
Just to be sure: for ordering caps I can always go for a higher value and voltage? Some values I can only order in packages of 5. What about caps that are shown as 16V or 16VDC. Is there any difference? For example for C813/814: PANASONIC|ECOS1CP223CA|CAPACITOR, 22000UF, 16V | Farnell Nederland

That cap will do a good job, get one for the negative rail too, personally I would spend double and buy the Mundorf SI 25V 22000uF caps (then try to squeeze them in).

V and VDC is just the way they have been entered onto their database, no difference.

I run my servo pre reg at +/- 16.8V and regged at +/- 12V (using SPowers of course), I found the player to be more stable at reading, tracking and sound quality.

Brent

Last edited:
I remember when this thread started both of us were fairly ignorant regarding the 63/67s and have learned a lot over this time.

Not wanting to nit pick here but the thread was 5 years and 8 months old when you 1st contributed. I think that’s a little insulting to the many who have actually contributed so much over time, empowering the rest of us.

I myself only started to contribute at the end of 2008. To start with, there was much taking but its nice to give back when the opportunity presents itself.

The principles I have learned here have rekindled my interest in electronics. Especially audio. I served as an apprentice in a TV repair shop for 3 years when I left school. Much that didn't make sense then, does now. Mainly thanks to the info here. I have successfully modified several 63's, a 67, CD50's, philips CD753, a couple of Meridian 207's, a TEAC VRDS 10 and built several DAC's, one from completely from scratch. My CD960 is very highly modified. I've applied all the principles learned here and I now have equipment that punches way above what I could afford to buy. I thank all of the guy's who have made all this possible for me.

:worship: :D

Last edited:
Oh man leave my debut here were they are :)

Anyway, got a 63SE here and that is a different beast that a CD-43! It's heavy!
Even the top brace is thicker that the main case, wich has an additional plate under. I'm wondering if I should transplant... ;) Do the normal 63 has that?
I was just planning to fix, mod a bit and resell it to but the txs, now I wonder if i should keep it as deluxe-spare.

Naim cases ? What do you mean ?

I recently had a big Naim PSU and some small boxed Riaa´s for testing. The cases are medium thickness iron type metal but I did not notice nothing special ... I mean... the cases are very well built and heavy but there seems to be no special bitumen.

Sorry for the confusing post. I meant fitting bitumen pads to the Marantz cases. They would have no effect on Naim cases due to the thickness of the steel inner and aluminium shell.

Oh man leave my debut here were they are :)

Anyway, got a 63SE here and that is a different beast that a CD-43! It's heavy!
Even the top brace is thicker that the main case, wich has an additional plate under. I'm wondering if I should transplant... ;) Do the normal 63 has that?
I was just planning to fix, mod a bit and resell it to but the txs, now I wonder if i should keep it as deluxe-spare.

The standard 63 does not have the top brace or the additional underplate.

Just an heads up on output caps when using a Dos.

Last week I removed the Mundorf Supreme Silver / Gold DC blocking caps and replaced with the Silver / Oil types. Left them to run in over the holidays. The sound from the oils is silkier and the treble is still detailed and sublime. These are very analogue capacitors without the drawback of no detail.

The only drawback is the physical size 40 x 60 approx as apposed to the supremes which were 35 x 53

Brent

It's a shame that ampohm bailed out. I have a few of those and they were very nice caps fairly close to STD supreme's for a fraction of the cost. I'm going to try silver/gold (non oily) for now when I finally get round to the new I/V for my player. Hopefully they'll be a nice step up from the supreme's I had before.

Ampohm went bust but the guys who worked for them bought the factory and produce the same parts. They are called Audiohm now.

The Silver/Gold are more detailed and offer more clarity and air over std Supremes

Brent