Marantz CD63 & CD67 mods list

Here's a close-up of the finished board.

Attachments

• IMG_5957_sm.jpg
    IMG_5957_sm.jpg
    284.3 KB · Views: 207
That looks nice and expensive.

Thanks! It's a hobby, so it's supposed to cost money I always say :D. And I waited for Partsconnexion to have a sale on caps! The Rel-caps are a bit pricey, the BG FK's and shuntregs were salvaged from my previous board.

And it is with these dutch regs! They feature PPS now?

Yes, those are the Tentlabs shunts. And no, they do not come with PPS, guess who put them there... :cool:. I'm hoping to spin a few discs this afternoon.

Ray

Sure, I will post here as soon as my final verdict is ready, but for now, it's all positive!

Me too, but I sort of hate it when you improve on something I already have installed:(;)

Well, that can be arranged :D. Maybe shipping to Holland is cheaper because it can be over land ;)
No, just kidding, I don't even have another board for this! Maybe i'm going to redesign mine in the future and update it with the new circuit once my current stock runs out.

Ray

Last edited:
Here's a close-up of the finished board.

That is a really nice pic of a really nice board. I have waited a long time for Ray to finish his new Dos board and install it in his player.
I have been listening to this circuit, in various incarnations, for a year now. It is simply fantastic! At present there is only one other person besides Ray and myself, with this circuit in a player. He likes it too.
The biggest thing with the cfp circuit is that it allows the music to naturally float into the room without any signal compression. This was apparent to me at first listen, when I just had the new parts under the board of a well used Dos board. In a totally new board, with all new caps, it might take a bit of time before this naturalness to really become apparent. It might take a couple of months, or more, before everything is all settled in.

Steve

Hi Steve,
I'm just the "complaint dept." guy, in fact I have resistors (6.2K for R13/R14 and 91R to add in serie to 820R R7/R8) and just need some BC560 to hack my DOS, no need of PCB here ;) As you remember you made a how-to even if it's just 4 parts to add. Some others resistors values have been slightly changed but I hope I don't need to change them.
Wonder if ordering BC560 from fleaBay is a good option, (too cheap to make fake items?) or even if matching the BC560 is useless there...

for new comers, link to Steve's how-to:
http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/digi...ntz-cd63-cd67-mods-list-1429.html#post2123030

About the coils, how much are they important? On T-amp they are, here also music flow through, I use the ones advised in Ray's original .pdf, Ray, any real better choice now? Maybe great gains by doin' that CFP than wasting time on already good coils ;)

OMG, I also noticed I mounted the Styroflex the wrong way! Ray, please say it won't change the sound in real world, please!

Last edited:
About the coils, how much are they important? On T-amp they are, here also music flow through, I use the ones advised in Ray's original .pdf, Ray, any real better choice now? Maybe great gains by doin' that CFP than wasting time on already good coils ;)

OMG, I also noticed I mounted the Styroflex the wrong way! Ray, please say it won't change the sound in real world, please!

No, there are no new developments around the inductors. The ideal situation would be to match them for each channel, with an RCL meter if you have a batch to pick them from (I did that :)). As there are no 1% tolerance parts available that I know of, the next best thing is to use the 5% parts and hope for the best ;)

Oh no, now you have to desolder everything... wrong polarized styroflexes have the tendency to explode over time!

Ray

CD67 Mod List updated & converted

Here's number two:
Hello there
When I recently looked for an upgrade and modification for my CD67/OSE I found this extensive thread with a lot of information. Great - but somewhat frightening, too.
As I am not an electronics engineer - but eager to try some mods - can anybody help me in updating and translating a mod list to a purchasing list for any electronic parts distributor selling in Switzerland (e.g. I understand Farnell does).
My problem is when searching for parts I either get no hits (new versions, replacements?) or too many choices I cannot judge.
I have been searching this thread a while for a recent CD67 list, but wasn`t successful.
Any help and support is appreciated. Maybe other new readers (who can locate parts on a PCB and do some soldering) may be interested, too.
Thanks in advance,
Markus