Marantz CD63 & CD67 mods list - Page 8 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Source & Line > Digital Source

Digital Source Digital Players and Recorders: CD , SACD , Tape, Memory Card, etc.

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 6th January 2006, 04:12 PM   #71
SimontY is offline SimontY  United Kingdom
diyAudio Member

Send a message via MSN to SimontY
On a different note, has anyone tried removing the transformer and housing it in a separate box, for purposes of isolation?

My clock psu is external, so I thought I could combine them in one box and have no transformers in the player, just a DIN connector or molex style or similar.

6h5c, if you don't mind me asking, what would your preferred voltage regulator setup be?

thanks
Old 6th January 2006, 04:20 PM   #72
6h5c is offline 6h5c  Netherlands
One Seriously Addicted to Audio and Electronics
diyAudio Member

Default Re: Re: Ouch

Quote:
Originally posted by SimontY

He is using 2134, so yes, it has been done.

I have used 2132 for a while and assessed it over many months. Then I moved to 627bp, and it is another league entirely. If you cannot hear this clearly you may need to upgrade speakers, amps, cabling, room, supports, mains etc.

For sure, several combinations should be tried, unless they're insanely expensive.
Hi Simon,

I was referring to an OPA132 in the filter part, that works o.k. I find it comes short after the DAC. An OPA627 will indeed do better there.
Finding the right combination for DAC and filter takes a lot of listening and experimenting.

Ray.
Old 6th January 2006, 04:25 PM   #73
diyAudio Member

Default Re: Re: Re: Ouch

Quote:
Originally posted by 6h5c

I was referring to an OPA132 in the filter part, that works o.k. I find it comes short after the DAC. An OPA627 will indeed do better there.
Ok, thanks. I am reluctant to take apart my 627 boards, but for greater knowledge I will need to hear more combinations, and I am willing to believe it could be even better (than 2 x 627bp). But when I put these in I was so impressed compared to the previous dual op-amps I tried: JRC2114, OPA2604, OPA2132 - all of these sound very flawed in one way or another by comparison. But I have not tried 627 in combination with something else. I will need to get more adapters and try this in the future
Old 6th January 2006, 04:30 PM   #74
diyAudio Member

Quote:
6h5c, if you don't mind me asking, what would your preferred voltage regulator setup be?

thanks
Hi Simon,

My favorite setup would be an active regulator with passive filtering, maybe some small chokes. But that doesn't fit in the cabinet

Ray.
Old 6th January 2006, 04:31 PM   #75
JZatopa is offline JZatopa  United States
diyAudio Member

Well I would like to mod my cd53 but I have never moded a player electricly before. I do know how to use a soldering iron though. I know I could go through and do every mod listed but I think for my first try I want to go small. If you had to decide on the three mods that make the largest improvement what would they be? I have a feeling that changing the opamps is going to be in the list but I am not sure.
Old 6th January 2006, 04:32 PM   #76
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally posted by DJNUBZ
Well I would like to mod my cd53 but I have never moded a player electricly before. I do know how to use a soldering iron though. I know I could go through and do every mod listed but I think for my first try I want to go small. If you had to decide on the three mods that make the largest improvement what would they be? I have a feeling that changing the opamps is going to be in the list but I am not sure.
Hello!

1 - remove dc blocking caps and short the spaces with a piece of wire

2 - add an after market clock

3 - power the clock with dedicated power

4 - change the op-amps

Damn, four!! But that's the four that are needed IMO, other than the obvious mechanical changes!
Old 6th January 2006, 04:36 PM   #77
diyAudio Member

Default Re: Re: Re: Re: Ouch

Quote:

Ok, thanks. I am reluctant to take apart my 627 boards, but for greater knowledge I will need to hear more combinations, and I am willing to believe it could be even better (than 2 x 627bp). But when I put these in I was so impressed compared to the previous dual op-amps I tried: JRC2114, OPA2604, OPA2132 - all of these sound very flawed in one way or another by comparison. But I have not tried 627 in combination with something else. I will need to get more adapters and try this in the future
Hi,

I use mainly single opamps, with the SMD's mounted on some extra DIL adapters. I compared a lot of combinations with a single to dual DIL adapter. There lot's of good opamps only available in SO-8 these days.

Ray.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg opamp_adapters_dil.jpg (16.7 KB, 2778 views)
Old 6th January 2006, 04:38 PM   #78
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally posted by DJNUBZ

Quote:

Hello!

1 - remove dc blocking caps and short the spaces with a piece of wire

2 - add an after market clock

3 - power the clock with dedicated power

4 - change the op-amps

Damn, four!! But that's the four that are needed IMO, other than the obvious mechanical changes!

Don't forget to remove the muting transistors!

Ray.
Old 6th January 2006, 04:44 PM   #79
diyAudio Member

Both the CD63 and CD6000 families are let down by the single tracking layer plus ground plane aproach. Most of the chips and decoupling have very indirect 0V connections. A few well placed chip ceramics might have far more effect than all of these audiophile exotica being suggested.

I have a CD63SE (died from the servo chip warm up problem) and a Marantz 6000 OSE (with servo chip warm up problem), the latter actually looks like a cost down with the extra DAC and HDAMs thrown in for marketing excitement.

Looking at the supplies around the smd chips, even their 0V connections are noisy and the +5V is worse. The master clock is obviously jittery and the 470R series termination resistors in the clock outputs to the DACs and servo is too large, turning the secondary clocks into 3V pk-pk triangle waves. A suitable ferrite bead could give a much cleaner clock.
Old 6th January 2006, 04:45 PM   #80
diyAudio Member

Default Re: adapters

Quote:
Originally posted by 6h5c

Hi,

I use mainly single opamps, with the SMD's mounted on some extra DIL adapters. I compared a lot of combinations with a single to dual DIL adapter. There lot's of good opamps only available in SO-8 these days.

Ray.
Interesting. The pic, which is good, makes me wonder about all the extra trace and pin path for the signal. Does this not make it of paramount importance to place psu caps on each op-amp?

cheers

Hide this!Advertise here!