Marantz CD63 & CD67 mods list - Page 798 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Source & Line > Digital Source

Digital Source Digital Players and Recorders: CD , SACD , Tape, Memory Card, etc.

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 12th October 2007, 04:53 PM   #7971
6h5c is offline 6h5c  Netherlands
One Seriously Addicted to Audio and Electronics
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally posted by avr300
The interesting numbers here (beside the graphics) must be std. dev. 19 / 67.
Yep, that's how I got it, according to this pic ezkcdude posted, 1 standard deviation equals rms jitter.
So all the rms measurements I did can be trashed , there's no sense in calculating rms from rms, it all should have been p-p . Lucky I did both...

Ray
Old 12th October 2007, 08:47 PM   #7972
diyAudio Member

Hi everyone

I’ve discovered this thread a few weeks ago while searching for mods on my Marantz 63KI, it took a LOT of reading to get through all the posts but I can say it was worth every minute.

Thanks to everybody that participated in sharing all this information especially Ray, Brent and Simon for all the effort you’ve put into this.

I’ve built my own 200W ClassA Monoblock amplifiers, almost finished with a set of 2.5way transmission line loudspeakers with Seas Excel drivers and my pre-amp should be “finished” in a month, so I think it is time to get working on the CD player.

At the moment only one question to Ray, I’ve noticed that you use a single-ended design on your discrete cd-output stage, would you prefer this to a classA push-pull output stage for sound quality?

Thanks again

André
Old 13th October 2007, 03:04 PM   #7973
diyAudio Member

Hi and welcome Andre

Simon will be getting excited over your seas

You definatly need to upgrade the cd player with all that nice audio you have built

Brent
Old 13th October 2007, 05:32 PM   #7974
Glenn2 is offline Glenn2  United Kingdom
diyAudio Member

Hi Brent,

I finally got that cheapo glue gun from Maplin just now. (My local branch has been having a refit in the basement where all the interesting stuff lives.)

If you cast your mind back I asked you about silencing the SE transformer buzz. Where exactly do I apply the glue? Into the middle where the windings are, or peel the tape off and apply to the sides of the laminations?

Cheers....
Old 13th October 2007, 05:40 PM   #7975
Glenn2 is offline Glenn2  United Kingdom
diyAudio Member

Who needs Black Gates.... Look...
Old 13th October 2007, 09:26 PM   #7976
6h5c is offline 6h5c  Netherlands
One Seriously Addicted to Audio and Electronics
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Andre Visser
At the moment only one question to Ray, I’ve noticed that you use a single-ended design on your discrete cd-output stage, would you prefer this to a classA push-pull output stage for sound quality?

Thanks again

André
Hi André,

I never tried the outputstage with a PP outputstage, but the HDAM circuit is PP, maybe it's worth an experiment? I can imagine in this case the same applies as with other SE/PP situations considering distortion etc.

Regards,

Ray
Old 14th October 2007, 11:13 AM   #7977
diyAudio Member

Thanks Brent, after all the positive results I’ve read about, I can’t wait to hear it.

Ray, I’ve never tried a SE output stage before, as you say it’s worth an experiment. (Although after reading about that “Amber Pavane”, I think it is a much easier solution than going through all these mods. )

Thanks

André
Old 14th October 2007, 02:33 PM   #7978
xaudiox is offline xaudiox  Philippines
diyAudio Member

Default Re: Re: Need Help! please!

Quote:
Originally posted by xaudiox
Hi guys,

Just received a CD63 SE from a friend.. however it has problems.. sometimes it failed to spin the CD, sometimes the CD will spin a bit then it will spin in reverse and then it will stop. But a few times it will work flawlessly..

Have download the service manual from Ray's site (thanks Ray!).

Press play and stop to enter in Service Mode. i found out that i have a Focus Problem/error ( Err 02).

does anyone know what i can do?

regards!

Quote:
Originally posted by 6h5c

My best guess is: replace the laserunit
But before that, you can try turning the small trimmer on the flexible foil a bit clockwise. If that cures your problems, it's the laser.

Regards,

Ray
just an update.. after weeks of trying to fix the problem with no luck.. i decided to replaced the laserunit.. I went to local electronics shop in my surprised they have VAM1202 instock.. i bought 2pcs and put one on my CD63.. now its working flawlessly..

i can now start doin some mods to this baby.. hehe

thanks guys!
Old 14th October 2007, 03:59 PM   #7979
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Glenn2
Hi Brent,

If you cast your mind back I asked you about silencing the SE transformer buzz. Where exactly do I apply the glue? Into the middle where the windings are, or peel the tape off and apply to the sides of the laminations?

Cheers....
Once the tx is out, warm the glue gun up for a good 10 mins so its really hot. Turn the tx upside down and fill inside the tx with the hot glue. The hotter the glue the more it runs into every corner.
Hopefully this will cure the noise

Brent
Old 14th October 2007, 04:01 PM   #7980
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Glenn2
Who needs Black Gates.... Look...
LMAO

Brent

Hide this!Advertise here!