Marantz CD63 & CD67 mods list - Page 700 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Source & Line > Digital Source

Digital Source Digital Players and Recorders: CD , SACD , Tape, Memory Card, etc.

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 26th June 2007, 09:39 AM   #6991
diyAudio Member

Digital telly transport stream demux, all in assembly with only 15 mnemonics. Five years. You'd get less for murder I'm sure.
I wouldn't recommend it to anyone for more than 4 hours, once the novelty's worn off. Get a compiler's my best advice.
Anyway, I survived, that's the main thing.
Old 26th June 2007, 09:44 AM   #6992
diyAudio Member

Hehe I did a little on that and its one of the most boring things in the world - second only to learning about transistor/diode depletion layers and their atomic workings at college FFS. There were 5 suicides during those lessons

Brent
Old 26th June 2007, 10:01 AM   #6993
diyAudio Member

Sounds like your college course was a barrel of laughs!
I used to find state space methods (doing control theory with matrices) the perfect opportunity to flatline.
We also had to endure (to gain IEE accreditation) economics, finance, business studies, and Total Quality Management.
I really struggled with the coursework for those courses, just trying to motivate myself to finish them, but at least I was never sleep deprived as a student.

Five suicides? How did they do it? Was it simply by having 'please don't resuscitate' on a pendant round their necks? I'd be to busy comatosing to have the energy to do the deed in a lecture like that
Old 26th June 2007, 10:07 AM   #6994
diyAudio Member

LOL

Just by staring in to the lectures 'excited by atoms' eyes would send you into a state of comotos. People trying to fight it either cut their wrists or jumped out of the window (four floors up)!

The digital and instrumentation classes were more exciting

Oh Boolian algebra was also crap!

HND BTW

Brent
Old 26th June 2007, 10:19 AM   #6995
diyAudio Member

LMAO!
I remember they tried to trick us into going to lectures on logic, and Boolean algebra and stuff, by calling it predicate calculus. It didn't take long after the first lecture for attendance levels to plummet.
Old 26th June 2007, 10:21 AM   #6996
diyAudio Member

LOL

We found a good pub that did chip butties and 1 a pint on John Smiths (back in the day)

Brent
Old 26th June 2007, 10:43 AM   #6997
diyAudio Member

1 a pint. Those WERE the days weren't they!
I'd like to say I remember them well, but I was drinking too much cheap beer.
Old 26th June 2007, 01:26 PM   #6998
Joe-HT is offline Joe-HT  Thailand
diyAudio Member

Question cd63, x02 and problems

Hello (tip of hat all around).
I'm not sure if calculus, beer or xo2 is more OT after 700 pages, but I need help if you please...
Finally after years decided to try a tent x02. (btw-Love my cd63 with all the tnt and accoustica mods, not to mention afew from here.)

Three wires, not too hard i'd think.

purple- clock signal to pin 28.
(actually just to u196 about 1/2'' from 28 and on top of the pcb. black- ground to the leg of c005 since it is on top and closest to the sm5872.
red- 10 to 35volts should work according to tent labs (which seems to be down, btw) I grabbed 12v from u216 next to the hdam since it's easy.

powers up- no smoke!
insert disc- laser tries to focus twice, display flashes twice (normal) then stays on 'disk'.

I have tried checking all connections, reseating all ribbons, confirming ground on the x02, moving ground to R002 where the old crystal connected.

Suggestions appreciated!

Thanks for the help, both previous and future!

(I think I'll have a screwdriver instead of beer!)
Attached Images
File Type: jpg xo-mounting.jpg (96.1 KB, 252 views)
Old 26th June 2007, 03:38 PM   #6999
diyAudio Member

Hello guys,

I am thinking about ordering a bunch of parts for my CD63 MKII KI. BursonAudio clock and a load of parts from farnell. But I am still not shure what kind of capacitors to use for the filter. What would be best, polystyrene or silver mica?

Also, any updates on Ray's partlist would be great. Ill probably order about 80% of it. Plus copper tape, 3 toriods (2x 2x6V 30VA + 1x 2x15V 30VA) 6 regulators with dual ZLH's and SMD bypass caps and extra diodes. I already have some new mains with ground and input filter.

I have already switched opamps to OPA2134 (LM4562 is next), power supply around DAC & opamps is all STD & NQ blackgate, switched regulators, removed mute and headphone circuit, removed output capacitors and did some small modifications. It already sounds wonderfull, but there is more to gain. The level of detail is just creepy
Old 26th June 2007, 03:43 PM   #7000
SimontY is offline SimontY  United Kingdom
diyAudio Member

Send a message via MSN to SimontY
The level of detail is superb when you put a new clock in. Either of those caps are fine. I don't think you'll find anybody that can tell you one is better than the other. Brent has used all silver mica, Ray and some others have used polystyrene. I've used the latter and of course I'm very happy. Or I was till I broke my player again.

Regards,
Simon

Hide this!Advertise here!