Marantz CD63 & CD67 mods list

Joined 2006
Paid Member
Hi Matthieu

I see you know what I have here :)

I am much more confident now so probably I will start with the servo regs and follow with the coax.

It will be a major mod so I will also replace the dreadfull white ribbon (and connectors) by a soldered professional ribbon I got from a Friend a long time ago :)

Also, this revisit made me realyze I overdid some aspects in the several PSU´s...... So much to do.....

Ricardo

During my lasts upgrades, I have damaged the ribbon cable to the transport a bit (one of the metal strips on the connecting bit of the cable is letting lose). The player still works, but I can't do any work on it anymore, out of fear it will be its last.

Does anyone have a solution, or a place where I can get a replacement?

You can hard-wire it with some ribbon, or if you email me lee -at- diyhi-fi -dot-co-uk I'll send you one from my old busted up for spares player.

Cheers, Lee.

After serious listening sessions I consider this to be a major upgrade.

The sound is much more integrated, bass much more detailed with great differentiation of instrument´s tone (Big mudled bass is gone).

Is this due to much lower ESR in the new cap or was the 50000uF of similar quality?

If you want to retain the high capacitance you could try 2 in parallel??

Well I decided to finally try output transformers so I could make my own mind up on how they sound. I used a couple of Lundahl LL1527 connected directly to RO, RON and LO, LON. I wired both sets of windings in parallel and directly to some extra RCA sockets (insulated). One output becomes ground.

The sound is good and bad, I have to say. I am comparing to 4562 op-amps + HDAM (-muting, -caps, all Silmics decoupling). The sound is much less harsh, much smoother, and there's a certain magic in there but it's struggling to fully emerge. It is just a bit laid back to the point of sounding lazy and lost and a touch flat. There's also quite a lot of noise when turned up but I probably need to move a power supply wire out of the way to deal with that.

I might try the transformers connected after the first op-amp next and see if that has a better rounded mixture of sonic attributes.

Simon

There are some big positives like the better imaging and hugely reduced edginess and paper thin midrange the CD63 tends to suffer with. Piano is notably improved. I just sort of miss the impact of the active stages. Furthermore vocals are a bit recessed, male and female.

The best output section is still easily Ray's passive filter + simple discrete active stage (of the options I've heard). Second best would be Burson discrete op-amps and no HDAM... I'm not sure where transformers fit in but it would suit some ears and systems very well I feel. Worst is either op-amps + HDAM or just op-amps, depending on your preference.

Simon

Hmm, of all things Dr Dre sounds good on transformers. His production style is quite compressed and upfront but also well balanced in my opinion. Everything comes across with 20% less impact and 50% more smoothness, and that is a good thing. It's perhaps like vinyl with a bit less bass swagger and overall dynamics - and no crackle or limited frequency response.

Simon,

I tried transformer output at the same time as I was trying the tube output.
(Admittedly, not for long .)

I thought the sound was very similar to the tube output I was trying at the time open, not too bright and a little shy on the bass but very nice to listen to.

I was using mic matching transformers but I cannot find the make etc.

Andy

Hi Andy, nice to hear some more impressions about the transformers. My Lundahls say they are for microphones on them but in reality they suit a variety of line level applications and are quite versatile having a good frequency response and twin primaries and secondaries.

I think connecting after the first op-amp could give what's missing and hopefully not ruin the mature, refined sound they give.

Simon

Hi Ray,

Have you tried output transformers on a cd player? I've not reached a final conclusion yet... and they are getting better with some hours on them. Some music sounds very analogue with this set-up. Piano is rather decent.

Simon

No, I never did. I stuck with the DOS, and never experimented any further, to be honest. They can sound very good (I have two big ones in my amp's output stage) but for line levels they just don't seem an appealing choice. Maybe i'm thinking too narrow-minded, but for me a tranny is useful when you need galvanic isolation, or stepping down AC voltage :D

Ray

You are absolutely right, it is a very good and simple solution for what is normally done by a lot more components. I should like it :D, but I don't know why I never got to it. I think it is also the large number of models to choose from, and to sort out which one is best for the task that held me back. But I guess if you buy a decent 1+1:1+1 you can't go wrong now that I look at it :)

Ray